PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new Amiga Lounge on-line store!

quarkx
19th May 2009, 19:27
Hello, everyone,
I am inviting everyone to stop by my new "online" store. the URL is store.amigalounge.com (http://store.amigalounge.com). Besides my blog at amigalounge.com, the store was set up to help everyone who needs "odds and ends". I am not competing with the big boys, rather than thinning out my own collection, in hopes someday to open a computer museum. The PC parts and cable were left over from when my computer store shut down. I take Paypal only at the moment. A new look is something we are working on at the moment.
Please note:
My store is in "beta" right now. I wanted a simple store with little or no active scripting (which I despise).
Prices INCLUDE Shipping in North America. On another forum, people could not wrap their heads around this and were constantly "complaining" on the prices. All other countries, please feel free to e-mail.
Any and all constructive suggestions are welcome.
The goal of this is to NOT make alot of profit or money, but the money made does go to support the community and get more(and or Better) Amiga stuff. I regularly support the other On-line Dealers like Red and AmigaKit.
The store is changing everyday.
The prices are all over the place.Some fantastic deals, Only the stuff I really do not wish to part with (unless the price is right) is priced High. Remember shipping from Canada is included in the price and to be frank, anything that can not be stuffed into an envelope will cost at least $5. Any "overshipping" charges will be refunded.
Prices are not set in stone: E-mail for negotiation.
All products (unless stated) are tested again before shipping and are guaranteed working when shipped; I know that sounds like a no brainer, but some people think I should warranty and test parts that I know are defective. (really!) These parts are sold as non-working parts and are clearly stated.
So please take a minute and swing on by, you never know, you may find something you really need!
:drinkin: :thanks:

Merlin
19th May 2009, 21:49
Hi quarkx, welcome to AmiBay!!

Just to clarify things for the benefit of our global members, can you please confirm that your currency prices stated above are in Canadian Dollars, not American Dollars, as I believe the exchange rate can be different?

Thanks

Merlin

quarkx
19th May 2009, 22:02
Hi quarkx, welcome to AmiBay!!

Just to clarify things for the benefit of our global members, can you please confirm that your currency prices stated above are in Canadian Dollars, not American Dollars, as I believe the exchange rate can be different?

Thanks

Merlin
Hi Merlin,
The prices are all in fact US prices. Trust me, It saves a LOT of confusion that way (and Paypal does all the conversions anyway) :whistle:

quarkx
21st May 2009, 15:27
I just want to bump this thread up and get opinions. I have only gotten about half a dozen hits from Amibay, so I am wondering what the issue is. Is it Not very many people are seeing this thread?. Nobody cares about a "new" on-line store? I am wondering if Amibay has no room for people like me and would prefer if I just listed everything by thread. I have a lot of books and Manuals, and some out there probably needs some of this stuff? :what:

Kin Hell
21st May 2009, 16:47
If I may be so bold & in a simple one sentence answer:

"Market is driven by parts actually wanted & the cost of said parts".

One could also say you have no A1200 stock, which is probably where most of the Market is atm. There are few Big Box Amiga fans thesedays & whilst I'm missing mine, it's not through them being used on a daily basis. Just too much money tied up in old gear & Debs asked me what the point was!? :|

Good luck with your venture though, I'm sure things will pick up for you when word gets around & they do say patience is a virtue! :wink:

All the Best!

Kin

Zetr0
21st May 2009, 16:53
@quarkx

patience.... you have been a trader on the bay for less than a handfull of days... relax... setup this area the way you would like to view your store... if you have special offers list them.... if you would like to make general announcements in the main general chat, just as a member of staff to help.

as my good friend charlie says.... with the right kit at the right price.... you will get more hits than you know what to do with LOL... so please take a moment to soak up the ambiance of the bay and get to know the people here.

quarkx
21st May 2009, 18:46
I was just curious on why nobody was even looking, that is all.
@kin
Over here in Canada, the A1200 is a rare beast, not many people had an A1200 unless they were "really into" Amiga. The A600 was even rarer- Only released in limited markets. Now A1000's, A500's, and even the A2000's are plentiful. (and like you eluded to, the people that have A1200's tend to keep them very close)
A lot of people who had A500's thought that was it for the Amiga.
Trust me I would love to have a lot of NTSC A1200 and parts, but they are just not here.
A500's on the other hand, I can pick up all day long, but the "add-ons" kill you in pricing. It would seem to be a conundrum, the most biggest,most selling Amiga (here), but the extra's are very scarce?
Even my "Guru" (who past last summer) had to "special order" his A1200 right from CBM, as by that time, not very many dealers were carrying anything "Amiga" anymore.
It is next to impossible to find a A500+ here also.
The A4000 is still being used by a lot of video and editing companies, so they don't come up to often.

imnogeek
21st May 2009, 19:03
Here's how I use Amibay and did so before I was a Mod.

