PDA

View Full Version : ARRRGGHH!! USB Memory Stick Fail...

Merlin
19th January 2012, 15:11
:overactor::explode

A 4Gb USB memory stick that I use for temporary work files has just failed on me, apparently. The plastic cover fell apart as I removed it from my pocket, revealing the bare board and connector.

I have just tried it in a USB port after wrapping it in tape, so that I didn't touch any electronics and it's not being recognised in my computer. :wooha:

MY other USB stick works fine and I didn't notice any electronic components fall out of the broken case, nor can I see any missing from the board.

I have about 2Gb of work files on this POS :censored: stick and it worked perfectly yesterday.

Any ideas, as I would like to recover the files on it?

Chinners
19th January 2012, 15:15
:overactor::explode

Any ideas, as I would like to recover the files on it?

Usually, I find the case snaps when there is pressure applied on the metal connector - i.e. it gets put out of shape. It may be worthwhile checking that the connector is, um connected to the board, and there are no splits in the tracks.

Gouldin
19th January 2012, 15:18
usually pushing on it at different angles will yied some good results, once you find the sweet spot that works, hold it there and copy away, then throw it away

Chinners
19th January 2012, 15:27
Maybe slice & strip a working USB extention lead, and solder the wires to the pendrive - that should at least rule out the connection

cosmicfrog
19th January 2012, 16:40
Good luck, Really hope you find away to get the stuff back but personaly I don`t hold out much hope but I be happy to be proved wrong

thecellartroll
19th January 2012, 16:46
One of the little buggers went belly up on me a couple of months ago. It took some important work and my timesheet with it! After some degree of panic I discovered that Open Office slyly backs stuff up without asking. :coffee:

TheCorfiot
19th January 2012, 16:46
Run the ole black and decker paint stripper over it for 20 seconds or so, or shove it in the oven.

TC ;)

cosmicfrog
19th January 2012, 18:41
If that don`t Work I got a special Hammer :p

Merlin
19th January 2012, 19:00
After being slathered in Fluxite before a brief interview with Messrs. Black & Decker, the answer is... it's knackered :(

Boswelox!!

I guess I've got some more homework this weekend then.....:dry:

HonestFlames
19th January 2012, 19:14
I can show you my bare, repaired SanDisk 16GB USB memory stick, if you like!

Repaired because I stood on it whilst it was plugged into the front of a PC at work and I snapped the connector.

It took 1 very small length of kynar wire to reroute a knackered track and it now does superb service permanently connected to the front of my Xbox.

Merlin
19th January 2012, 19:29
I can't see any circuit board damage at all on this stick, even looking at it through a 5x magnification jeweller's loupe. :blink:

ptp170
19th January 2012, 20:55
Possibility that the tape residue is causing some conductivity issues??

Have any of the legs on the IC been accidentally bent and are now touching?

Does the device get recongnised when inserted into a PC?

Chris

Merlin
19th January 2012, 21:16
@ ptp170

I can't see any tape residue, but I will have at it with some Acetone at work tomorrow, to be sure.

Nope; all legs on the board appear perfectly AOK.

Nope; no sign of life at all. A dead thing, with dead things sprinkled on top stands more chance of being recognised by a PC's USB socket than this stick right now.

I'm tempted to get another similar USB stick and swap the 48-pin TSOP over, to see if I can read it.

Merlin
20th January 2012, 17:16
Well, after getting hold of a couple of Kingston Traveller 4Gb USB sticks and swapping the flash chip over from the one that isn't recognised, I get a drive that is recognised by the PC but no drive information.

Swapping the chips back, the Kingston drive is restored to full function.

It seems that the flash chip on the suspect stick has died... that's over two months' work down the drain. :Doh:

:(

cosmicfrog
20th January 2012, 17:32
That is indeed sad but
10 out of 10 for effort on trying get the info back :thumbsup:

I have a 1G usb that the casein got crushed on, luckily all it lost was the LED it works fine wrapped in insulating tape and sorta fits in with my trashy computer look I have

oh and your hammer seems to do more than mine :)

protek
20th January 2012, 17:41
@Merlin
Have you tried a program that salvages stuff from f**ked up memory cards? Of course that would mean that you'd have swap the chips over once more to get it connected.

Merlin
20th January 2012, 18:14
@ protek

Yep, Kroll Ontrack Easy Recovery Professional sees a drive letter, but the drive was 0 bytes.

Transferring the NAND Flash chip to a working stick was my last resort.

HonestFlames
20th January 2012, 18:27
Valiant effort!

Of course, I dare to say it...

Begins with "B" and ends with "ackups"!! ;)

Merlin
20th January 2012, 20:43
Valiant effort!

Of course, I dare to say it...

Begins with "B" and ends with "ackups"!! ;)

Careful; it could also start with "B" and end in "anned"....:lol:

2E1 BZU
20th January 2012, 21:00
Hi Merlin

Thinking back, a while ago I had a simlar thing with a hard disk, it kind of died on me. Just like you, it had 0 bytes. I had nothing to lose, so I did a quick format. Then I ran a data recovery program (cant remember what it was) and I was able to get some of the data back. This was mainly because I did not mess too much with it either, like trying to write to the disk and stuff.

Good luck .

Merlin
20th January 2012, 21:07
Hi Merlin

Thinking back, a while ago I had a simlar thing with a hard disk, it kind of died on me. Just like you, it had 0 bytes. I hade nothing to lose, so I did a quick format. Then I ran a data recovery program (cant remember what it was) and I was able to get some of the data back. This was mainly because I did not mess too much with it either, like trying to write to the disk and stuff.

Good luck .

Thanks; I might try putting the chip back and doing a format tomorrow. As you say, I have nothing to lose.

Merlin
21st January 2012, 14:11
Well, after half a day of testing, transferring chips into several spare memory sticks, whilst burning my fingers and giving myself a massive stress headache, the verdict is....

It's dead, it has ceased to be. It has shuffled off it's mortal coil and gone to meet it's maker. It has rolled up it's toes and snuffed it. It's an ex-memory stick. :( *Plays the Last Post*

I have lots of homework to do over the next two weeks or so, to re-write all of the work I have lost... I need caffeine, Pro Plus and 64 hours in a day now....:huh: