PDA

View Full Version : Best value for money Dual core CPU at the moment?

Harrison
2nd June 2009, 13:47
I'm thinking of building a new download/test server and wonder what you all think the best value for money Intel Core 2 Duo processor is?

I think I'm going to go with an Intel chip over an AMD because their current chips tend to run cooler, so can be run with much quieter, or even silent cooling. W

Also, are there any good completely passive coolers for Core 2 Duos? No water cooled though as I think that is too extreme unless you are looking to push a system to its limits.

Justin
2nd June 2009, 14:10
E8700 great chip and very easy/stable to run at over 4ghz

Kin Hell
2nd June 2009, 14:51
@ Harrison

Depends on how much you're looking to spend m8y!

Kin

Harrison
2nd June 2009, 15:00
Value for money = best speed to price ratio in your view at the moment.

So I'm not sure how much I'm willing to spend at the moment. Less is obviously better if there is a good cheap chip with good performance at the moment.

As this isn't a main system for gaming though it doesn't need to be overclocked or have a really high clock speed. However I have noticed some of the recent Intel chips that look like a good bargain are not when you see how small the cache is on them.

Kin Hell
2nd June 2009, 15:03
Google will tell you what you need to know Harrison. But only you know if your budget will fit what Google tells you! :lol:

Kin

Harrison
2nd June 2009, 18:35
Not much help mate.

I need to know which dual core CPUs are worth getting and which I should avoid at any price. Than at least I can compare the worthwhile ones.

Kin Hell
2nd June 2009, 18:40
& how much are you spending! :Doh:

PMSL!! :woot:

Kin

Justin
2nd June 2009, 19:11
i thought i'd already answered this :P

Kin Hell
2nd June 2009, 19:22
i thought i'd already answered this :P

No, ....you haven't! :laugh:

Kin

Justin
2nd June 2009, 19:33
@Kin

lol so it would seem :thumbsup:

Harrison
3rd June 2009, 12:00
E8700 great chip and very easy/stable to run at over 4ghz

How much are these at the moment? I'd image this was over 200 based on other chips in that range. I can't see this one for sale on the couple of sites I normally use.

Price wise I was looking for the cheapest processor I could get that was good value for money in terms of processing power and cache size. Maybe around 100. I'm not looking at overclocking or performance for gaming as it won't be used for gaming at all. It will be used to stream video and audio around the house, p2p, and an apache test server with mysql running for web development.

I was initially looking at low powered solutions like the Atom range, but they are just not fast enough to run more than a couple of things together at once.

What about something like an E7400? Or for slightly more the E8200, which has a slower clock, but higher FSB and more cache.

Or could I get more for my money if I did switch to AMD and buy a cheap AM2 based CPU? You can buy a 4800+ for 40 for example. Or even an X2 7850 BE for 56.

Justin
3rd June 2009, 14:01
i paid 130 for mine, hang on let me see what i can find!.............

Kin Hell
3rd June 2009, 14:08
Oh the pain! :laugh:

E8700 isn't yet available retail in the UK, much so anywhere in the world yet. The Core2 DUO E8700 clocked @ 3.5Ghz is based on .45nm Die Size, uses a mere 65W (Energy Efficient) on 1333 Core fsb (Quad-Pumped - Actual fsb = 333Mhz)
Problem is, & as Google says, ...they are not yet available.
JuvUK is right though, thats an easy 4Ghz Overclock from that CPU having such a low Thermal Head.
Fastest available Core2 DUO atm is the Wolfdale 3.33Ghz package.

The reason I asked what you wanted to spend, means I dont have to spend wasted time doing research you could be doing yourself via Google & for a pile of options that could be out of your pocket to boot.

So how much do you want to spend Harrison & what are you expecting for your money? - Just a CPU & Cooler?? - What about Mobo & Ram, etc?? - You Mention Server???

Kin

Harrison
3rd June 2009, 14:55
As mentioned above, a max of around 100, but less is better. And that is just for the CPU. I have a case, drives etc and will buy a motherboard and ram separately from this price.

