Java programming... HELP!

AmiNeo

CodeMonkey
Country
UK
Region
Kendal, Cumbria
Hey guys, I noticed I have some coursework due next week that I simply dont understand enough to finish off. I started it a while back but forgot and lost teh file :LOL:, I've recreated what I had okay but I simply dont know enough to proceed and dont really have the resources to get myself there in time.

Does anyone know the Java language that could help me with understanding enough to finish this program I need to write over the weekend???

I'm almost there but need help with some more basics.

Thanks! (y)

Just of note: I'm not looking for an easy fix to get coursework done, I genuinely want to pick this up.

Nobody knows Java? I just need pointing in teh right direction :unsure:

Nobody knows Java? I just need pointing in teh right direction :unsure:

I could have helped if I had the time. I've got one humongous java project that has to be done by may myself.

irc and google is usually my best friend when learning a new language

Okay I understand. This is literally a fortune cookie app with a bit more information in than average.

What I'm basically trying to achieve is name and date of birth entry, with favourite foods and cars which will come up based on their date of birth, then give them a message in a UI. It's basically an applet voucher generator. I'm not sure how the cars fit in as the course material is extremely fragmented and looks like its been written by an illiterate (typos and everything) and is almost in note form its so bad, lol.

It has to include a try catch statement for error checking and appropriate validation aswell.

If anyone is up for helping me understand teh code a bit better please give me a shout (y)

Edit google and such help to a degree but you cant ask them questions, many of which pages are also outdated :)

Last edited:
is this console or swing?

Our teacher in java had some slides to explain how OOP worked, gave us assignments and said "google is your friend". Which worked surprisingly well given the class consisted of both computer science students and multimedia (an non-engineer class containing mostly of designer-interessted people, so a lot of cute girls).

I can't say I recall swing that well, I just remember that messing with gridview and all that was a freaking pain in the arse. :) Console is pretty simple though and your application sounds like a simple task.

Okay I understand. This is literally a fortune cookie app with a bit more information in than average.

What I'm basically trying to achieve is name and date of birth entry, with favourite foods and cars which will come up based on their date of birth, then give them a message in a UI. It's basically an applet voucher generator. I'm not sure how the cars fit in as the course material is extremely fragmented and looks like its been written by an illiterate (typos and everything) and is almost in note form its so bad, lol.

It has to include a try catch statement for error checking and appropriate validation aswell.

If anyone is up for helping me understand teh code a bit better please give me a shout (y)

Its all mostly suppossed to be swing and AWT.

Trouble is our lecturer is easily distracted and spends most of his (or should that be our) time talking to the less attentive students about football than giving lectures so most of us haven't picked up as much as we probably should have. Although I've tried my best with self study since getting the assignment I'm still lacking in a lot of fundamentals needed.

Its all mostly suppossed to be swing and AWT.

Trouble is our lecturer is easily distracted and spends most of his (or should that be our) time talking to the less attentive students about football than giving lectures so most of us haven't picked up as much as we probably should have. Although I've tried my best with self study since getting the assignment I'm still lacking in a lot of fundamentals needed.

You should have had my c++ teacher, he spent the free time between lectures talking about everything from how to create homebrew for the nintendo ds to the problems of debugging embedded systems. I've never bothered to listen to a lecturer talk to other students prior to that.

Atleast thats somewhat related and thats in free time. Shouldnt be happening during lecture time. Especially not about freaking football :whistle:

@ moijk

Any ideas how to use action listener to place what a user enters into a textbox into a variable? :unsure: Cant quite figure out how it should go in my code. :unsure:

Hi, looks like it's been a loooong weekend! :wink:

Don't use Swing much as I mainly use Java for Android apps but googled and is it something like:

testField.getText()
button.addActionListener(new ActionListener(){
public void actionPerformed(ActionEvent ae){
testField.getText()
}
})

Any help? :unsure:

I is!

But, sadly I've already learned it :LOL:

Last edited:
I used learn JAVA in college years back and I was struggling LOL....

Good things about Java is that you don't have do Memory Allcations(Yep that C++!) as far as I aware and it also have JAVA Swing where you can build own GUI :)

Sounds about right. Although Swing is a bit of a biatch to use when you're just starting out :blink:

If you want another way to make a gui in Java I used SWT (Standard Widget Toolkit) for my big project. There are TONS of examples on google. Eclipse SDK also has a visual editor plugin so you can drag and drop how you want your gui layout like Adobe Dreamweaver for websites.

Aye, sadly theyre looking specifically for SWING. I also prefer to code it in rather than draw little boxes and obliviously not understand what's going on behind the scenes. :LOL:

I'm pleased with my progress overall so far, having had a little help and seen lots of examples I feel I'm starting to get the hang of it all pretty well. (y)

Just thought I'd update this with what was going on at the time...

Due to our tutors neglegence, we kept getting the deadline pushed back.

Due to a li'l help from moijk (thanks again, buddy) who was kind enough to explain and code in a few examples, I managed to get a passable grade on the assignment, even though it wasn't finished, it was more advanced than everyone elses, and my user guide stated the software was still in beta so the admin login was non functional, even though my code still recorded registered logins through the GUI I had created :LOL:

Suffice to say, our tutor was nowhere to be seen upon starting the second year in September. Frankly I don't know if he left voluntarily or was fired even now...

We switched to C# this year and our project which we are yet to start is a game... Once it is handed in and marked I will share it with you guys in some form or other. (y)

For Swing programming use Netbeans. It's should be mandatory ;)

Then, you've figured out abstract actions, and injecting them in the GUI components. From there you should be good.

If you get thread problems in the future, hit us up with your code, and we'll have a look.

Unfortunately I still know Swing coding, I haven't managed to supress it. And in ways, it's similar to Android coding. Only in Android "the highlander pattern" prevails. (aka there can only be one...)

For Swing programming use Netbeans. It's should be mandatory ;)

Then, you've figured out abstract actions, and injecting them in the GUI components. From there you should be good.

If you get thread problems in the future, hit us up with your code, and we'll have a look.

Unfortunately I still know Swing coding, I haven't managed to supress it. And in ways, it's similar to Android coding. Only in Android "the highlander pattern" prevails. (aka there can only be one...)

Lol, highlander... :D

I appreciate this buddy (y). We're doing C# this year but android development is something I want under my belt in the future so I will likely be coming back to java over the summer, once the C# project is done and dusted, which will likely be my final hand in this year.

If you google, you'll find that there are frameworks out there that lets you unleash c# skills on android devices. Just saying. Haven't tested their developer friendlyness or how much overhead you put on the phone when using them. Just saying :) Mono for android? Hmm, can't google it now... too... lazy... :p hehe

No probs, I'll look into it once I'm done with these exams next week and the other projects are over.

Thanks again! (y)

Back
Top Bottom