Review: Logitech Gaming Mouse G400

Witcher1979

Banned
Country
Westleton, Suffolk, UK
Region
Suffolk
Hey

My mouse packed up after 6 months of use so I sent it back to overclockers, they offered me a different mouse worth £5 more at their expense. I took this offer :p

The mouse I was offered is the Logitech G400 the new MX518

First glance it looks ok, feels comfortable and it is a nice big heavy mouse. I have pretty big hands really and most mice I have to use the crab effect, but my hand fits well on this mouse for a change. This might sound silly but the one thing it did not come with was any driver software, for me this is a big plus as I hate driver discs. Everytime you get one the software is out of date and you need to download it anyway so this is a good thing.

So I plugged it in and win 7 detected it and installed its drivers. I then went to the website and downloaded 50meg's worth of software. The software contains a newer driver and the software to program the buttons.

I loaded up the software and was quite amazed pretty much all my games appeared on the mouse program screen. So I can just select my games picture and set about setting my buttons up. Setting buttons up is dead easy, as this mouse downloads profiles of all the commands from your games itself. This puts all the commands on the left hand side and the mouse picture on the right side. All you do is drag a command from the left box onto the mouse button on the right. Fantastic setup and better then my last one.

Now coming up to the best bit, once you have setup all your commands for each game you just close the program and it sits in the taskbar bit near your clock. It auto detects which game you have loaded and loads the profile you set up for it, this is magic as my last mouse I had to load each profile by hand before starting my games, this does it all for you.

It has 4 DPI settings 400,800,1800 and the max being 3600 which is pretty good. You have buttons on the mouse itself to change these during gaming and you can set them up to different settings in the software itself.

The mouse itself has two thumb buttons, mouse wheel and click, dpi up, dpi down and a button to reset DPI back to normal not forgetting the normal left/right click buttons, so 8 in total. You can program all these buttons to do what you want when gaming.

This mouse is actually on offer right now at £24.98, I believe it was first out in July of last year:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-200-LG

- Weight: 133 g
- Connectivity Technology: USB
- Movement Detection Technology: Optical
- Buttons Qty: 8
- Movement Resolution: 3600 dpi
- Performance: 1 ms response time, 5.8 megapixels per second, realtime sensitivity switching 400 - 3600 dpi, 25 G maximum acceleration
- Features: Programmable buttons, sensitivity adjustment, polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) feet
- Cables Included: 1 x USB cable - integrated
- 3 years warranty

Out of all the mice I have used I would give this a solid 4 out of 5, does what it says on the box with no messing about and nice easy software. I can't give it a 5 because I am sure a mouse exists that is better that I have not yet tried, but Logitech mice in general I have always found to be very good quality.

Pics:

Logitech do make some very nice mice.

I use the older, and big brother of your new mouse, G500, and am also very please with it. Until I got this mouse I always bought Microsoft optical nice (explorer editions to be exact) and had been really happy with them, but the G500 blew them out of the water for comfort and how nice it is to use.

Looking at the G400 it looks like Logitech have basically created a cut down version of the G500, so i can imagine it is just as nice to use. The G500 has a few extras such as the weigh system, where you can alter the weight of the mouse by adding and removing the supplied weights under the mouse.

Once question? What does the flashlight button do? On the G500 where this button is, it releases the metal flywheel mouse wheel into free mode so you can spin it to continue scrolling forever until you stop it with your finger. Great for quickly scrolling down huge webpages.

Logitech do make some very nice mice.

I use the older, and big brother of your new mouse, G500, and am also very please with it. Until I got this mouse I always bought Microsoft optical nice (explorer editions to be exact) and had been really happy with them, but the G500 blew them out of the water for comfort and how nice it is to use.

Looking at the G400 it looks like Logitech have basically created a cut down version of the G500, so i can imagine it is just as nice to use. The G500 has a few extras such as the weigh system, where you can alter the weight of the mouse by adding and removing the supplied weights under the mouse.

Once question? What does the flashlight button do? On the G500 where this button is, it releases the metal flywheel mouse wheel into free mode so you can spin it to continue scrolling forever until you stop it with your finger. Great for quickly scrolling down huge webpages.

Hey m8

I have always wanted to play with those mice that has the weights :) They are sadly out of my price range :)

The flashlight button is just a setting I have setup for BF3, it turns on the ingame flashlight :p But as standard without it being setup for a game that button resets the DPI back to factory setting. That G500 you have does look impressive (y)

Back
Top Bottom