Justin
3rd June 2009, 14:55
:oops:
boy is my face red or what, sorry guys my cpu is a E8500
Technical Details

Main Specifications

Product Description: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 / 3.16 GHz processor

Product Type: Processor

Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

Multi-Core Technology: Dual-Core

64-bit Computing: Yes

Compatible Processor Socket: LGA775 Socket

Processor Qty: 1

Clock Speed: 3.16 GHz

Bus Speed: 1333 MHz

Manufacturing Process: 45 nm

Cache Memory: L2 6 MB

Features: Enhanced SpeedStep technology, Execute Disable Bit capability, Intel Virtualization Technology, Intel 64 Technology, Intel Trusted Execution Technology, Enhanced Halt State (C1E), Intel Thermal Monitor 2

Compatible Slots: 1 x processor - LGA775 Socket

Extended Specifications

General

Product Type: Processor

Expansion / Connectivity

Compatible Slots: 1 x processor - LGA775 Socket

Processor

Type / Form Factor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

Processor Qty: 1

Clock Speed: 3.16 GHz

Architecture Features: Enhanced SpeedStep technology, Execute Disable Bit capability, Intel Virtualization Technology, Intel 64 Technology, Intel Trusted Execution Technology, Enhanced Halt State (C1E), Intel Thermal Monitor 2

Bus Speed: 1333 MHz

Miscellaneous

Package Type: Intel Boxed

Cache Memory

Installed Size: L2 Cache - 6 MB

Intel has recently put a serious crimp into overclocking by raising the FSB for its processors.

Given that even the best enthusiast boards have problems running at FSB's much greater than 450MHz (with perfect stability) raising the FSB means that enthusiasts buying a lower multiplier processor will no longer be able to overclock quite as highly as before - for example, a future E8200 with an 8x multiplier would be limited to 3.4GHz maximum on a board that was only usable up to 450MHz (1800MHz data rate).

The Core 2 Duo E8500 uses a 1333MHz (333MHz quad pumped) FSB with a 9.5x multiplier. Due to this choice, the E8500 is largely limited to newer boards that officially support a 1333MHz FSB - and the voltages required by the Penryn based core - and while some older boards with updated BIOSes may be able to run with the chip, realistically, you will probably want at least a 965P based chipset for this processor.

The 1333MHz FSB also means that overclocking is going to be limited by the highest stable FSB of the board - and most "enthusiast" boards don't really want to go beyond 450MHz.

The E8500 still performed like a champ on the X38 based board I tested it on; and I was able to reach a stable overclock of 4.275GHz while only air cooled.

I was able to get to the Windows desktop at 4.52GHz - however it was not stable, and I did not wish to crank Vcore high enough to stabilize it. The Intel data sheet shows 1.46V to be the maximum safe Vcore for the E8500, so I did not want to exceed that by much. 1.468V was enough to get the system stable for all our benchmarks at 4.275GHz.

In order to reach 4.275GHz, I had to do the following:

* used a Noctua NH-U 12 heatsink with two 12cm fans
* set Vcore to 1.468V
* set Vfsb to 1.45V
* set FSB to 450MHz
* set memory to 1800MHz
* set memory timing to 8-8-8--24, 2T
* set memory voltage to 1.9V (officially supported for these OCZ modules)

This chip is a great overclocker.

Power Consumption

When idle at 3.16GHz, the E8500 uses about four watts less than the E6750 at 2.66GHz, and when fully loaded, there is still about a four watt difference in favor of the E8500. Not bad given the 500MHz increase in speed!

again sorry for the confusion

JuvUK

Kin Hell
3rd June 2009, 15:32
As mentioned above, a max of around 100, but less is better. And that is just for the CPU. I have a case, drives etc and will buy a motherboard and ram separately from this price.

@ H

For 100, you're not even in the server league in any vernacular. Cache size is important as to how quickly a Server works & dropping to a 2Mb cache is wasting your money imho. On top of this, your CPU speed will be on an 800fsb & you'd be as well having a Pentium IV on socket 478.
1066fsb or 1333fsb will give your server a significant speed & performance increase & a 6Mb L2 Cache is much much slicker than a 3Mb Cache.
Based on current Retail price structuring, you'd need to be spending in the region of 132 to get into this 6Mb zone.

For a good Cost effective Made in China Cooler, the Titan is a good mid range solution.

@ JuvUK

LOL Juzzer. Hope ur car parts don't suffer the same! :jester:

Kin

Harrison
3rd June 2009, 18:11
@JuvUK Thanks for the info and update. It looks like a great chip to build a reasonable gaming rig around. However I don't really need something quite that powerful. I already have my main Q6600 based system. However if I do see one at a good price I will be tempted. I was really just trying to ask what Core 2 Duo processors in cheaper end of the whole Intel range are worth buying, and which should be avoided. I assume from looking at some specs that the whole E4xxx range should be avoided?

