Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbear

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Country
Andover, UK
Evening all!

I'm looking to purchase an Accelerator/Memory upgrade for my newly acquired A1200 that'll fit into the trapdoor. I'm mainly looking to run anything and everything using WHDLoad but also perhaps OS 3.9 (assuming that will run WHDload ;) )

Don't really want to stretch beyond £50ish at the moment - especially as I'm a n00b. I'm not looking for some uber-PC replacement, just something that'll run any games I chuck at it.

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Re: WTB: A1200 Accelerator/Memory Upgrade for Trapdoor

@Jason

Just to give you the headsup - 3.9 will run WHDLoad and any RAM expansion will be good to go.

If you need the PCMIA port to work you'll need to get a RAM board with a processor on it or stick to a 4MB card.

Dave G 8)

@HillyB

hello my friend,

from what you describe you would probably be happy with any of the following ;-

(i am not saying these items are worth your budget, this you will have to discover on your own as its site policy not to price guide or price drive. although being said, if I felt wanted a cheaper version of a blizzard 030 Mk4, then I would look at some of the following)

Lesser sought afgter 020 upgrades
  • Apollo 1220 Turbo
    020@28Mhz (onboard is 14mhz) upto 4MB ram can be installed[/*:m:3m6uc99v]
  • Blizzard 1220 / 4
    020@28mhz with 4mb of ram populated on the card, an addition 4mb card can be added to it, with 8mb its not PCMCIA compatible[/*:m:3m6uc99v]
  • TRA1200
    again, another 28mhz clocked 020 with a standard simm port for upto 8mb, again with 8mb this card is not PCMCIA friendly[/*:m:3m6uc99v]

Lesser sought after 030 cards
  • Turbo Jet 1230 & Turbo Jet 1230xi
    a basic 030@28mhz (sync'd to the motherboard clock), only upto 8MB of ram can be added, not PCMCIA friendly (Turbo Jet 1230ix only upto 4MB of ram via simm port, and upto 4mb of ram soldered to the card)[/*:m:3m6uc99v]
  • M-Tec 1230
    an 030@ 28mhz sync'ed to the motherboard clock speed, upto 8mb ram, unlikely to be PCMCIA friendly[/*:m:3m6uc99v]
  • T1230 (Viper) & T1230 LC (Viper IV)
    an EC 030 (no mmu) @28/44mhz with upto 8MB if ram available. again not PCMCIA friendly[/*:m:3m6uc99v]
  • A1230 Turbo+ (Jaws) & A1230 Turbo+ II (Jaws II)
    GVP 030, upto 32MB of ram, however only uses 64pin GVP simms, quite expensive and rare, thus this card is less sought after[/*:m:3m6uc99v]
  • Apollo 1230 Turbo LC
    This is a simple 030 with a maximum of 8MB of ram, alas it conflicts with the PCMCIA port when the full 8mb is in use[/*:m:3m6uc99v]
  • Cobra
    an 030 upto 128mb alas needs a firmware flash before you can use the ram on an Kickstart 3.1 amiga.[/*:m:3m6uc99v]
  • DKB 1240 (Mongoose)
    an 030 upto 128mb and as above requires a firmware flash before you can use any memory under Kickstart 3.1[/*:m:3m6uc99v]

have a look arround though, and best of luck, if i had a spare ram upgrade i would of traded with you my friend, alas, all mine are bespoken :(

Thanks for the tips Davideo & Zetr0 :)

OK, before I go mad and purchase something that's probably over priced and under-spec'ed on that 'other' website - I'll increase my budget to **£75 delivered**... anyone have something sweet for sale?

Cheers!

Hi Hillbear,

i have a Blizzard 1220 (4 MB) Sysinfo says, that the card runs on 31,60 Mhz :D

i can post some pics later. should be ok?

Regards

@Laudrup: Thanks matey but I've *hopefully* got a Mtec 68030 with 8MB on the way from a chap in the Netherlands so don't go out of your way. I was planning on getting this thread closed once it's safely in my hands...

@Laundrup: thread hijacked! Can you quote that board to me? Mine Blizzard 1260 died an horrible death on me, and so mine Apollo1240 is currently non-operational... :sigh:

I'm all sorted now so this thread can be closed once the hijackers have killed all the hostages...

Cheers!

:jester:

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom