SLG3000 and Sync Strike

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
Does anyone own the SLG3000 and/or Sync Strike?

I'm considering buying these 2 pieces of hardware, but wanted some feedback before I do.

For those who don't know what these are:

The SLG3000 is a Scan Line Generator. It basically takes a VGA signal and generates CRT style scanlines into the image to make older games and system graphics looks correct on a modern LCD monitor or TV.

The Sync Strike converts a SCART RGB source into a 15Hz VGA output.

So you can see that these 2 devices work very well together as the Sync Strike can convert the output from an old console or Computer via RGB scart into a 15Hz VGA signal, then the SLG3000 can add Scan Lines to the signal. This could then be passed on to an upscaler like the GBS-2880 to then upscale the signal to display on a standard LCD monitor via VGA.

This does mean you will have 3 boxes in series between the source system and the display. It also requires that 2 of these devices are externally powered from a 5V 2A PSU. I'm thinking it should however be possible to integrate all these into a single case with a single PSU, with just a SCART input and a VGA output, plus access to the various adjustment controls provides on each device.

What are peoples thoughts on this setup?

I've got the SLG 3000 and its great. It only works effectively at 640 x 480 setting on GBS (800x600 doesn't work and 1024x768 it looks weird as the scanlines are so thin).

I had my GBS set with sharpness right down before I got the SLG and that helps a little with the blockyness, but once I got the SLG i've not looked back. Its a little pricey though for such a simple feature. Shame its not built into the GBS.

I'm ordering a Sync Strike today so will let you know how it works when it arrives.

I'm also going to integrate them all in an old DVB-T STB casing. Ready made scart socket holes, and quite a good size for fitting it all in.

Watched a couple of youtube videos just now about it and decided it was something I needed, so have just placed the order. :)

I now need to source a nice PSU that can power both the Sync Strike (if needed), and the GBS8220. Any ideas?

I have been powering the GBS8220 from the Amiga directly today and it has been working well, but I want a more standalone setup, and also to see if I can get the Amiga to supply the input via the upscaler's VGA input to remove the cable clutter, so a single PSU solution would be better IMO.

Yeah I saw on the other thread! Great stuff! :)

Well if it helps the PSU I use is a random generic 5V 2A switching PSU I found at work that used to power a WiFi Bridge. Its model number is DP15-0503000A4. This has been powering my GBS and SLG together for the last couple of months now no probs.

I plan to join the power from the GBS internal +5V "input" along to the Sync Strike and hope that it all works ok with the single PSU.

I'd like to get a PC Engine soon and that will deffo need a bit of boosting of RGB and the SS to extract CSync from CVideo. I also plan to mod my CD32 to output RGB (whilst I wait for the Indi 2 to appear) and see how that works too with the SS. My only problem will be, that I have to swap the SCART plugs all the time. Maybe have to look at making a SCART junction box/splitter/selector! :)

I already have a scart selection box connected to the old 32" CRT TV in my office come games room, but I really want to get rid of that huge TV as it takes up so much room, which is really the main reason for looking at the Sync Strike in the first place. So I'm planning to just move the existing scart switch box over to use with the new setup.

Obviously using a switching scart box will mean that there won't be any power from the scart to power the Sync Strike internally, so an external PSU will be needed.

One thing worth mentioning is to avoid any auto switching scart boxes as they badly degrade the image quality. I always use manual switching units if I can.

My Sync Strike arrived today, with the perspex case and it looks very nicely made. The plastic has been expertly cut/machined and really does finish it off nicely. I also ordered the similar perspex casing for the GBS-8220 and that arrived with it, again to the same standard.

I will be putting the GBS-8220 in its new case this afternoon and will then post a couple of pictures showing them both off. Plus of course testing out the new Sync Strike.

Exciting stuff. Early Xmas present! :) Just don't tell the wife! :shhh: ;)

Here's a picture of both in their new cases. :)

Attachments

• Sync_Strike_GBS8220_cases_2.jpg
    Sync_Strike_GBS8220_cases_2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1
They look great mate! :) I'm still waiting for mine. I think they favoured you because you ordered the fancy perspex casing. *RAAAASSSSP* ;)

I think the GBS-8220 case was €10 so not hugely expensive. I also like these cases so you can still see everything, but know they are fairly well protected.

@Phipscube. That is annoying you haven't got your one yet. Did you get update emails from the company with progress and shipping updates? I received a fair few following the whole progress to the point the parcel shipped. And when it arrived the parcel needed to be signed for, just in case you might have missed the post?

@Harrison, I got an email yesterday saying they'd dispatched my Sync Strike. I ordered it over a week ago so not sure what held it up, but its on its way now so hopefully i'll get it early in the week :)

I got the sync strike now and i've tested it with my Neo Geo. Its working grand :) Still the odd Screen glitch but seems a little better going through sync strike (I've got Composite Video connected instead of pure sync now so I know other consoles without sync will work).

Back
Top Bottom