I see sales posts pop up and am curious as to what is being sold, so I look and see if I want or am tempted.

I would normally only go to a trade site (yours or anywhere else) if I am actually looking for something. This is why I haven't visited your site yet - I am not looking for anything at the moment.

As with any trade site, shop etc you need to become established, then word of mouth will do the rest. Untill then you need to tempt people in ;)

On the good side, the more exposure you get on here or anywhere else, means the more chance you will be picked up by search engines :)

Only my view on things, but I suspect there are more like me.
Good luck with your venture.
Gary

davideo
21st May 2009, 19:13
Here's how I use Amibay and did so before I was a Mod.

I see sales posts pop up and am curious as to what is being sold, so I look and see if I want or am tempted.

I would normally only go to a trade site (yours or anywhere else) if I am actually looking for something.
Gary

Mine is a similair story - I tend to buy things from here on the spur of the moment (like the Ram card I've just done a deal on) and may even advertise with a want ad. It's very rare that I visit a trade site unless I've got something specific in mind and can't find it elsewhere.

Although saying all of the above - I have visited your site - so I must be one of the 6 that have hit your site :thumbsup2:

Dave G 8)

quarkx
21st May 2009, 19:44
Thanks you all,
I can't fix problems, if nobody looks at the site. That's all. I can fix anything, as long as people know it exists.
I just look at my site as a bit different, as it is mostly "one of" odds and ends. If I were to list it all here or the other 'bay, it would take forever, and be seen for only a few days, this way I can consistently update and change it.

Kin Hell
21st May 2009, 20:56
Hows this for a conundrum!?

Official Traders & AmiBay should be miles apart! - Bold statement to make considering I was a MegaMod until recently stepping down, but this fact really does need to be made quite clear. Official traders are not suppose to be buying snips on the forums & Expanding their shop fronts! :whistle: :wink:
I'm not sayng anyone Trader on AmiBay is doing this thouugh, so please think about what I just said, thanks! :wink:

@ quarkx

This kinda leans on you, though & in a manner which is not your fault. Canada is NTSC & perhaps the largest portion of the AmiBay Community are PAL based being more condensed in Europe. This makes his market rather limited somewhat because his source is always going to be NTSC over PAL. Jumping aside from this fact, there is still the peripheral coverage which can suck up either format! :D

I could only guess your side of the pond has the larger portion of Video Production Via Big Box Amigas than Europe has & this might be your best angle for your shop being that side of the pond. It's just a bit wierd that in this day & age, "format" still fuxors things in a way that should never have been there in the first place! :sigh:

With recent events, I too perhaps need to re-evaluate my services on AmiBay! Things change in life in more ways than one I guess & we need to try & adapt accordingly. Best wishes with what ever venture you end up enduring. Just be sure you make sure you are alright! :wink:

Kin

quarkx
21st May 2009, 22:00
<quote>
Hows this for a conundrum!?

Official Traders & AmiBay should be miles apart! - Bold statement to make considering I was a MegaMod until recently stepping down, but this fact really does need to be made quite clear. Official traders are not suppose to be buying snips on the forums & Expanding their shop fronts! :whistle: :wink:
I'm not sayng anyone Trader on AmiBay is doing this thouugh, so please think about what I just said, thanks! :wink:
</quote>
@kin
Yes, you are right, Now as a "trader" I can't browse the Recycle bin, Nor can I jump in and buy some of the great stuff I need from everyone here. People tend to forget that I am a user also and I am far from having even closely a complete or "ultimate" Collection. Not all the stuff I have makes it to my shop, nor do I buy stuff to pad my shop. My shop is an after thought to clear some space. My Blog (OTOH ) should clearly show this-For Example- After all spending a whole day (over 8 hours) on the long weekend tearing down and cleaning an A4000 keyboard by hand should say that I have some "passion" in this hobby. If I was just in it to sell, I wouldn't have bothered at all.

