PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Calendar Quiz! December #1

arnljot
1st December 2011, 01:24
This is the first of the daily advent questions.

The goal is to collect as many points as you can until the 24th of December when the last question is asked.

The winner after 24 questions collects €150 to spend at AmigaKit.

The rules are:

Prize is €150 funds to spend on AmigaKit.
Staff of Amibay are unable to participate (members with access to Staff chat area where correct answers are kept).
There will be posted one question each day.
First 5 posters after a question is published will be awarded points in declining order; 5, 4, 3 ,2 and 1 point.
Questions with bonus points award points evenly between five first posters.
It's not allowed to edit your post, if you do your answer is disqualified.
Members disrupting the quiz with off topic posts or otherwise disrupting behavior will be disqualified from compo and might earn a freeze on their account.
Points are tallied each day.
Compo is open to any member of AmiBay since December 1st 2011
Winner is announced after 24th of December 2011, before 31st of December 2011. Most likely the 25th :wink:
Play nice, it's mostly for fun.

Now, to the first question:

Question:
Which American rock band have received tribute in Amiga hardware? For a bonus name the hardware, one point for each.
Scoring of this question:

5 points to first correct poster
4 points to second correct poster
3 points to third correct poster
2 points to fourth correct poster
1 point to fifth correct poster.

The first five correct posters can score up to 3 extra points on this one.

easypreacher
1st December 2011, 14:30
The B-52's

Chinners
1st December 2011, 14:34
B52's
A500
A600
A1200

z3spacial
1st December 2011, 14:37
The B52s in the Amiga 500 (Rock Lobster :) )

FOL
1st December 2011, 14:45
This is the first of the daily advent questions.

The goal is to collect as many points as you can until the 24th of December when the last question is asked.

The winner after 24 questions collects €150 to spend at AmigaKit.

Is this open to Amigakit staff members too, :).
Im only joking, nice idea though.

Sorry for off topic, just wanted to say nice idea.

Merlin
1st December 2011, 14:50
^^^
Disqualified - but I am disqualfied too, anyway.....:lol:

Justin
1st December 2011, 14:54
B-52s

arnljot
1st December 2011, 14:54
Sorry for off topic, just wanted to say nice idea.

Thanks, itīs just a bit of Advent fun. Weīve got lots of great questions lined up. We hope everyone will participate even though only the first 5 are scored. Itīs to keep administration of the compo to a minimum, and minimize the impact google has on these kind of things :)

Justin
1st December 2011, 14:56
B-52s

(although a little unfair as the person that will win will be the person able to spend the most time refreshing the amibay pages, as some loyal members can only log on from time to time due to other commitments)

arnljot
1st December 2011, 15:06
Itīll average out I hope. As I donīt think Iīll post each days question at the same time each day.

Iīm the one managing the compo, and Iīve got commitments too besides this site. Some days Iīll post the question in the morning, other days in the evening, or during my lunch hour as today.

And just wait, I do really hope that youīll find some of these questions hard, so that itīll take some time to figure out what the answer is.

Also, you can all subscribe to the forum, and each question thread so you can get an e-mail when the forum updates. When the next thread arrives, I can also post at this thread so that people subscribing can know that there is movement :)

But remember, itīs most for fun and games. I canīt wait to see how you guys will do on some of the questions thatīs in store...

fatbob_gb
1st December 2011, 15:21
Ooo let me guess?

Could it be the B-52s?

A500 - Rock Lobster
A600 - June Bug
A1200 - Channel Z

FOL
1st December 2011, 20:24
Itīll average out I hope. As I donīt think Iīll post each days question at the same time each day.

Iīm the one managing the compo, and Iīve got commitments too besides this site. Some days Iīll post the question in the morning, other days in the evening, or during my lunch hour as today.

And just wait, I do really hope that youīll find some of these questions hard, so that itīll take some time to figure out what the answer is.

Also, you can all subscribe to the forum, and each question thread so you can get an e-mail when the forum updates. When the next thread arrives, I can also post at this thread so that people subscribing can know that there is movement :)

But remember, itīs most for fun and games. I canīt wait to see how you guys will do on some of the questions thatīs in store...

I do see one possible problem though.
TimeZones.

arnljot
1st December 2011, 20:31
TimeZones.

We've discussed this. That's why some questions will come in the morning, while other at evening/night. It'll be +/-12h on time of day, so it'll give everyone a fighting chance :)

Besides, like we see from todays question; not everyone collects all the bonus points... So it'll be a thriller I think.

Now, any further questions about the particulars of the compo can be directed to me in PM, and the staff and I will discuss them :)

Happy Advent Quizzing!

FOL
1st December 2011, 20:37
TimeZones.

We've discussed this. That's why some questions will come in the morning, while other at evening/night. It'll be +/-12h on time of day, so it'll give everyone a fighting chance :)

Besides, like we see from todays question; not everyone collects all the bonus points... So it'll be a thriller I think.

Now, any further questions about the particulars of the compo can be directed to me in PM, and the staff and I will discuss them :)

Happy Advent Quizzing!

Ah, good, :).

No more posts from me.

jvdbossc
1st December 2011, 22:02
It seems I am over the first 5 answers. I get the system. Are vip members allowed? Even for the fun of it?

PS: B 52 was very popular overhere and spoken to be on the mobo of the a500 and band members on the chipset.

---------- Post added at 22:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:57 ----------

And do not forget Andy Warhol he credited the Amiga painting but also had a band

arnljot
1st December 2011, 22:08
AFAIK VIPs doesnt have staff area access. So it seems ok to me. Merlin?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

rkauer
1st December 2011, 22:10
A lame band, but he had one, indeed.

Vips are allowed, as far as I know. Go for it!

-BTW: the extra bonus points may worth a try! A very nice surprise will result by this quiz!

Merlin
1st December 2011, 22:15
AFAIK VIPs doesnt have staff area access. So it seems ok to me. Merlin?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Correct; VIPs are allowed to enter. :thumbsup:

@ all

Some of the questions won't be as easy as today's one; we are breaking you in gently, before we drop some tougher ones into the mix.

fatbob_gb
1st December 2011, 23:20
@jvdbossc

Oops I edited my post so you are now it the first 5 :Doh: - maybe not - you edited yours too :blink:

J.T.Kirk
1st December 2011, 23:24
I was thinking that one who doesn't know the answer, he can easily 'cheat' by typing his answer taken from the first member who answered, and so he can easily win 4 points etc. The same applies to the third member in row and so on.

Maybe it was better to receive the answers via PMs to Arnljot probably?

amigaman2000
1st December 2011, 23:25
B52

Amiga 500

arnljot
2nd December 2011, 02:32
Next question is posted here (http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=22893)

The correct answer was defined by the staff as:

Answer:
The B52s, Amiga500 RockLobster, A600 JuneBug and A1200 ChannelZWe accepted for bonus, answers that either listed the machines, the songs or both.

The score, in order of posting, is:
easypreacher 5 points 0 bonus, total 5
chinners 4 points, 3 bonus, total 7
z3spacial 3 points, 1 bonus, total 4
justin 2 points
fatbob_gb - annulled for editing
jvdbossc 1 point, 1 bonus, total 2

jvdbossc made two consecutive posts, he didn't edit his. It's just the system which has concatenated the two posts.

So this is the leader board:
7p: chinners
5p: easypreacher
4p: z3spacial
2p: justin
2p: jvdbossc
0p: fatbob_gb

@Phantom
It's a possibility. We'll see after a few days if it's a problem. It will however flood my inbox :) Which I don't like. But thanks for the input. However, this first round showed that bonus points makes a difference ;)

And the first guy could be wrong...