Which image format for backdrop pic in WB3.0?

rossi46

Country
Melrose, Roxburghshire, UK
Region
Scotland
I was trying to jazz-up my WB3.0 with some Amiga-related images (in .jpg format) and couldn't get anything to appear in my choices using the prefs options in WB.

Which format does it have to be? Is it even possible in WB3 (with 10mb total RAM currently and and an accelerator en-route?)

cheers

For JPG pictures, you have to install the JPG datatype first. IFFs aren't a problem, and they're faster too.

If in doubt, stick with IFF wherever possible. It's the Amiga's "native" graphics format, so as Phantom says, should be fast and compatible.

So I converted my .jpg to .iff using XNView.

Copied onto my removable SD card and navigated in Prefs to where it is. Still, it doesn't show in my prefs list and if I type in the file name I get the 'does not contain graphics' error.

What am I doing wrong, please?

When going in Prefs drawer and clicking the WBPattern icon you're presented with the screen below.

WBpattern.png

On the "Type" select Picture instead of the default Pattern value then the button below (Select Picture) will be available to click.
Clicking that button will open a dialogue window which by default opens the path SYS:prefs
Since your picture is an SD Card, apparently you need to browse to this Volume/drawer accordingly.

Just press the Volume button and go to your SD Card and select the file that you converted and you're set :)

Btw... what screenmode do you use and at how many colors? Can you send me your picture to convert it for you to give it a shot as well?

Hi there. Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I did navigate successfully to the correct location. It only shows the drawers in the list and when I open them, they're empty. That's when I type in the actual name of the image and get the error message.

Here's the (unconverted) .png image I want to use:

boing.png

I'm using PAL 256 colours in the screenmode

Thanks

Paul

Hi mate,

It's better to export the image to BPM format from XnView and then convert to IFF just for safety :)

I'm attaching an archive with 3xBackdrops:
- Your original converted to IFF
- A converted to 256 colors
- A converted to 16 colors, based on Rebel's palette

Enjoy :)

Attachments

• BoingBackdrop.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Job done!

Nice one, my friend, it looks much better now. In the end, I used the 256 colour image for the backdrop and all's well. Incidentally, the 'original.iff' wasn't accepted, only the 16 and 256 images.

Many thanks, though :)

Paul

Back
Top Bottom