:offtopic:

Kin Hell
21st May 2009, 22:21
Ah m8y, you're not off topic really. It's a right can of worms all round for you & considering being a Trader myself (Not entirely covinced myself yet) I know where you are coming from.
The Re-Cycle Bin was something brought to us by one of AmiBay's Founders, "sarek2k". This guy introduced this to one of AmiBay's founding Sites, "OldSkoolUK" & was obviously included in the Development of AmiBay's services.

On the mainstream side of things though, it still remains a problem RE PAL & NTSC, but on the peripheral side of things, you should fly!

Best Wishes,

Kin

quarkx
21st May 2009, 22:36
Ah m8y, you're not off topic really. It's a right can of worms all round for you & considering being a Trader myself (Not entirely covinced myself yet) I know where you are coming from.
The Re-Cycle Bin was something brought to us by one of AmiBay's Founders, "sarek2k". This guy introduced this to one of AmiBay's founding Sites, "OldSkoolUK" & was obviously included in the Development of AmiBay's services.

On the mainstream side of things though, it still remains a problem RE PAL & NTSC, but on the peripheral side of things, you should fly!

Best Wishes,

Kin

I would have to agree for now, it MAY be a problem, But with the Indivision flicker fixers and "newer" cards coming down the pipe, I think the whole PAL/ NTSC thing will be a distant memory. I was extremely lucky to find a NTCS A600 last week, But If I would have got a PAL model, it would have made no difference, unless I wanted to hook it up to a TV set, as I would have just used one of my Commodore Monitors. I guess to us, here, We just get used to the fact that we might have to have A PAL unit, because that's all we can find.

Justin
25th May 2009, 09:41
hi,
i have had a look at your site m8y, and it's fine, i think that it's in Canada would put me off buying because of the shipping to the UK, if the miggy is as rare over there as i think, i would have thought that only Canadians and really rare item are going to see any movement.
Cheers, JuvUK

P.S MEGASXLR rox! :nod:

quarkx
26th May 2009, 07:40
hi,
i have had a look at your site m8y, and it's fine, i think that it's in Canada would put me off buying because of the shipping to the UK, if the miggy is as rare over there as i think, i would have thought that only Canadians and really rare item are going to see any movement.
Cheers, JuvUK

P.S MEGASXLR rox! :nod:
Thanks for the input, and I think you are right, but limited to both US and Canada, But the manuals and books should be ok for shipping. If I was rich and smart, I would buy up all the A600's from over in the UK and sell them here. They are ultra rare here. I just got mine in yesterday,took me forever to hunt down here.
I am surprised you know MEGAS.. I did not know it aired outside of North America.Too bad it only lasted like 2 or 3 seasons

SkydivinGirl
26th May 2009, 14:38
i would have thought that only Canadians and really rare item are going to see any movement
Should this go in the 2009 Quotes thread?
:what:

hehe :D

Heather

Merlin
26th May 2009, 20:03
Hi quarkx

I think I should pick up from where Kinnie left off and explain one or two things.

When AmiBay was set up back at the end of 2007, we kicked around the idea of free access for all to the site for a while, before we agreed that AmiBay was about the community and the members, not about profit. With that in mind, when the Recycle Bin idea was transferred over from OldSkoolUK, we chose to make it restricted access.

The main reason was that there are several people who apparently seem to make a respectable sideline out of trading in retro hardware and software, either though auction sites like eBay or eBid, or through sites like Gumtree, Craigslist, etc. To make the Recycle Bin available to all would potentially allow unscrupulous traders (present company excepted :wink:) to snap up all of these items just for the shipping cost, to be offered elsewhere at a profit; this is the complete anathema of what we are about.

All we are trying to do is protect the community which we serve from the exploitation that certain traders have created on other sites and and have tried to perpetuate in recent years. It was because of this exploitation of a 'captive market' that we chose to create AmiBay as an alternative to support the community, and also as a replacement for AmiBench, which closed in November 2007 after ten years.

We are not anti-trader, otherwise we would not have created this area of the site for bone fide traders to offer products and services to the members.

We do, however, spend a lot of time trying to protect the members of this site from price driving and the dubious practices that go on elsewhere.

I hope that this has clarified things for you.

quarkx
26th May 2009, 22:01
Hi quarkx

I think I should pick up from where Kinnie left off and explain one or two things.

When AmiBay was set up back at the end of 2007, we kicked around the idea of free access for all to the site for a while, before we agreed that AmiBay was about the community and the members, not about profit. With that in mind, when the Recycle Bin idea was transferred over from OldSkoolUK, we chose to make it restricted access.

