PDA

View Full Version : Strange problems using 3 way AC adapters with my PC!

Powerpie5000
18th January 2012, 10:15
I've been using a surge protected 3 way AC cube adapter for my PC (with individual on/off switches) and for some strange reason the on/off switch starts to stick in the 'on' position with whatever socket i plug the PC in to!

The 3 things plugged into the adapter are my PC, wireless router and monitor which i assume is fine as the adapter is rated at 13A which should handle loads of over 2000W (My PC probably draws no more than 500W under load)... The switch on the adapter usually sticks after i've been using the PC and it will buzz if i try to force it to the 'off' position, i've gone through 2 different adapters with the same result!

Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21bq9CO%2BoSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/images/ma/masterplug-3-socket-surge-protected-switched-adaptor.jpg

roy_bates
18th January 2012, 15:42
what does it say the individuel switches are rated at?

if you say the plug is rated at 13 amps,then that would just be the plug that goes into the wall.it may not mean the switches on the unit are rated at 13 amps and i suspect there probably 3-4 amps max

Ed.D
18th January 2012, 16:24
As an ex-electrician my advice to you, without wanting to seem rude would be to throw these things in the bin and get a 3 or 4 way trailing socket. They are a potential fire hazard, known for over heating due to poor quality components.

I suspect either the contacts on the switch blades inside the unit are breaking down or you may have a loose live or neutral wire inside one or more of the plugs which you plug into the adaptor.

Take care,
Ed.

Powerpie5000
20th January 2012, 19:56
what does it say the individuel switches are rated at?

if you say the plug is rated at 13 amps,then that would just be the plug that goes into the wall.it may not mean the switches on the unit are rated at 13 amps and i suspect there probably 3-4 amps max

None of my adapters say anything about individual switch ratings, they say the total load is not to exceed 13A and each one is fited with a single 13A fuse.

As an ex-electrician my advice to you, without wanting to seem rude would be to throw these things in the bin and get a 3 or 4 way trailing socket. They are a potential fire hazard, known for over heating due to poor quality components.

I suspect either the contacts on the switch blades inside the unit are breaking down or you may have a loose live or neutral wire inside one or more of the plugs which you plug into the adaptor.

Take care,
Ed.

I'm now using a trailing 4-way extension without individual switches and it switches off fine at the wall so far.... I think maybe the switches were a bit crap on the adapters as the contacts looked as though they tried to fuse/meld together and were a bit discoloured.

TheCorfiot
20th January 2012, 20:04

Take care,
Ed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1

First thing I do when I visit a clients office is bin any of these that I find.
They should be outlawed.

TC ;)

cosmicfrog
20th January 2012, 21:01
yep we live in the uk and strangely enough have a great Electic network

an UPS is much better to have

Merlin
20th January 2012, 21:42
yep we live in the uk and strangely enough have a great Electic network

an UPS is much better to have

Strangely enough, I have one of those, but it doesn't work when I plug it in.....

http://earthandindustry.com/files/2010/01/ups_hydralic_1.jpg

:lol:

Dazxy2001
21st January 2012, 13:58

Take care,
Ed.

I do home safety assessment for the elderly and disabled and come across them all the time, the worst offending item people plug into these things is a nice and heavy transformer usually for their new fangled wireless internet or freeview box not realising over time the adapter is slowly but surely creeping out the socket, horrid things but still easily obtainable :/

Ed.D
21st January 2012, 14:10
[QUOTE=Dazxy2001;259986
I do home safety assessment for the elderly and disabled and come across them all the time, the worst offending item people plug into these things is a nice and heavy transformer usually for their new fangled wireless internet or freeview box not realising over time the adapter is slowly but surely creeping out the socket, horrid things but still easily obtainable :/[/QUOTE]

Absolutely, I couldn't believe the recent TV ads / public information things about making sure we switch off everything in one go by plugging all your computer equipment into one of these things.