PDA

View Full Version : Amstrad CPC 664 not booting

moijk
20th January 2012, 10:49
Well, I've owned this machine for months. never booted it before. I never had space to put it up, so never got around to try it. Got a tape deck for it and everything was ready - but when I tried to boot no light turned on. can't seem to get the multimeter positioned to test the output from the ct65 but the 5v at least give 5v so i bet the 12v does deliver what it should too.

I'll be opening it up to see if there is any visible damage, like leaking caps. Anyone know if the CPC series had typical flaws? And anyone who could take a mainboard and look at it if there is nothing obvous for anyone whithout knowledge?

TheCorfiot
20th January 2012, 10:53
12 volts only used for the floppy drive so dont worry about it too much.

What display are you using?
Try reseating the Z80a
Test the on off switch for continuity, or just fit a link on the main board after removing its cable, I have had switches fail on the 664.

You can send me the mainboard for repair if you like.

TC ;)

Chinners
20th January 2012, 10:54
Well, I've owned this machine for months. never booted it before. I never had space to put it up, so never got around to try it. Got a tape deck for it and everything was ready - but when I tried to boot no light turned on. can't seem to get the multimeter positioned to test the output from the ct65 but the 5v at least give 5v so i bet the 12v does deliver what it should too.

I'll be opening it up to see if there is any visible damage, like leaking caps. Anyone know if the CPC series had typical flaws? And anyone who could take a mainboard and look at it if there is nothing obvous for anyone whithout knowledge?

The 12v is only for the disc drive, so that will not affect boot-up.
The most common issue I found with the CPCs is the flakey connector on the mainboard. Often these come away from the mainboard. It is usually just a solder job.

Plugging the 12v in to the 664 should cause the floppy drive led to glow slightly.

Also, have you checked the switch on the back? The keyboard units have their own power switch. If you're not even getting the LED, this'll possibly be the cause.

moijk
20th January 2012, 11:14
It was at least dusty as heck inside. only visible I can see is corrosion on one of the ports. beside that it is just ton of dust. I'll clean the motherboard up.

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

The 12v is only for the disc drive, so that will not affect boot-up.
The most common issue I found with the CPCs is the flakey connector on the mainboard. Often these come away from the mainboard. It is usually just a solder job.

I'll take it out and take some closeups for people to judge. it looks ok to me though.

Plugging the 12v in to the 664 should cause the floppy drive led to glow slightly.

Also, have you checked the switch on the back? The keyboard units have their own power switch. If you're not even getting the LED, this'll possibly be the cause.

I was trying that much before asking, I looked at every possible button and adjusted the settings I could see. but no light nor image. the bw monitor gave a blink when turning off but beside that all I could see was a green tint when the tube warmed up. the 664 is not a very common model so I'd like to get it back to life. not that mine is anything close to mint, but still.

Chinners
20th January 2012, 11:57
I know on the 464, you could remove virtually all the chips and the LED would still come on when powered, so it most certainly is a powering issue.

It is a rare but beautiful computer the 664.

The only real fragile part is the keyboard membrane, which does tend to suffer from old age. You may notice blocks of keys not working properly. If you do get this, don't use the stuff for repairing heated car windows, use Wireglue (http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_wire-glue.htm). Amazing stuff for this sort of job. PM me if you need more info on this :thumbsup:

moijk
20th January 2012, 12:00
I know on the 464, you could remove virtually all the chips and the LED would still come on when powered, so it most certainly is a powering issue.

I'll clean the machine up and see if that helps. from removing the dust to cleaning every contact to ensure conductivity.