Review: Sega MegaCD II

Justin

Country
United Kingdom
Region
UK
Hi to one and all,

i recently bought a MegaDrive II and MegaCD II from this here very site and now I have had a chance to use it for a while I figured it was time for a review, so here goes.......

First impressions are that I think it is a funky looking console, I like the way the MegaDrive slots onto the MegaCD(y)

I don't however like the fact that you need 2 different PSUs to power the thing(n) (one x MegaDrive 2 PSU and 1 x MegaDrive 1 PSU, although you can use an Atari Jag PSU as well, at least it gives me something positive to say about the Jag at long last:LOL:)

If you boot with a cart in place that is what will boot 1st, so remove the cart before loading up a CD.

Helpful hint here, when you try to load something like SonicCD you may get a message about formatting your memory in the control panel, this is not as easy as it seems so here's what to do "Start the system, press start to get to the BIOS interface, then insert a SegaCD game and close the drive door. Once the system sees the game, it will add 2 more options, memory and CDROM. If there isn't a SegaCD game inserted, you CANNOT do anything with the save RAM area.

Select memory. From there it's self-explanatory." nice:)

I am using the MegaCD via a RGB cable and the picture is well....as you would expect I guess, colourful and bright.

Sound is actually pretty good and Sonic does sound cool(y)

The MegaCD will play backups but it is not region free, so burning CDs will take a little research;)

The pads are pretty good, I think everyone knows these pads, I personally prefer the Power Stick, also worth noting is the MegaDrive II's pads have a red start button to match the console instead of the usual white button.

Pro's - looks great, easy to use, huge wealth of titles easily available and some great multiplayer fun to be had, also a lot of games that were on the Amiga were also on this system as well (yay!)

Con's - 2 x PSUs

so overall I'd say it is a great starter retro system that should give years of enjoyment, have you got one yet?

cheers, Justin

Attachments

• MegaCD.jpg
    MegaCD.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Controlers.jpg
    Controlers.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Cart.JPG
    Cart.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Sonic 2.JPG
    Sonic 2.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Boot screen.JPG
    Boot screen.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Sega logo.JPG
    Sega logo.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Sonic CD.jpg
    Sonic CD.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Useful info on the sam save option, couldn't be bothered to RTFM it when I got mine :LOL:

I now know how to do it.

PSU for the MegaCD & 32x combo is even worse. Had to use 2 Four way plug adaptors to get it to fit.

Wonder if there is a 3rd party adaptor that has all 3 power leads coming from one PSU? I'd buy one of them in a heart beat.

The MegaCD will play backups but it is not region free, so burning CDs will take a little research;)
That can be sorted too since with a little know-how, they can be converted to PAL format (regarless of language). (y)

Back
Top Bottom