@Kin. A test server is a long way from being a full server level system. It doesn't need to serve to the internet. Just as a testbed for site development and experimentation on a local network. Plus used as a file server and as an extra use streaming video and audio to other systems around the house.

So what CPU would you recommend around the 130 price range you mentioned?

At the moment I'm using one of my older machines as my local test server, and that has quite an old spec of Athlon XP 3000+ with 1GB ram, and it does cope with the task and is very stable and just keeps working away in the corner. But it is quite noisy, especially when the weather is hot and I have to turn the Jet 7 cooler up to keep the CPU temps below 50 degrees!

Justin
3rd June 2009, 19:12
no worries Harrison, but as i said this chip was only 130, i had an E6700 (i think :wink: ) now that was a good chip, started to suffer in a few of the newer games (Grid, Crysis) but other than that never gave me a days trouble

Kin Hell
3rd June 2009, 21:29
It'd have to be the E8400 at that money & Xeon's in Parallel as a Server will smoke most Duo's.....Especially when running Server 2003! :wink:

However, as a file server on a local Lan, the E8400 will serve you well. Especially if you RAID 0 on it, through a decent Chipset will be the main factor! - As a matter of interest, which board are you planning to use??

Your answer would depend on me saying save the cash & go for a small cache CPU! - Crap chipsets would be a waste of time on the E8400, & the Brand of board also makes a difference; - Trust me! :wink:

Your best interests @ heart,

Charlie

Justin
3rd June 2009, 21:40
xfx 650 8)

Kin Hell
3rd June 2009, 22:55
XFX 780i 8) 8) :mrgreen:

Kin

/....Promise to do a Pictoral thing under Water soon....

Justin
3rd June 2009, 23:50
XFX 780i 8) 8) :mrgreen:

Kin

/....Promise to do a Pictoral thing under Water soon....

i agree, but we're on a budget :wink: :mrgreen:

Kin Hell
4th June 2009, 07:29
I know Juv & tbah, nVidia Chipsets are rather hot. Intel based would be better. :wink:

Kin

Harrison
4th June 2009, 15:41
The E7400 at 97 does look like a good CPU for what I need. Cheers for that recommendation.

I've not even looked for possible motherboards yet. However to keep costs down it would be using DDR2 ram, and possibly on-board graphics as that is all I would need. What about something like an Asus P5KPL-AM?

Kin Hell
4th June 2009, 16:10
Er....who said E7400? :ROTFLOL2:

I see you are opting for a very budget board too!

Kin

Harrison
9th June 2009, 13:03
Oops. I meant E8400. Price was for the right CPU though.

It only really needs to be a budget motherboard as there won't be any overclocking or tinkering with the system. Just build it, install the OS and let it run. And onboard GPU, which I normally avoid, is fine as it isn't being used for more than the desktop.

Basically looking to build the whole system for under 200, which I think is easily possible.

Kin Hell
9th June 2009, 13:17
E8400 with that board you mentioned should be just the ticket then! :wink:

Kin

Harrison
9th June 2009, 13:58
Hopefully I will have the time to get the parts and build it next week. Looking forward to this. I love building new PCs from scratch. Always gives a nice feeling when they are complete and up and running.

Now just to work out what to do with all the spare Athlon XP motherboards I'm now going to have over.

Kin Hell
9th June 2009, 16:28
<snip>
Now just to work out what to do with all the spare Athlon XP motherboards I'm now going to have over.

Anyone else's "Skip" springs to mind! :twisted:

My Love for AMD is as Great as rkauers is for TOS!! :thumbsup:

Then again, someone might find a use for them in the Re-Cycle Bin, or else take them all urself, cut them into smaller sections & use them as Door Stops! :nod:

LOLz Harrison & all the Best,

Kin

Harrison
9th June 2009, 17:07
Did you see the paperweights that a company are making out of old circuit boards? And another is making earrings and other jewellery too. Great ideas for recycling old computer hardware.

Disliking for AMD by any chance Kin? :lol: ;)

Kin Hell
9th June 2009, 17:31
I really wouldn't know what you were on about Harrison! :whistle: :lol:

Kin