PDA

View Full Version : Getting A2090 to work

SunDown79
14th February 2012, 20:17
Ok, so I have two A2090 cards and both I cant get to work.
Now I might be missing something version obvious so bare with me ;)

I am using an old DEC RZ22 drive and it spins up (its not set to autospinup so it does do something with the card). Have it connected with a standard 50pin cable with three connectors, not using the middle one.

I boot the install disk from the 2.04 workbench set and hdtoolbox does not see the harddisk. Showconfig does show the board (together with the 2620).

So anybody any idea's ?

drwho
14th February 2012, 20:20
Are you powering the drive from the 2091's power connector?

That connector is notorious for not providing proper power levels, best to power the drive from the computer PSU.

SunDown79
14th February 2012, 20:25
Nope, powering it straight from the PSU :)

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

Ow shoot typo, I have a 2090....

drwho
14th February 2012, 20:30
Good :)

So, HDToolbox should see the drive hooked to a 2091 if I am not mistaken, it uses scsi.device I believe.

I will assume that the SCSI cable is connected correctly, etc.

Are you sure that drive is good? Do you have another SCSI device you can plug into the card?

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

OH, it's a 2090, well, that changes everything then.

I don't believe that you can setup a drive (SCSI or MFM) with hdtoolbox on that board.

You need the prep software for the 2090, AND, you may need to tell fastprep or whatever it uses the parameters for that device, since it probably wont know what they are.

You can download the A2090 boot/setup floppies from here:
http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/a2090a

SunDown79
14th February 2012, 20:32
Hmm no, no other drives I'm afraid, I have loads of more modern SCSI drives but nothing 50pins. One other drive I have is certainly not too be trusted so I tossed that out already.

If the logics of the drive are ok should it at least show up in the hdtoolbox ? So the same with adaptec cards showing all found SCSI devices during boot on for example a PC ? Or does it work diferently ?

Also does the harddisk have to be a specific SCSI ID ?

Ow and the card, what SCSI ID does that have ?

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

Aaaah, hmm lets see if I can get the disks to the A2000 :)

drwho
14th February 2012, 20:45
I have one of these cards but have only used it for ST-506 MFM drives.

hdtoolbox knows nothing about this card, though it would show up in showconfig. it sounds like things are working, you just need the right software for it.

I cant find specs for that drive anywhere. Looks like it's 52MB, SCSI/1 and that's about all I can find out.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Found some info, hope this helps.

DEC RZ-22 Winchester SCSI/1

Sectors per track = 33
Tracks per cylinder = 4
Cylinders per disk = 776

SunDown79
14th February 2012, 21:56
Ok I've got the correct software now and its able to scan the board and sees the board at #0 so that seems ok.
It gives unknown errors on address 3 through to 6 though so that isnt good.

Could that be a termination problem ?

Dont have a loose terminator here though and just as most cant find much information about the RZ22, perhaps I can ask a DEC expert I know or just go hunt for a more "normal" scsi drive.

jan601
14th February 2012, 22:10
Ok, so I have two A2090 cards and both I cant get to work.
Now I might be missing something version obvious so bare with me ;)

I am using an old DEC RZ22 drive and it spins up (its not set to autospinup so it does do something with the card). Have it connected with a standard 50pin cable with three connectors, not using the middle one.

I boot the install disk from the 2.04 workbench set and hdtoolbox does not see the harddisk. Showconfig does show the board (together with the 2620).

So anybody any idea's ?

With the A600 you cannot use a harddrive with wb 2.04 you must have 2.05.
Jan

SunDown79
14th February 2012, 22:10
Ah ok, seems the RZ22 doesnt have any termination so I will need to go look for a terminator (perhaps go browse some old boxes at work hehe)

ptp170
14th February 2012, 22:22
LOADS of useful info here!

http://gunkies.org/wiki/A2090

Chris

SunDown79
14th February 2012, 22:43
Good stuff! (seems a copy from some Amigaguide format or what was it called again? its been a long time for me)

Hmm I wonder now if I can use ST506 drives within AmigaDOS too then because I have looooads of those or well, MFM interface anyway).

Both cards I have seem to be the booting versions so thats nice.