PDA

View Full Version : Samsung SyncMaster 920nw - high pitched noise, brief picture

Tajmaster
18th February 2012, 13:24
Hi all

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 920nw 19" widescreen LCD monitor. When I switch it on it makes a high pitched noise (sort of similar to electricity arcing I think) and the picture comes on for about 1 second then goes off.

Any ideas? :blink:

Thanks,
Taj

Tajmaster
18th February 2012, 13:26
BTW, this is a pic of the back of it with the model numbers etc, in case that helps :)

J.T.Kirk
18th February 2012, 13:29
Sounds a power problem to me mate. Better call Samsung on this one (if it's still under warranty or not).

D.B
18th February 2012, 13:30
Fubar springs to mind. :mrgreen:

Soz, I couldnt resist. :p ;)

Tajmaster
18th February 2012, 13:31
Its a second hand monitor Phantom :( not a big problem if its goosed, Id just liked to have had a spare :)

J.T.Kirk
18th February 2012, 13:32
I see. The first thing that came to my mind is about bad-capacitors... :unsure:

D.B
18th February 2012, 13:33
Phantom is in the right ball park for me. Probably the units PSU that's gone pig. it might be worth while doing a parts check.
You do have the model number & serial to hand. Worth a shot if nothing, surely? :thumbsup:

Tajmaster
18th February 2012, 13:41
hmmmm, perhaps the PSU has bad caps then eh? The model and serial are in the pic in my second post :)

Simon_G
18th February 2012, 15:06
Had something similar a year ago with a Samsung monitor, turns out that the older ones seem to be prone to capacitor related issues inside the actual monitor, would bet this is the cause.

Tajmaster
18th February 2012, 16:59
I guess Ill open it up sometime and see if theyve leaked :thumbsup:

bebek
21st February 2012, 19:46
Hi all

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 920nw 19" widescreen LCD monitor. When I switch it on it makes a high pitched noise (sort of similar to electricity arcing I think) and the picture comes on for about 1 second then goes off.

Any ideas? :blink:

Thanks,
Taj

Faulty backlight inverter or lamp in the panel

Harrison
24th February 2012, 01:28
We used to have a 22" Samsung TV that developed this exact same problem. When you switched it on the image would appear for 1 second then go black, but sound would continue.

We took it back to Argos because it had a 3 year warranty, and they said it needed to be sent back to the maker for repair, but the store assistant then dropped it and shattered the screen when he went to pick it up to move it... so he had to issue us a full refund. ;) Which we put towards a better TV. :)

Regarding the fault. Apparently it was a common issue with their 19-22" sets at the time and loads of people were experiencing it. I think it was a faulty backlight driver or something related to that.

ShambleS1980
24th February 2012, 17:07
really probably dead caps on inverter. "im sure some 1 already will have said that.

if you shine a torch on the screen you should still be able to see the screen is actualy displaying. and that its simply the back lights that arent coming on.

lots of these monitors have this issue and the best fix is to just replace every single last cap on them.
You can usualy see 3-4 have buldged. but the way i see it is if your changing some caps for new ones on an inverter do them all. that way your only doing it 1ce.

its usualy because they use el cheap'o caps so decent new caps should last indefinatly.

oh and i forgot to mention.
When your dealing with high voltage systems that have caps on them remember those things can hold a good charge and like to let go of it if you toutch them ... You can trust me i have been zapped by so many xbox Psu's its not even funny any more.

Chinners
24th February 2012, 17:10
You can tell if it's a bad back light by holding a bright torch right up against the panel. If it is only the back light that has gone, you will see a feint image on screen.

bebek
24th February 2012, 18:02
You can tell if it's a bad back light by holding a bright torch right up against the panel. If it is only the back light that has gone, you will see a feint image on screen.
Some systems will switch off unit completely for safety reasons.

Tajmaster
24th February 2012, 18:16
It difinitely goes off rather than dim, its on for around half a second then off. I dunno what Ill do with it as I dont think its worth repairing, I dont even have the stand for it :blink:

Thanks for all your suggestions guys :thumbsup:

mjnurney
24th February 2012, 18:26
Dying caps Taj

I've done a couple in the past, its no big deal. eventually the TV will stop working.

drop me a PM if you want it doing.

mike.

Tajmaster
24th February 2012, 18:39
Thats awesome Mike, thank you!! :bowdown:

ShambleS1980
24th February 2012, 20:08
post it to me for postage costs and il have it lol :P:lol: