PDA

View Full Version : Who knows SamKnows?

Shoonay
30th January 2012, 14:52
I recently participated in this: http://www.samknows.eu
Got the router today after a month of filling forms and confirming emails (yay for bureaucracy ;)), the setup was easy, got it up and running in no time.

Now I'd like to take a peek at the routers setup, but the route print command doesn't show me it's IP, so I was wondering how can I "get in"... :whistle:

Gouldin
30th January 2012, 16:20
As it's a bridge, just connect directly into your router instead of the white box and look at your routers dhcp table. It's a TP-Link box, so should have a name like that listed depending on how detailed your router/modem is of course :)

It's also possible that it uses your modems internal IP address so try that too.

Shoonay
30th January 2012, 16:38
I know, my router is still accessible just fine under 192.168.1.1 like always (it's also a TP-LINK model btw).

ARP and DHCP indicate that there is a new device with a new MAC Address that should be accissible at 192.168.1.100 but that's just dead (The connection was reset screen)

BritishGeek
30th January 2012, 17:06
That sounds like a great project to participate in.

Good for you for joining. It will be interesting to see the results after a while.

Iain :)

BrooksterMax
30th January 2012, 17:24
Well done for joining, I registered but seems that I was not selected.

Keep us updated on your discoveries!
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5

scrappysphinx
30th January 2012, 17:28
I looked and thought about it but unfortunately one of the requirements is that your connection must be stable and that's where i fail.

Mine connection disconnects itself every night at around 2am and stays off until i hit the dchp release and renew in the morning.

The daftest part is i have had this problem now on 4 different makes and models of routers.

Shoonay
30th January 2012, 17:43
@BrooksterMax: believe me, I waited a long time for the first mail from them (and every other ;)), so assuming your data input was all correct you still might hear from them.
On the other hand I heard this is quite popular in the UK so maybe they're full already?

@scrappysphinx: ain't that normal with some providers?

It is here, with Telekomunikacja Polska I get a reset and new IP as a bonus feature every 24 hours ;)
It's not set to any specific time though, I can just reset my connection anytime I want and I'll get a new IP and a new 24 hours countdown from that. ;)

I think it's not set to your IP, once you get that router from them you get to login to their dashboard with your email and a specific hardware MAC address of your router model.

I think what they meant by "stable" is that it is on for most of the day, they will measure the details like jitter and ping later which will define the stability of your line.

EDIT: oh, sorry, I've misread that, it's your router that actually hangs after a while? I remember I had such problems in the past, I've toyed with some options and it's fine now, think it had something to do with disabling IGMP Snooping and turning UPnP on?

scrappysphinx
30th January 2012, 18:24
Yeah its always the router, if i take the router out and wire directly to the modem it will run for months without problems.

As soon as I introduce a router into the equation it loses connection to the modem at around 2am every morning until i either reset the router or hit the dhcp release and renew.

I've tried 4 different routers now and they all experience the same problem. Starting to think either routers don't like me or there may be a problem with the modem.

jvdbossc
30th January 2012, 18:33
It's probably closed - they say you need to hook up to your router and then attach your pc to the white box.

Might be a nice project but 3 gigs is a lot to loose each month.. (down.)

Gouldin
30th January 2012, 18:34
Get a modem with a broadcom chipset, they don't crap out on ya.

After many years struggling with different clients adsl problems I've now settled on Billion BiPac 7800N's. Expensive, but the clients never complain once fitted.

Only good Netgear router is the old DG834g v4-v6. Rest of their range is awful.

Basically any modem with a broadcom chip will do nicely, won't disconnect the adsl and will handle dhcp nicely. :)

scrappysphinx
30th January 2012, 18:37
Thanks for the tip Gouldin but unfortunately i'm Virgin Media 120Mb Cable not adsl.
Anyway sorry for the off topic shoonay, let normal service resume.

Gouldin
30th January 2012, 18:40
Thanks for the tip Gouldin but unfortunately i'm Virgin Media 120Mb Cable not adsl.
Anyway sorry for the off topic shoonay, let normal service resume.

Billion modem i mentioned will do the 120mb cable too. Does GB cable connections :cool:

Have one of my clients setup with virgin cable and a cheap talk talk line as failover on the adsl port :)

Shoonay
30th January 2012, 19:06
Might be a nice project but 3 gigs is a lot to loose each month.. (down.)No problem for me, I've got unlimited up/down. ;)
Didn't even notice any slowdown, my brother is playing his browser games and browsing while I'm downloading some heavy stuff and browsing and I see no difference.
And I'm only on 7mb connection.

Billion modem i mentioned will do the 120mb cable too. Does GB cable connections :cool:

Have one of my clients setup with virgin cable and a cheap talk talk line as failover on the adsl port :smile:Billion AKA Pentagram Cerberus routers are pretty good, by my Cerberus, before it got struck by lightning that is, got pretty unstable at last months, no idea why.
Now I've got a very cheap TP-LINK and the connection is rock solid.

Shoonay
13th February 2012, 14:14
Been tastin' it for almost two weeks now so here are my stats, lovely stats! :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/22oK9.png

I know my connection sux since there's an awful amount of jitter, sometimes the packets gets lost etc.
I do not understand why it doesn't notice me watching streaming videos, and why did my upstream went so high if I only have 0.64kb/s? :blink: