PDA

View Full Version : IDE Cables Question...

fitzsteve
4th February 2012, 19:31
Howdy!

I have nice rounded IDE cables here but they all have one pin hole blanked like this:

http://www.computer-hardware-explained.com/image-files/sata-vs-ide-labelled.jpg

Is it possible to use these on the A4000 if you drill out that blanked hole?

I'd love to replace those flat IDE cables :coffee:

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Steve.

TheCorfiot
4th February 2012, 19:39
Just use a small jewelers screwdriver to create a hole deep enough for the drives pin to sit in.

I do this all the time mate, the pin is designated as a keyway and not used by the ATA std.

TC ;)

fitzsteve
4th February 2012, 19:49
Awesome, I'll give that a try :)

Cheers :thumbsup:

-Acid-
4th February 2012, 21:18
i never knew that

jvdbossc
4th February 2012, 21:22
i never knew that

It was red wire to 0 marker in the early day's on pc. As it still is. I never had dammage putting it the wrong way around, but the cable above is better...:roll:

ShambleS1980
4th February 2012, 21:48
i killed a hdd years ago puting the dumb thing in upside down lol..
funy thing is they all seemed to have a mark where the plastick knotch should be..:Doh:

Skilgannon
4th February 2012, 22:16
I have a pile of IDE cables that don't have the blanked out hole if you want some mate - saves the hassle of boring them out.

Cheers

J

AndyLandy
4th February 2012, 23:02
Controversially, you could alternatively snap off the pin on your A4000 motherboard... :o

BLTCON0
4th February 2012, 23:24
@AndyLandy
That's 100% correct, maybe even the logical thing to do, but who has the heart to do that on an Amiga? :p
My preferred method of opening those screened keyholes is viciously pushing the connector plug onto the header pins of some connector on a useless PC motherboard.
:twisted::devil::woot::smdevil:

Gouldin
4th February 2012, 23:24
Controversially, you could alternatively snap off the pin on your A4000 motherboard... :o

What I tend to do with kit that has the pin :P

AndyLandy
5th February 2012, 08:38
@AndyLandy
That's 100% correct, maybe even the logical thing to do, but who has the heart to do that on an Amiga? :p
My preferred method of opening those screened keyholes is viciously pushing the connector plug onto the header pins of some connector on a useless PC motherboard.
:twisted::devil::woot::smdevil:

I'm the same. It's the Right Thing™, give me a peecee motherboard with that extra pin and out come the tweezers to snap it off, no second thoughts. But an Amiga? It just feels wrong.

:thumbsup:

cosmicfrog
5th February 2012, 10:06
been there done that even went to the wiki to find out why the cables are like that

instead of takeing the offending pin off you can bend it 90 degrees and most of the time the cable will fit nicely