The main reason was that there are several people who apparently seem to make a respectable sideline out of trading in retro hardware and software, either though auction sites like eBay or eBid, or through sites like Gumtree, Craigslist, etc. To make the Recycle Bin available to all would potentially allow unscrupulous traders (present company excepted :wink:) to snap up all of these items just for the shipping cost, to be offered elsewhere at a profit; this is the complete anathema of what we are about.

All we are trying to do is protect the community which we serve from the exploitation that certain traders have created on other sites and and have tried to perpetuate in recent years. It was because of this exploitation of a 'captive market' that we chose to create AmiBay as an alternative to support the community, and also as a replacement for AmiBench, which closed in November 2007 after ten years.

We are not anti-trader, otherwise we would not have created this area of the site for bone fide traders to offer products and services to the members.

We do, however, spend a lot of time trying to protect the members of this site from price driving and the dubious practices that go on elsewhere.

I hope that this has clarified things for you.

@merlin,
Thanks, I was never in any doubt, As anyone can see, my prices and products are not influenced by what "others" are selling them for. I just have a ton of extra stuff, and instead of spending a ton of money on the other other bay listing, and relististing and opening up a ton of threads here, I put them all up on a store thats is costing me next to nothing a month. If people are looking for specific stuff, I always invite the to e-mail or PM me. I am not looking to get rich with this, but the money is going back into the hobby and get the stuff that I want or need. The bulk of my store is books and manuals. I inherited tons when a programmer for Xerox past away last summer. I still have boxes to go through yet, and I know I will never get to his level, so they are offered there.

JiggyMF
23rd May 2010, 15:15
If you want my humble opinion:

1> i think a big part of amibay members are from the EU. Shipping to our parts is really very expensive form Australia.

2> Your prices, for EU standards, are (with some exceptions) insane. I do however know that in Australia/US some items are rare and expensive, which are really easy to get and cheap in Europe.

You offer A500's NTSC (we have PAL) for 100 dollars (with extra shipping to Europe). You offer an NTSC CD32 for 250 dollars (with extra shipping to Europe). You offer A1000's for 300 dollars (with extra shippinh to europe).

No sane european will pay these prices for those machines (I cant' tell you the prices we pay for stuff like that here since that could be seen as price diving, but it is ALOT less in most cases).

I think you should focus on the american market, since that is probably where your potential buyers will be, I am not sure how much americans are on amibay but i don't think it's the majority.

Your shop looks quite fine otherwise, it's not very professional, but I don't think that would make any difference. Reputation is worth more then the look of your site in the end. Once people get to know you and the site, they will more easily buy from you.

quarkx
23rd May 2010, 19:45
I Value all opinions, but I think you are missing the "Big" picture. First, (as I have stated earlier) I AM IN CANADA. Of course prices to ship to Europe are insane, but that is Canada Post's fault, not something I can Control. Second, the Europian market is a whole other market. There was a lot of Amiga and Commodore stuff that was dumped there by Commodore, that was never sold in North America and Vice versa. Because it is Canada, it will be a NTCS standard, otherwise it would be very hard for me to test PAL stuff.
My prices also INCLUDE SHIPPING to North America, not many online stores will do that. This save a whole lot of hassel when a customer buys a $5 joystick and then finds out after checkout that the shipping charges are $30 because of size and weight. Have you ever seen or priced out shipping for a Boxed A1000? The shipping charges alone for a box that size and weight are around $70-$80 USD, through Canada Post.The A4000 I sold 2 months back cost $75 for just the A4000 and another $45 for the box of Video toaster manuals that went with it. Believe me, I make no money when it comes to shipping.
An A500 costs me $45 to ship. period. Look at the Average price sometime, and you will see just how "Insane" my prices really are.
Now grant you the stuff I really don't want to sell, (but everything has a price) like the A1200 IS Insane, but hey if somebody wants a completely decked out A1200 without the hassle of hunting all of those upgrades, then it is a bargain in someone's Eyes.

Also, Amibay is world wide, Yes the majority are from Europe, but is sounds like you are saying "North Americans" are not welcome here and should get the heck out. There is no other Amiga forums that "north Americans" only use. Heck this is the best Amiga forum I have been on for friendliness.

As for the site, well, I admit it does look amateurish, but I refuse to use PHP and any "scripting" language for any of my sites. My site is easy to update and maintain and best of all, its free. There is no bullcrap Eyecandy, no logging into, no hassel for the customer or myself to maintain. My pages load fast on a slow or flaky connection and there is no waiting for all the scripts to come down. Even if I was doing the site as a full time job, I much prefer my "Amateur" site to any "professional" site out there that uses all that crap.
You would be surprised at all the script kiddies trying to crack my PHP pages on a daily basis. LOL- the server logs are a riot to look at. They spend HOURS trying to find and crack all my PHP pages, when infact, there are NONE.

