Review: It came from the desert -Amiga

mjnurney

we live as we dream. Alone.
Country
england
Region
Milton Keynes
Another game for the amiga that kept me playing again and again!

IT CAME FROM THE DESERT!

It Came from the Desert is a computer game by our friendly Amiga heroes, Cinemaware. It Came From the Desert takes its inspiration from the Hollywood B movies of the 50s. You know the ones , black & white movies late at night on channel 4 ! the ones that scared you silly!

... The game is set in the 1950s. When the back water American town of Lizard Breath witnesses a meteor fall, town geologist and player character Greg Bradley has to discover the source of some strange occurrences that follow the meteor crash.

You start the game in your house and you are soon visited by an old man offering you some strange glowing stones...found them up by the mines - where the meteor struck.

and so your quest begins in both pop up dialogue and action scenes throughout the game. A large map of the town gives you the option to move from place to place and visit bars, hospital, the sheriff, mayor and various other places. Along the way you run in to thugs , stranded buxom women and the odd killer ant or two.

Don't wait around too long, time is ticking and the town will be invaded in just a few hours.

Gameplay:

think sim city layout but with nice pop up dialogue, some nice back drops and a funky sound track - atmosphere oozes more than on a russ abbot album.
Towns folk will chat to you when you click on a new location but actual animation is limited in these scenes, this game was made for the humble A500.

Action scenes have to be learnt quickly , car fights , airplane flying and gun fights are all important and keeping the busty nurse satisfied in the hospital doesn't hurt either.

Yep it is as hard or easy as you make it really. The event that will happen , will happen unless you destroy the ants nest. fool around and you will be killed and the town overrun. Clues and hints are there in the game but you have to look for them sometimes. keep an eye on the time and day, and rendezvous are best kept.

The most important part of the game is to prove to the townspeople that the giant ants are real and convince the mayor to call upon the national guard to fight the ants. Only in using every resource available in town, from workers to the tanks and fighter jets of the national guard, will the player be able to take the fight to the giant ants.

not everyone is your friend.

Graphics - very good
sounds - very good
gameplay - excellent but some will hate it i bet!
fun - heaps

Stats:
CinemaWare
2 disks
OCS
1mb required.
Whdload version.

mike.

VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTWd_eyAmgQ

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 19.16.20.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 19.16.20.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 19.16.26.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 19.16.26.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 19.16.33.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 19.16.33.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 19.16.39.png
    Screen Shot 2012-02-02 at 19.16.39.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Another great review mate! Now I wanna go play it again!

Actually, its minimum 1 meg of ram.

I spent many, many hours after high school trying to get it to load on my 512k A500 to no avail, until I spent $200 AUD on a 512k trapdoor mem upgrade :) That was 1989 from memory.

Great cinematic game, really addictive till the end. (y)

Thanks for the review Mike - ICFTD is one of my favourite games (Cinemaware were great weren't they!).

I was playing it the other night for a bit too :) Great stuff (y)

John

You sure it's 1 meg? I didn't think I had 1 meg back then :)

Oh right I stand corrected good sir's

:)

I wonder how I got 1mb in those days

Back
Top Bottom