Win XP BSOD Ntfs.sys driver error

Harrison

Country
UK
Region
West Sussex
My installations of XP have generally been very stable and run as long as needed. My download server has been up for months without an issue. But this morning I got up to discover one of my systems had blue screened. This was recently built from an existing parts including an Athlon 64 CPU and existing ram, but a new motherboard.

The BSOD error referred to Ntfs.sys with the error number 0x00000024

On searching for this many sites are saying it can be caused by a faulty PSU. Has anyone else here encountered such a problem and this error?

On looking though the event logs it did log 4 errors the same in a row as its last entry before the next entry being the successful boot entries for this morning. All report a read error (bad block) on a DVD in one of the DVD drives which I had left copying its contents to the HDD when I went to bed last night.

Could a bad block read error on a DVD cause a BSOD system crash? I've never encountered that before.

It has also now got me wondering if the PSU is strong enough. It's a 500W unit and the system is running an Athlon 64 4000+, 3GB Ram, 1x120GB SATA HDD, 3x1TB SATA HDD, 2x 8xDVD-RW, nVidia 7800GT 256MB GPU. Personally I thought a 500W PSU was more than strong enough.

Re: Win XP BSOD Ntfs.sys driver error

Harrison said:
Could a bad block read error on a DVD cause a BSOD system crash? I've never encountered that before.
I had, quite a few times and in general trying a few times on the same disk.
Actually it's on a CD read on a DVD writer drive but that's the case.

Strange with those "modern" OSes and CD/DVD drives, can't remember anything back on Win98 and I think the first (non-SP) versions of XP.
Somewhere in the XP SP1 era it all broke and I got BSOD's on CD's that had a few errors.
Remember trying out a few CD's when Vista came out and still got BSOD's, same thing on Win7 (build 7100) a few days ago when I was going through my old (~1999) CD's collection.

Tried to turn off the antivirus, tried Windows's file browser, try a proper file manager (Speed Commander 12) - if there is an error on some file and you try to copy it or even read it... BOOM! Instant BSOD :(

It is good in a way if that is all that is causing it, and it isn't a PSU or other hardware issue.

I'm going to see how much of the DVD it managed to copy last night and then see if it will continue via the other DVD-RW in the same PC. Maybe the drive I was using had some issue when trying to read the bad sector. But first I'm going to run the DVD through CDCheck on a different PC to see if it does find any errors on the actual disk.

I've not had a BSOD happen with a disc read error in years. Used to happen all the time with Win98, but not must that I can remember since Win2000. Strange. Normally I just get a popup error box saying Windows cannot read the disc, or a cyclic redundancy error. Maybe it is a combination of a different motherboard with the drive I'm using that XP suddenly didn't like? Who knows.

And thanks for the info.

Harrison said:
I've not had a BSOD happen with a disc read error in years. Used to happen all the time with Win98, but not must that I can remember since Win2000. Strange.
Haha, funny... the exact opposite to my experience :)
Harrison said:
Normally I just get a popup error box saying Windows cannot read the disc, or a cyclic redundancy error.
Exactly, that's what I always expect it to do :(
Harrison said:
Maybe it is a combination of a different motherboard with the drive I'm using that XP suddenly didn't like? Who knows.
Yeah, must be something with that...
Hmmm... well I do remember that when I got my first-ever CD writer back in ~1999, a Mitsumi drive, it wasn't very solid stable at writing stuff (or it was the CeQuadrant burning soft that hanged, no idea...) but it did read *EVERYTHING*.
And if it couldn't it always popup with an error message.
Maybe today's drives are worse?

On the side note: I wonder what would happen if I'd connect an CD drive to the USB2IDE converter?
It shouldn't hang the whole system if it encounters an error, should it?

That is a good point. USB devices going wrong don't normally hang anything in my experience. They normally just disappear from the system if they crash. Could be a way to avoid system wide crashing.

Interestingly I ran the disc though CDCheck on a different system with an NEC drive and it returned no errors at all and was read perfectly. I then put the disc into the NEC DVD-RW drive in the system that crashed and it couldn't even read or see the disc. But putting it into the LiteOn DVD-RW drive that it was in last night and it read it perfectly and I just finished copying its whole contents to the HDD without an issue. Very strange.

Over the years I've had a lot of experience with CD/DVD duplicators and with setting up and using CD/DVD/DVD-Ram drives in many different systems for work related stuff. Mainly testing multimedia and DVD projects, and duplicating. Out of all the systems SCSI CD-RW setups were the worst. Very unstable back at the time they were popular, and you had to just leave the system alone while i was writing a disc or it was in danger of completely crashing. I've also found that different makes and models of drive make a big different to stability of a system. The first DVD writer I bought, a Pioneer Authoring drive, was an external SCSI unit, and that was really stable and never produced a single coaster. However the next drive I bought was an internal IDE Sony drive (one of the first models they made) and it was very fussy at reading and writing to certain brands of blank media. And sometimes it would write a disc and then not be able to read it, but it could be read in other drives. Mad.

In more recent years I have concluded that Pioneer and NEC drives are the best for writing discs, but not always the best are reading every disc you try on them. For that Liteon writers are the best. The don't burn discs quite as accurately as NEC or Pioneer drives, but they hardly ever have a problem reading a disc, even a badly scratched one. Must have some good error correction software built into them. Sadly NEC don't make drives themselves anymore and instead formed a joint venture with Sony to produce the Optiarc drive range. They are meant to be quite good though.

And as I said, I've not has a BSOD due to a disc read error before in XP or Vista. And not that I remember in 2000, although it was a long time ago so is possible. Win98 though was another story. BSOD all the time every day on my works machine at the time. Was a nightmare. So glad Win9x code is now a thing of the past for all but retro gaming. And also glad CD writing software has come a long way. That used to be really unstable too. Roxio software especially. Nero sorted all that out (well until version 9 that is). And IMGBurn is great these days.

sounds like your NTFS filesystem driver got corrupt, try making a usb dos disk and put NTFS.sys from a working install, then copy it into your system32 folder.

Good Luck

Dreamy

It has been working perfectly ever since so no idea what happened... one of those strange one off bugs. So probably no need to replace the ntfs driver.

It's called Micro$haft Harrison! :mrgreen:

Kin

Kin Hell said:
It's called Micro$haft Harrison! :mrgreen:

Kin
I have Micro$haft woodycool at home .... it seems to constanly f**k up!

If it's only a file system corruption related, i have used Hiren's BootCD Does not help, if the hardware itself is slowly dying. This cd contains ton's of useful tools for recovering/repairing HD's. As always, everything can always go wrong and all important data may be lost forever, while using any of those tools, but we all know it anyways :shrug:

Hessu said:
If it's only a file system corruption related, i have used Hiren's BootCD Does not help, if the hardware itself is slowly dying. This cd contains ton's of useful tools for recovering/repairing HD's. As always, everything can always go wrong and all important data may be lost forever, while using any of those tools, but we all know it anyways :shrug:
Ah, Hiren's BootCD .... VERY useful tool. No PC engineer/repairer should be without it!

Back
Top Bottom