PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Netbook Help

scrappysphinx
2nd February 2012, 23:18
Hi all, i have my cousins Compaq Netbook in front of me after he asked me to help him with a problem he has.

Basically the laptop will boot, log in to windows (7 Started Edition) and seem to work fine but that's when the problem occurs.

It basically might be after 5 minutes or 20 minutes.
The screen will go black, the power light and charging light are still on, the hdd light shows no activity but the fan is still running.

If i switch the machine off and then back on it starts to boot again but tells me windows failed to boot and offers me safe mode, repair windows or boot normally.

I chose repair windows, it started checking for problems but the screen went off again with no hdd activity displaying, upon reboot again shows the safe mode, repair or boot normally.

I tried leaving the laptop on in the bios screen and again the screen goes black.

I've tried replacing the ram.. same thing.

I've tried replacing the hdd.. same thing.

I've tried running a restore.. same thing.

I've tried booting a windows 7 dvd.. same thing.

I thought about bios upgrade but didn't want to risk it in case the black screen occurs and the upgrade fails.

Anyone know anything else i can try or should i tell him it's dead and see if its still in warranty?

Thanks

Chinners
2nd February 2012, 23:20
Hi all, i have my cousins Compaq Netbook in front of me after he asked me to help him with a problem he has.
<snip snippy snip snip/>
Anyone know anything else i can try or should i tell him it's dead and see if its still in warranty?

Thanks

I've had an issue with some cheapo laptop that decided upon boot to output to the external VGA, even though it wasn't connected. Is there an FN/F key combination to switch between displays?

thecellartroll
2nd February 2012, 23:20
Don't know about Compaqs but eeePCs suffer from the same fault if you install windows 7 and don't upgrade the Intel graphics drivers to the latest version.

scrappysphinx
2nd February 2012, 23:21
@Chinners, Hi mate, sorry missed that one, i tried connecting an external vga screen to laptop and again booted then after a few minutes.. black screen.

@thecellartroll, that's thing mate, it even switches off the screen in the bios before windows even boots. Also switches the screen off while booting an installation dvd.

johnim
2nd February 2012, 23:26
could it be a dogey backlite on screen

BritishGeek
2nd February 2012, 23:26
Try a different PSU.

Also check the power switch to make sure it's working properly.

scrappysphinx
2nd February 2012, 23:28
@johnim, could be a backlight problem i suppose but surely an external vga screen wouldn't suffer the same problem.

@britishgeek, i suppose psu could be a problem but it also does the same thing while running on battery. I also don't have another psu to try so will probably have to return the netbook to him.

Chinners
2nd February 2012, 23:31
could it be a dogey backlite on screen

Second to this.
When the screen goes black, if you can get a bright light source (led torch) and hold it against the screen, you may be able to see if the screen is still active.

I had a telly that would appear to turn itself off every now and again - it was one of the back lights failing, which triggered the whole lighting circuit to shut down.

scrappysphinx
2nd February 2012, 23:39
Could be backlight but as i said all activity on the netbook apart from fans ceases to exist.
For example, i started the laptop installing windows 7 onto a blank hdd and the hdd activity light was going crazy and was about 20% installed when the screen went off. As soon as the screen went black the hdd activity light stopped, i could no longer hear hdd activity.

Also with an external display connected to the vga port, again the screen goes black and all activity stops which leads me to believe that its not the backlight.

BritishGeek
2nd February 2012, 23:51
I had the exact same problem with my tower when i built it last year. All the troubleshooting and returning every part. Turns out it was a faulty reset switch on the tower itself. That's why I suggested the power switch.

the symptoms I was having are 100% as you describe but then with a tower.

It is pretty evident it is a hardware problem in your netbook, could be that a component like the video chip is overheating and the system is automatically shutting down.

Could be backlight but as i said all activity on the netbook apart from fans ceases to exist.
For example, i started the laptop installing windows 7 onto a blank hdd and the hdd activity light was going crazy and was about 20% installed when the screen went off. As soon as the screen went black the hdd activity light stopped, i could no longer hear hdd activity.

Also with an external display connected to the vga port, again the screen goes black and all activity stops which leads me to believe that its not the backlight.

Tajmaster
2nd February 2012, 23:52
Is it over heating? Try blowing a fan into the vent?

scrappysphinx
2nd February 2012, 23:59
Hi Taj, doesn't seem to be overheating, fan is clean and blowing cool air out and the casing is very cool to touch.

I think it's definitely a hardware issue so i think i'm just gonna return it to him and see if it's still in warranty.

TheCorfiot
3rd February 2012, 08:07
CPU fault for sure mate,,, if its under warrenty get it replaced.

TC :cool:

Merlin
3rd February 2012, 08:30
CPU fault for sure mate,,, if its under warrenty get it replaced.

TC :cool:

This. The CPU or GPU is faulty.

cosmicfrog
3rd February 2012, 14:55
Yep sounds like an over heating prob to me to, be nice if bios would tell you some temps

if it dose the time to read them would be as soon as you can after the machine dies

if it is an over heatin problem it prob on the cpu which is fairly easy to fix and probably compaq have all the docs on therew site how to strip the thing down

scrappysphinx
3rd February 2012, 15:01
Hi guys, checked the warranty.. its out since 16th dec 2011.

I handed it back to him this morning and we contacted HP this afternoon.

They will offer an out of warranty repair for 85 inc vat or he can purchase an out of warranty care pack which will basically extend his warranty for the next 3 years inc parts and labour for 52 inc vat.

Obviously we chose the care pack and he's now awaiting the machine to be collected so it will be fixed by HP themselves.

cosmicfrog
3rd February 2012, 15:46
85 to take the cpu cooler off and replace it LOL like I said did you look on their site for the full documentation of how to do such a thing ?

or find out how hot the thing is running at ?

scrappysphinx
3rd February 2012, 16:13
Hi cosmic, yeah i wondered about temps but the bios doesn't provide any info.
Its very easy to dismantle the netbook, the bottom cover slides off via a small latch and gives access to memory, hdd and cpu. But he's purchased the 3 year care pack now and the netbook should be collected and fixed early next week.

thecellartroll
3rd February 2012, 16:53
85 to take the cpu cooler off and replace it LOL like I said did you look on their site for the full documentation of how to do such a thing ?

or find out how hot the thing is running at ?

Most netbooks have the CPU soldered to the mainboard.

scrappysphinx
3rd February 2012, 16:56
Yeah the cpu is an atom and is soldered to the board but the heatsink/cooler and heatpipe can still be removed.

ShambleS1980
3rd February 2012, 20:11
it sounds like a possible GPU fault serious vdroop or bad cap to me.
have you checked all the caps?

Simon_G
3rd February 2012, 21:54
Without knowing the model of the netbook (what is it?) I'd go with the old Nvidia GPU problem (assuming it is an Nvidia chipset)

Seeing as its a HP (well Compaq through HP), I'd bet my house on it.

Its not the backlight, as they either work or don't, so you would get problems from the outset not after a select period of time.

cosmicfrog
5th February 2012, 10:55
most but not all have em solderd to the board

thanks for the extra info scrappysphinx has satisfied my curiosity, appreciated that

thats one thing that anoyes me about HP/Compac/Dell and co the lack of info, options you can access in the bios

so now concur prob best course of action is the one you are on :) even if it dose cost but thats how it gose some times, though I would`t take out the extended warrentry well unless the do a crap job of fixxin it of course heheheh

all the best