PDA

View Full Version : permanent marker ink removal from A4000 front pannel

lostrego
8th February 2012, 17:22
Hi there.

I'm restarting works on my A4000 project and need some advice to remove permanet marker ink from its front pannel (a masterpiece of "artwork" done by myself years ago on a moment of silliness :p).

Here is the subject:

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd427/lostrego242/4k_ink.jpg

For what I know a soft cloth and isopropyl alcohol sould do the work ok,but my fears are about blurring that ink all over it, making things worse, so before proceeding I'd better ask for advice, has anyone a hit on this issue?

As always, thanks :).

J.T.Kirk
8th February 2012, 17:26
You can easily take-out the face-plate and use your ingredients, and then wash it in your bathroom and leave it all night to dry. :)

Chinners
8th February 2012, 17:28
I know on whiteboards, if you accidentally use a permanent marker, you can draw over it with a proper whiteboard pen, and the permanent marker gets dissolved and you can rub the whole lot away without any harsh chemicals.

Maybe that could be a starter? If using a black dry-marker, can it make things worse?

ShambleS1980
8th February 2012, 17:33
i would imagine that retro bright may help?
cant know for sure but sure seems like something that may just kick the booty out of marker pen.

But wait for other people who know more about it to reply.

I wouldnt use accetone or anything that harsh though.

AndyLandy
8th February 2012, 17:36
You just need an alcohol-based solvent to dissolve the ink again. Isopropyl alcohol should do the trick. I've been known to remove permanent marker from whiteboards with deodorant aerosols!

Yes, it will blur and streak everywhere when you start, but don't lose hope. It has to get worse before it can get better. The only thing I'd be wary of is the A4000 nameplate, you probably want to either remove it or pop some masking tape over it to protect it whilst you attempt the task!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

lostrego
8th February 2012, 17:50
Wow, That's what I call an ultra-fast response! :)

Thanks for advice, I know that alcohol should do the trick ok, but I don't really know how well will it perform in a somewhat rugged PVC plastic surface as this pannel is.

I just wanted to discard the possibilty of ending with some permanent blurred ink patina all over it.

And for the retro-brite thing, well I'll do to it aswell but I want to get a perfect surface before performing that.

Thanks! :)

tokyoracer
8th February 2012, 18:36
I heard WD-40 and/or ligher fluid works. However I know using another marker and quickly wiping off works though I wouldnt recommend it on textured plastic.

jvdbossc
8th February 2012, 18:50
I use alcohol when my marker is empty, it prolongs its life by two...

It is not "permanent" marker. If you write with it on a bottle and spill some alcohol on it it dissolves just as non permanent marker.

I recommend in your situation spritus. That is pure ethanol for cheap. There is only methanol added to prevent you from drinking it. Using that and a tooth brush you will have enough for the job.

You even could make a bath for the front with half wather and half spiritus. I would use a plastic bag for cheap...

r0jaws
8th February 2012, 18:53
Whatever you use, remember to test it on an unobtrusive spot first to see if it affects the plastic.

Merlin
8th February 2012, 19:23
Andy is right, either iso propyl alcohol or methylated spirits will remove permanent marker pen without damaging the plastic at all.

It makes a mockery of the word 'Permanent' though, doesn't it? :p

:thumbsup:

cosmicfrog
8th February 2012, 19:57
Isopropyl alcohol/ solvent something softer than the plastic you are cleaning
plastic sponge from the sink got be fairly rough though , and plenty of elbow grease

lostrego
9th February 2012, 16:12
Well, thanks again, I'd do it with an old cleaning mitt and IPA (as i have a surplus of it from previous mobo cleaning).

And about the elbow grease, it was something that I already assumed from the beginning... sigh!... :(.

Otherwise, if things go wrong there is always the option of painting the whole item in black (A3400 anyone?). :lol:

Bye.

cosmicfrog
11th February 2012, 15:37
Dam and was hopeing you found some where where you could buy the stuff heheheh

good luck