PDA

View Full Version : memory help for my new pc

morcar
9th February 2012, 11:14
my motherboard specs says this

4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)*/1600/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture

does this mean i have to buy 2 matching pairs or will a single stick work on it ?

I am asking because i got all my pc parts and i placed the single stick in and i get nothing. The fan on the cpu starts and the gfx card fan goes but nothing on the screen at all.

slk486
9th February 2012, 11:19
No you dont HAVE to have more than one stick in. The stick is either not properly seated, incompatible or broken :)

Have you tried the mobo/gfx card with another stick?

drbrain
9th February 2012, 11:21
Most motherboards support a single memory stick. but it often has to be in a specific slot.
Check the manual, usually there's some info on where a single stick should be placed.

morcar
9th February 2012, 11:32
this is the memory i used

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1444016775

slk486
9th February 2012, 11:46
If it's a new mobo, often times these things can be fixed by reinserting the stick and making absolutely sure it's well seated. Blow on the socket, blow on the stick. Make sure there is no dirt on the socket/stick.

morcar
9th February 2012, 11:50
just so you know this is the mobo i have and i still cant get it going. I might have to buy new memory if i cant get this going. :(

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7P55M/

Gouldin
9th February 2012, 12:05
Reset the bios via the jumpers, if you can't see the jumper, then pull the battery out for a few secs, put it back in and boot up, should load safe default values.

McVenco
9th February 2012, 12:20
blow on the stick. Make sure there is no dirt on the stick.

2012 Amibay Quote Contest topic, I'm hereby opening you! :)

D.B
9th February 2012, 12:49
If it's a new mobo, often times these things can be fixed by reinserting the stick and making absolutely sure it's well seated. Blow on the socket, blow on the stick. Make sure there is no dirt on the socket/stick.

making sure you don't spray spit whilst you do. :roll:

Lechuck
9th February 2012, 12:54
blow on the stick. Make sure there is no dirt on the socket/stick.

making sure you don't spray spit whilst you do. :roll:

Why not?I am sure the stick will apprecite it:D

cosmicfrog
9th February 2012, 12:55
nagh blowing on it is all right but for best result give it a bloody good talking to

really cant see why one stick should`t work unless its duff or the mobo is

Merlin
9th February 2012, 12:58
Some boards can be quite fussy with memory. I have an Asus Socket AM3 board here that can't see Mushkin memory but sees Corsair memory with no problem.

Harrison
9th February 2012, 13:40
I am asking because i got all my pc parts and i placed the single stick in and i get nothing. The fan on the cpu starts and the gfx card fan goes but nothing on the screen at all.

Why do you think it is the ram? If the system seems to be running (fans are spinning when powered up) but you are not getting anything displayed then it is posting something, but not outputting it to the monitor.

Do you have a case speaker plugged into the motherboard speaker connector (you find this as part of the pins for connecting the case front panel wires). This will beep different sequences that will tell you what the problem is.

One simple thing if you have a graphics card with multiple monitor outputs is that many are fussy about which port you have the monitor connected to. The last 2 AMD Radeon cards I have owned both needed it connected to the top DVI port or it would boot, but not display anything, and you can't just swap the cables whilst running, but have to power down and reboot.

Also as someone else mentioned, many motherboards require 1 stick of ram to be in a specific slot, which will be shown in the motherboard manual. For Asus boards this is always the second slot from the CPU (for example).

johnim
9th February 2012, 13:55
i would have said check the mobo graphics out but none on that board. could be bios version with you processor. has your gpu got pcix power connected

Harrison
9th February 2012, 14:09
Current graphics cards normally will post OK at the bios without the extra power connectors plugged in. It's only once the card is asked to do more work than the PCI-E bus can supply that the system would fall over.

However it is definitely something else worth considering is the issue. As I said before look in the motherboard manual and see if it has beep error codes listed and you connect a speaker up to the motherboard to hear them. This should tell you the issue.

BTW, just picked up a new Asus board myself and it has a really cool feature. An LED next to every main component (CPU, Ram, GPU and boot drive). If any of them have an issue at post it keeps the LED for that hardware lit up.

morcar
9th February 2012, 14:12
ok looking on google as i am now getting 1 long beep and 2 short ones i think the memory is incompatable i will know if this is right as i will buy new memory today.

Chinners
9th February 2012, 14:19
1 long un & 2 shorties...
snigger...

but that's a video card issue....

morcar
9th February 2012, 14:23
sorry typo there 1 long beep and 3 short ones

McVenco
9th February 2012, 14:30
1 long beep and 3 short ones

Is there a new censorthingy on the forum? Usually it says **** instead of beep

:mrgreen:

morcar
9th February 2012, 16:00
we will know if its the memory as i should have more tommorow ... still gutted though

johnim
9th February 2012, 16:10
@harrison my asus mobos have the led feature p55s

Harrison
9th February 2012, 16:12
Is a cool feature, isn't it. :) I also like the fact they have put switches on the motherboard instead of the usual fiddly pin jumpers. No idea why others have never done this.

