PDA

View Full Version : Closed SOLD: Blizzard 1240/40 for sale

fraggle
27th March 2008, 20:05
I have a Blizzard 1240 40mHz card for sale.

This card was bought new many years ago, but has only had a few months use, as I got an '060 soon afterward, and I guess I'm never going to use it again.
There is no SCSI module with it (it's on the '060) but I will throw in a 32 meg simm.

Comes in it's original box with manual.

I'm looking for a good price, but as it's in virtually new condition, I think that 110 is fair.

If anyone's interested, then let me know. U.K. BUYERS ONLY PLEASE.

mfletcher
27th March 2008, 21:01
Sent you a PM m8. Im interested!

mfletcher
17th June 2008, 00:15
Hey dude,

Im just getting a black screen when I plug in the accelerator and start up the A1200... I tried booting up from a floppy but no dice. The fan does run on the card, so I know its getting power. Is there anything Im missing regarding this?

Sorry for the late reply... finally got round to visiting the UK and getting the card from my parents.

Mark

meega
17th June 2008, 00:27
68040.library or some such?

Zetr0
17th June 2008, 00:34
@mfletcher

try the card without memory, hold the two mouse buttons down when you turn on the Amiga.

do you get to the pre-boot menu?

if not then there is a problem, remove any other devices that you may have, like external drives / cdrom or pcmcia card, also remove any internal device such as any clockport addition you may have.

Personally i think what you have here is a power issue, well lack of, there are ways around this, start a thread on eab or other favy forum ;) :D

fraggle
17th June 2008, 03:24
Hi Mark,
glad you finally got home. As you can see from the time of this post, it's VERY late, and I'm not too clear headed, but the only thing that I can think of right now is that the 68040.library is missing for some reason, OR it's the wrong version. Is it possible that the version that you have installed is the "fake" one that's used by an '060 ? I seem to remember you saying that you've had a faster set-up before, and if the software for that is still installed, then that could be the problem.
I ran the card shortly before I posted it, so I think that we can assume that it's working, which (to me) means that it's a software issue. I've had black screens when using accelerators, but this has been due to a bad connection. As the fan is spinning, I think that the connection is OK.
Sorry if that's not much help, but as I said, I'm not at my most intelligent right now.
I'll get back to you when I've had some sleep.
Regards, Kev.

mfletcher
17th June 2008, 11:25
Hi everyone,

Got it working... sorry for all the hassle. Turns out when installing the card, you have to apply a lot of force to get it seated. I had got the card "connected" to the bus, but I had previously been too scared to force it further in (fnarr fnarr). Giving it a good push got it fixed. All is fine... although I did accidentally push the heatsink/fan off the cpu. Anyone know how I can reattach it? It looks like it was either some kind of arctic silver / glue compound.

Sorry for all the panic, and thanks again Fraggle!

Mark

Merlin
17th June 2008, 11:32
A dab of hot glue or epoxy glue (Araldite) should work fine.

meega
17th June 2008, 11:35
http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu/~d ... anana.html (http://dustbunny.physics.indiana.edu/~dzierba/Scidemo/Banana.html) :D

Zetr0
17th June 2008, 11:37
@mark

That is EXCELLENT news!!!

okay clean up the thermal putty/grease/compound with some silicon spray and then use

3M Thermal Grab Pads (search a certain auction site and you will find them)

:)

Merlin
17th June 2008, 12:50
@ Zetr0

Off-site linking to an E*ay auction? tsk tsk..........rules is rules, mate.......

*cough*

meega
17th June 2008, 13:05
Buy It Now price: GBP 0.99
*Cough*

Zetr0
17th June 2008, 14:59
LMAO!!!!

fraggle
17th June 2008, 15:44
Glad to hear that all's well, Mark. (Phew !)
Thermal pads should work fine, but if you're in a hurry, then a dab of thermal paste in the centre, and a suitable glue applied at each corner of the heat sink/fan should do the trick.
Please ignore my last reply, it's rubbish, but as I said, it was very late.

Zetr0
19th June 2008, 15:46
Heres a Luscious (Buy It Now) Linkie for 3m Adhesive Heatsink Pads (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180244987831&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:uk) :D

Now, i have not used this company, so you will have to let us know how you get on :) best of luck

mfletcher
19th June 2008, 18:50
Heres a Luscious (Buy It Now) Linkie for 3m Adhesive Heatsink Pads (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180244987831&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:uk) :D

Now, i have not used this company, so you will have to let us know how you get on :) best of luck

Thanks again Zetr0! Will do, I have just purchased this off Fleabay, so it should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Mark