Review: Tajmaster goes AmigaNG!My first impressions of a SAM

Tajmaster

Truth, Justice, all that stuff.
Country
UK
Region
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Hi All

If you have read the "Post here everytime you get something new" thread today youll know I did a lot of driving yesterday and brought home with me a SAM!

Ive played around with it for a few hours and I thought Id share my first impressions of the SAM and AmigaOS 4.1.

Firstly, the spec:

SAM440 Flex @ 733Mhz
1GB RAM
Radeon 9200 Graphics with 128MB RAM
500GB SATA HDD
DVDRW

All in a shoddy Micro ATX case, with a PSU that gets damn hot so I put in a make-shift 8cm fan :LOL:

Oh, and AmigaOS 4.1 :D Currently its only got Update 2 but I want to play around with it before I update it to Update 4.

My first impressions of the hardware:

Its tiny! LOL! The SAM440 is indeed a very small board, the main CPU has a heatsink on so theres no noisy fans. In this day and age youd expect a PCIe slot but (I think) the SAM is adapted from an embedded system so PCIe is a luxury. Not to worry, there are 3 PCI slots, 2 x 33MHz 1 x 66MHz, which is where my Radeon is plugged in.
Its a bit sparse at the back, just
1 x Audio 3.5mm jack
2 x USB 2.0
1 x Serial RS232
2 x Network jacks (RJ45)

I would have liked more USBs but with these 2 and the 2 off the internal header to the front of the case, thats enough really.
It maxes out at 1GB RAM, which is more than enough for AmigaOS. There are 4 SATA ports on-board for for connecting hard drives and optical drives. Im a fan of properly labelled headers and chips on motherboards, this one doesnt have any of that which is a shame but just a minor gripe really.
The CPU gets warm in use but I can keep my finger on it as its not too hot to touch. I havent worked out how to get into the "BIOS" as the startup screens disappear really quickly! LOL!

My first impressions of Amiga OS4.1 Update 2:

Well well! Im quite impressed! Firstly, to give you an idea of what Ive run Workbench on before Ill list a few Amigas Ive got (or had in the case of the PPC):

A1200T PPC/040/BVision
A1200T 060/Blizzard SCSI/10krpm SCSI HDD
A4000 040/native IDE/CV643d
A2000 030/GVP SCSI/noRTG
A500+ 000/GVP SCSI/noRTG

So I guess thats a pretty rounded experience of what sort of speeds I should expect out of Workbench? For Workbench usage, OS4.1 just leaves them all in dust!
Everything is just so quick and snappy, and I wasnt expecting it to be because of my previous experiences and because people say the SAM is under-powered. It really doesnt feel laggy one bit.
I think it has a very appealing look too, its bright and colourful and the transparency effects are great eye-candy. The default setup also doesnt look as drab and empty as OS3.1 did.

So how does it run?

It runs superbly!! :) It boots very quickly, I think I counted 18 seconds. Its quicker on a warm reset too. Everything is very snappy, the default settings are good for people who are mostly novices in AmigaOS.
There is so much you can configure in the Prefs drawer WITHOUT having to install this hack and that patch. I adapted my title bar to show more information and also the transparency on menus. I also changed the menus to a "magic menu" style which Im used to.
The default dock program at the bottom of the screen has some common programs in there such as Shell, UnArc, Notepad, MultiView. It also has "group" menus such as "internet" & "extras". When you click on these it pops up more programs associated with that particular group.
The all important "internet" group has 2 web browsers (OWB & iBrowse), 2 FTP clients (AmiFTP & pFTP) and 2 email clients (YAM & SimpleMail).
I havent tried anything but the web browsers. iBrowse is quite old now so lots of common sites dont render properly, including our own Amibay :wooha: But its quick and perfect for browsing Aminet and OS4Depot.
OWB is a more modern browser and renders sites a lot better however, it can chug a bit sometimes and I cant see where the user options are in any of the menus. Its a step in the right direction though. I have not yet tried TimberWolf (aka FireFox).

They have got USB mass storage handling just right, plug it in and it pops up on the Workbench! Keeping it simple and easy, nice :) One minor grip, where is the option to "eject" the memory stick?? I dont like just pulling them out with "ejecting" them properly, it hasnt trashed any of my mass storage devices in fairness though.

Oh, its got Copy & Paste functionality! :LOL: Been a long time coming :p

In the "extras" group it has my favourite file manager DiskMaster2! It also has DOpus 4.18, both are great additions and nice to see them installed by default.