Chinners
9th February 2012, 16:17
Well, my mobo has millions of status LEDs and an LED hex readout... :p

Mind you, it's really showing its age now. (ABIT Fatal1ty AN9 32X (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127237))

Harrison
9th February 2012, 16:44
Fatal1ty boards have always had loads of nice features. Similar with the Asus Maximus and Republic of Gamer boards.

Chinners
9th February 2012, 16:48
Falal1ty
A bit close to Failality for my liking ;)

morcar
9th February 2012, 16:53
looking more into this and it may be my gfx card is not seated right so i might take a look at this in a moment

slk486
9th February 2012, 17:21
A little spittle goes a long way... :cool:

So you haven't actually confirmed gfx card or mobo? Blaming memory is so easy :lol:

ShambleS1980
9th February 2012, 17:32
my abit quad gt has a lil digital led hex error readout, It also tells you what its doing at the time.
lil cmos reset button Power and reset button all on the board. with fully solid state caps..
i love my quad Gt,
But why did abit have to go buh bye :(:overactor:

Just to check btw.
you dont happen to have onboard gfx do you?
if you do does that work, and if it does can you change the settings in the bios to boot from pcie 1st?

morcar
9th February 2012, 17:54
no there is no onboard gfx. I did check the gfx card on my wifes pc and its working fine

ShambleS1980
9th February 2012, 19:30
just to get this right..
you power on fans spin then keep on spinning right?
they dont just stop right..

if they just stop after like 1 routation or something then its probably the cpu not being seated right. or heat sink.

Also do you have all the power conenctors connected? i imagine the cpu needs an additional 12v rail (or 2) connected to the board near it as well as the atx connection.
and that the gpu if it needs it has also got its extra power?

Also am should usualy go in bank 1. but some boards are colour co ordinated.
And dual channel go in blue and any single ram would go in a diferent bank (usualy orange and bank 2/3 depending on the board.)

morcar
9th February 2012, 21:05
I tried everything on the wifes pc as she also takes ddr3 and my results were interesting to say the least.

Memory worked although crashed while loading up windows 7.

I also tried the gfx card and i couldnt get anything up with any ram i had including the 100% working ram from my wifes PC. Tomorrow I am getting dual channel memory (kingston) so if this works i am happy if not then i feel the gfx card might need to be returned to ebuyer and i get a new one.

All the power connections are in 4 pin and 24 pin are in and the 6 pin for the gfx card. I see both the cpu fan and the gfx card fan spinning and i hear 1 long beep and 3 short ones although sometimes i dont hear any beeps at all now too.

If i leave the gfx card out and turn it on with the memory in i get the long beep and 3 beeps after it so i am thinking thats to do with the gfx card.

Merlin
9th February 2012, 21:12
@ morcar

Question; does your board have slots that support DDR 1333 and DDR 1600? You may be getting this crashing if you are putting DDR 1333 into a DDR 1600 slot and the memory can't handle the overclock.

The Asus boards I have here (Socket AM3 though) have one set of slots for DDR 1333 only and one set for DDR 1600, so it's worth checking.

johnim
9th February 2012, 21:24
his board is similar to mine

4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)*/1600/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

so should work in any slot at 1333 default

ShambleS1980
9th February 2012, 21:39
i used to have a gfx card "ati i think" and it had a jumper on it.
the jumper set it to boot from a vga output or the svideo.

if i wanted to see the bios screen on my tv then i had to set the jumper accordingly.

also i know windows 7 doesent like some of the newer ati gfx cards because it was released before the new ati tech was releasted, you should still see post though, but windows 7 install would black screen on you unless you made an auto install file and had the newer ati drivers extracted on to a usb pen with the auto install file. (insert pen after you select boot from cd. remove pen after 1st restart during install)

morcar
9th February 2012, 21:44
this is the manual if anyone wants to take a gander but i dunno whats going on with it at the moment. like i said tomorrow i am getting dual channel memory so i hope this can solve it

http://www.noklek.com/wiki3/images/2/25/E5073_P7P55-M.pdf

D.B
10th February 2012, 10:12
@ mocar

Your Mobo has a Dual Channel memory architecture. The memory controller is actually on the CPU. As such, you need to fit 2 x identical memory modules. These RAM kits are readily available as Dual Channel kits. You could ask the supplier of the single stick you bought to exchange it for the difference in cost. Trying to force un-matched sticks can be difficult. Get as lower CAS rating as you can afford & go as fast as you can afford. The lower the CAS, the faster the Ram.

Consult your manual for the ram supported. 1600Mhz should do you fine.

Don't also forget, 8GB Kits (2 x 4GB sticks) are only going to be any good for you under a 64Bit OS. Win7 32Bit will only see 4GB @ best & you might be lucky to see 3.5GB on the desktop.