So, yes, I do value all opinions, but it sounds like you are a bit peeved, because you are in the Netherlands (according to your profile) and you want PAL stuff for Very cheap and don't want to pay shipping charges. Sorry, I can't help you there. Check out AmigaKit. they are closer to you and have PAL stuff. Matt will take good care of you.-Where do you think I get a lot of my stuff? From AmigaKit. I never really had any problems that Matt could not take care of.

JiggyMF
23rd May 2010, 21:12
You completely misunderstood my comment.

My point is that i think that the majority here is European, making your store not very attractive for most users, which could be an answer to why you do not have many customers originating from amibay (because most things + shipping is simply alot cheaper in europe).

I am one of those people who don't really look what osmething costs, If i really want it and it is something i cant get elsewhere i buy it, so I could be a potential customer (but atm you don't have anything I want, which could change tomorrow), but I don't think the majority here acts this way and does look at pricing and shipping.

You should sell what you want, for the price you want, I am just telling you my impression after visiting your site, which is what you asked for. There is no need to defend yourself, these are no accusations of any kind, I am simply trying to give you some honest feedback.

And last but not least, every nationality is more then welcome here, the more the better i'd say! I have had numerous transactions with americans and canadians in the past and they have proven to be the most reliable sellers.

quarkx
23rd May 2010, 21:26
Actually, to be frank, at least 98% of ALL my sales have come from Amibay users or lurkers. Only a small handful have come from other sites, so I do not know where you are getting your info from.
Sure, common sense says I could have a hundred percent more sales if I was in Europe, but also look at the market, there are 100% more Amiga users in Europe also.

JiggyMF
23rd May 2010, 21:30
I have only gotten about half a dozen hits from Amibay, so I am wondering what the issue is. Is it Not very many people are seeing this thread?. Nobody cares about a "new" on-line store? I am wondering if Amibay has no room for people like me

erm...Let me check where i get my info from...O its you!

Maybe you should not ask people's opinions if this is your general way of reacting...I actually took the time typing my feedback for you on what i think is going on. Which will be the last time i do that...:roll:

Nevertheless, good luck, you do have some interesting items which are bound to get sold sooner or later :thumbsup:

Also suggest we stop this discussion since it's not getting you anywhere like this, i was just trying to help, no disrespect meant.

quarkx
23rd May 2010, 21:42
If you look at the date, that was a year ago, and things have certainly changed in a year. But you are right lets stop this thread, it looks like you are trolling for other people have brought up the same points in other threads over the last year.

JiggyMF
23rd May 2010, 21:43
I did... indeed not realise it was may.....2009...

It's 2010 now isn't it? :D

T_Hairy_Bootson
24th May 2010, 08:05
Any news on those CDTV scsi cards you mentioned a while back quarkx?

quarkx
24th May 2010, 20:17
Because of my work, I haven't seen the Amitrix guys for about 3 weeks, but E-mail Craig. I think he is still waiting for some scsi chips or something like that. Last I heard, he was close to done them

quarkx
8th October 2010, 20:58
Remember my prices INCLUDE shipping charges anywhere in North America.:D

Most people don't realize or miss the fact that my prices include shipping.
For example:
I have a boxed A1200 system for $xxx. Minus the $xx that Canada post will charge for shipping, and you will see I am charging only $xxx USD for a complete boxed A1200. Now if you convert that even to Euros which is about xx euros or xx GSP (prices removed do to possible price driving)

Also remember that things like the A600 are a dime a dozen in the UK, but in North America, it is a whole different story, in fact many Canadians have never even seen an A600 or an A500+. Also, the things like the A3000 tower, I can never replace, so the price is reflective of that fact also, but again you have to READ the descriptions, not just look at the photo and the price (which sadly SO many people do and then e-mail me for the exact information that is already stated in the descriptions)

But maybe you are just trolling

rkauer
9th October 2010, 04:49
Last four posts moderated, infraction points to user. Sorry for that, quarkx.

quarkx
9th October 2010, 06:19
Last four posts moderated, infraction points to user. Sorry for that, quarkx.
Thanks, and no problem. I have to deal with it all the time. As a trader I guess you become a target for that. It does get frustrating at time though.