I have struggled to run standard 68k Workbench apps :blink: Im not sure why though, Ive only played around with it for a few hours so Ill figure that out soon but its a bit disappointing. I realise this is only Update 2 Im running but thats something that should work from day one. Im sure its a config issue but Ill figure that out when I get to it :)

Another thing that I think needs improving is basic network connections. On PC, Mac or Linux machines you just plug in the network cable and the OS deals with the DHCP etc etc., plug it in and go. On AmigaOS, you plug it in and have to run through a (admittedly easy) wizard. Why??? Just let me plug in the cable and make it work, please :Doh:
One other thing I would like added is some sort of network activity icon in the Workbench title bar. I like to know when Im plugged in or if there is a connectivity issue. A "Volume" icon wouldnt go a miss either.

On the whole I really love this system. Its a proper suped up Workbench without the cost and instability of rickety old (but great!) hardware. Even though I hear lots of folk saying the SAM is under-powered, it doesnt feel like that at all. Ive used a 667Mhz version too and that felt just as quick as this one.
Once I get RunInUAE sorted and the 68k emulation issue fixed I think Ill be sat at this Amiga quite a lot. What Im really looking forward to is playing with the applications all the programmers have put up on OS4depot, something I used to with my Amiga back in the day (via Aminet).
I see on other forums and websites that theres lots of stuff being developed that is turning this platform into a modern computing experience, and I look forward to testing it out on my SAM :)
I said to Chris Handley (the author of RunInUAE) that his program is somewhat of a killer app for the NG Amigas, you get the best of both worlds that way I think :)
Of course you can never replace that wonder of an actual Amiga sat in front of you :p:LOL: But Ive got both :D

Attachments

• DSCF3009.jpg
    DSCF3009.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF3012.jpg
    DSCF3012.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen1.jpg
    Screen1.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen2.jpg
    Screen2.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen3.jpg
    Screen3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Screen4.jpg
    Screen4.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen6.jpg
    Screen6.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Taj this should be in reviews mate :)

i'll get a modern Amiga one day grrr

looks good my friend , i envy you :)

Yes please John :)

@mike

Youre welcome over anytime to check it out mate :)

Awesome stuff mate, welcome aboard!

Update 4 as you know includes RunInUAE, some 68k apps will work native, anything else you can start with UAE, you will be pesented with the option once RunInUAE is installed (y)

I've uploaded in bulk all the Masons Icon packs, you can get them here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15375661/MasonsIcons.zip

I've included the tool 'copy icon' which you can use (drag and drop) to change any icons you like :)

Have fun!

Steve.

Wouldnt mind a quick trip up the M606 to have a look see before i part with my hard earned :)

@Tajmaster

Nice stuff mate (y)

I have also one Sam440ep-Flex just clocked at 800Mhz and some upgrades, you can see here https://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=18063&highlight=sam440ep&page=2

As Steve said, try installing Update 4 the OS runs now more fast & stable :)

Welcome to the NG World :LOL:

Nice setup there dude (y)

Im going to update mine to Update 4 over the weekend :)

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

Awesome stuff mate, welcome aboard!

Update 4 as you know includes RunInUAE, some 68k apps will work native, anything else you can start with UAE, you will be pesented with the option once RunInUAE is installed (y)

I've uploaded in bulk all the Masons Icon packs, you can get them here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15375661/MasonsIcons.zip

I've included the tool 'copy icon' which you can use (drag and drop) to change any icons you like :)

Have fun!

Steve.

Thanks Steve :) Im updating it shortly (y) What are MasonIcons btw?

Thanks Steve :) Im updating it shortly (y) What are MasonIcons btw?

They are the style of Icons used by OS4.1 Update 2 and above, but the ones I have uploaded are extra ones you can use for your custom Games/Apps/drive/Disk icons. etc. Like my USB Stick and Work Icons here:

uA1_1.jpg

Nice! :D Im downloading them now !

While I have you, Ive often seen your screenshots with games such as Quake in a dock style thingy at the bottom of the screen, what is that?

Nice! :D Im downloading them now !

While I have you, Ive often seen your screenshots with games such as Quake in a dock style thingy at the bottom of the screen, what is that?

You just add new dock catergories like in OS3.9 (y)

And then add or drag in the icons you want, if Icons have the default tool type icon you can use 'copy icon' to replace them with an icon of your choice.

I suggest checking out GngeoNG, (Neo geo) Emulator, Beats of Rage, Mame, etc

If you send me a USB stick I can fill it with goodies for you :cool:

Steve.

Errrm, this is rather embarassing :oops: I said in my review I was running Update 2, I wasnt :Doh: I was running Update 1! Im now on Update 4 and things seem even quicker, the 68k stuff seems better too (well, what little Ive tried so far).

Back
Top Bottom