PDA

View Full Version : Neo Geo CD ISO's and PSU...

fitzsteve
29th January 2012, 11:54
Hi Guys!

Anyone know if there is a UK PSU I can get for a Jap Neo Geo CD?

I'm buying a Neo from here and wondered if I can get away without having to use a step down conveter (since I don't have one) however IIRC Zetr0 had one so I guess I could try to Ninja that off him :ninja:

Also wondered if they play ISO's?

Thanks in advace!

Steve.

fitzsteve
29th January 2012, 15:56
Okies, I found a few PSU's on eBay that are multi voltage (100-240v) so let's hope mine is too, but at least I know where I can get one now :)

Moggsie
29th January 2012, 16:40
Steve,

AFAIK Neo Geo CD will play CD-Rs with no modification needed. Bit like the Mega CD.
You just gotta find the ISO's on the net.

fitzsteve
29th January 2012, 16:41
Steve,

AFAIK Neo Geo CD will play CD-Rs with no modification needed. Bit like the Mega CD.
You just gotta find the ISO's on the net.

Thats pretty cool, I'll grab some and burn a couple once I get my neo :D

Cheers :thumbsup:

Moggsie
29th January 2012, 16:47
Let me know how it goes as I'm thinking of getting one myself.

If the price is right of course!

fitzsteve
29th January 2012, 16:59
Let me know how it goes as I'm thinking of getting one myself.

If the price is right of course!

Will do :thumbsup:

Phipscube
29th January 2012, 21:20
I'd like a Neo CD at some point (tray version if I can get one in good whack). They do indeed work fine with CD-Rs.

As for the PSU, doesn't the console run on 5V (2A) and 10V (1A) input? so as long as you have a 240V PSU that outputs these 2 voltages you are ok. No need to worry about 110V. there is an official one here: -

http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/neogeo/ng.htm

fitzsteve
29th January 2012, 23:00
Hey Les, Thanks mate... Seller says PSU is built into this Neo Geo, so looks like I will need the step down, no biggy as Zetr0 said he had one before that I could Ninja.

And it's about time I went up there for Curry night :coffee:

BrooksterMax
30th January 2012, 08:59
I'd love to see this fitzy in the flesh, I had my eye on this sale - I asked for pics but sadly ran out of cash that month :)

From my research into it, ISOs are good to go - just confirming what was mentinoed earlier. Like the 3DO, CD32, MegaCD and everything of that time they probably didn't think it was possible to copy CDs easily in the mid 90s and saved money on ignoring the problem!

Great for us retro gamers that copy protection is non-existent!

fitzsteve
30th January 2012, 09:14
I'd love to see this fitzy in the flesh, I had my eye on this sale - I asked for pics but sadly ran out of cash that month :)

From my research into it, ISOs are good to go - just confirming what was mentinoed earlier. Like the 3DO, CD32, MegaCD and everything of that time they probably didn't think it was possible to copy CDs easily in the mid 90s and saved money on ignoring the problem!

Great for us retro gamers that copy protection is non-existent!

Hi Mate,

I'll bring it up to Zeet's next time :thumbsup:

Indeed it's good news we can play some of these Classic games which otherwise cost a fortune on Fleabay!

Steve.

Countraven
31st January 2012, 06:18
On the Neo Geo CD games released from 1995 and later there is a copy protection. Such ISOS would need to be patched before burned on real CD-r.

I do not know if the ISOS available on the internet nowadays are patched already but back in 2010 -when I got my two Neo Geo CD systems- there was a patch needed to the Copy protected ISOS -that was ripped directly from the originals- in order to run correctly.

Steve and anyone else: if you want more details about the patch I can PM you.

But there is a strong case for patched ISOS to be online as we speak.

But back then I have spent much time to discover about the Neo Geo CD copy protection as I came across to many unpatched ISOS and on first stage I thought my console was broken, but no.

So: Many Neo Geo CD originals, actually HAD copy protection.

Harrison
31st January 2012, 13:49
Remember guys, you can only make a copy and patch it if you own the original!

This is treading on thin ice regarding legality of discussion here. I will therefore close this discussion, but leave it public for information purposes.