Also, you manual is rather confusing RE the Ram Diagram. Yes you motherboard does have dual Channels but Channel 1 is either both Blue Slots or both Black slots. The way they have described it is wrong for me. Just be sure you have 2 x identical DDR3 Sticks & fit both of them in two slots coloured the same.

morcar
10th February 2012, 12:00
bit of an update here so here goes

got my new memory and i got no beeps but the fans are spinning.

tried the memory in every possible combo and still nothing.

Thinking about throwing the whole lot out at the moment as i am very p*****d off with it.

I knew i should have not listened to the wife and bought that quad mac i saw on ebay. I think it would have been less stress.

Got a friend with his gear to come up and check the motherboard out for me so we will see whats going on then with any luck.

D.B
10th February 2012, 12:07
These boards take a while to get to the post screen. Did you re-set CMOS since fitting the New Ram? See Section 1.9 page 1-21.

Also, which Kingston dual channel ram kit did you buy?

Merlin
10th February 2012, 12:26
OK, deep breaths...

I have Asus boards so I know how these board roll.

You should have one DIMM each in DIMM_A_1 and DIMM_ B_1, i.e. one blue and one black slot if I am correct.

(The slots on my Asus boards are orange and black, but the same premise holds about populating the DIMM slots).

If this isn't working then it's either the CAS Latency that's the issue or the memory you have isn't supported. I had that problem with Mushkin DDR3-1333 in that it would not boot, but then I switched to Corsair DDR3-1666 (used in 1333 mode) and it worked straight away.

D.B
10th February 2012, 12:48
OK, deep breaths...

I have Asus boards so I know how these board roll.

You should have one DIMM each in DIMM_A_1 and DIMM_ B_1, i.e. one blue and one black slot if I am correct.

(The slots on my Asus boards are orange and black, but the same premise holds about populating the DIMM slots).

If this isn't working then it's either the CAS Latency that's the issue or the memory you have isn't supported. I had that problem with Mushkin DDR3-1333 in that it would not boot, but then I switched to Corsair DDR3-1666 (used in 1333 mode) and it worked straight away.

Since when has the Industry changed it's standard?

X58 Skt 1366 boards are tripple Channel. But you populate either all 3 White DIMM sockets or all three blue DIMM Sockets. This is Tripple Channel Ram of which there are two banks of.

mocars board should be the same. IE, Dual Channel Ram of which there are two banks of.

I only say this, as the Industry started employing two colours for the DIMM Sockets to denote Dual Channel boards when they came into the market place many years ago. I would not have thought ASUS would bastardise what has become an industry standard.

morcar
10th February 2012, 13:50
ok i had enough so i ripped everything out of the case and reinstalled everything. I even did the reset on the board and then ... *drum roll*

It worked !!!!!!!!!!!!! :nod:

I cant thank you all enough for all your help :bowdown:

:bowdown:Thank you one an all !!! :bowdown:

Allen1
10th February 2012, 14:10
That's great news M8, I'm pleased you got it sorted. I had thought about the possibility of having an extra brass stand-off possibly catching the underside of the motherboard as its one of those things that I have also seen especially when a motherboard has been swapped in a case.

It looks like you are going to have some great fun over the weekend with this :thumbsup:

D.B
10th February 2012, 14:12
Excellent. :)

Gouldin
10th February 2012, 15:18
Lol, cookie for me I think :p

Now you've got it powered up, I'd recommend a quick trip to the ASUS site asap and get the BIOS updated, shouldn't have any future memory issues then. This is due to new memory modules being released after the board coming out, and asus boads suck at guessing the correct spds without the updated profile lists. (Not slating ASUS btw, thy're my favourite mobo company, used to be Abit though :p )

Witcher1979
10th February 2012, 15:35
AWESOME, really glad you got the issue fixed. PC's do tend to have "gremlins" everynow and then.

Brataccas
10th February 2012, 16:06
Hello mate

Sorry for the late input as I've been away. Glad it's sorted as the board was literally removed from a working machine just before I sent it to you. In my experience two things can cause it, earthing from the board most asus boards I've had have done it unles it was completely fixed with all brass offs, second has been pci-e power issues with the gfx card. Either way glad its sorted and I hope you are happy with the purchase.

Cheers,

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

Lol, cookie for me I think :p

Now you've got it powered up, I'd recommend a quick trip to the ASUS site asap and get the BIOS updated, shouldn't have any future memory issues then. This is due to new memory modules being released after the board coming out, and asus boads suck at guessing the correct spds without the updated profile lists. (Not slating ASUS btw, thy're my favourite mobo company, used to be Abit though :p )

Hi, definitely check the updates but the board was updated about 2-3 months ago as it was running osx and needed the latest revision for a dsdt I used with it :)

Cheers