PDA

View Full Version : Closed Video card for A3000

Hiddenevil
20th February 2012, 00:28
Hi there

On the look out for a decent video board for my A3k, preferrably with a pass through port.

Hiddenevil
22nd February 2012, 08:50
*Bump*

Still looking, if anyone can help

Zetr0
22nd February 2012, 09:46
@Hiddenevil

Hello there, there are many video cards for the Amiga, however some are Video and others are ReTargetable Graphics (RTG) cards

the latter give the amiga a large 1MB or greater chunky display buffer that can output at massive resolutions from as little as 320x200 to 1280x1024 - varying from 8bits (256 colours) to 24bits (16M colours).

Video cards on the otherhand are generally PAL / NTSC display buffers with GEN-LOC abilities - the later is to feed a video source to the screen via a transparent colour - such that you could have your Workbench on top of video stream - I remember doing this back in the day with my A1200 and a GEN-Loc and MTV! - while distracting it was lots of fun..

Real applications are Video-Titling, editing, streaming and added effect with additional cards like video toasters (very clever bits of tech to digitally manipulate an analouge video stream)

So.... what do you want your Video Card to do ?

if its large screen sizes and faster draw times, then I suggest a RTG Card would be what you want -

Picasso II
Picasso II+
Retina BLT Z3
Cybervision 643D
Picasso IV

other video cards will vairy on your region (PAL/NTSC) and requirements

Skyrunner
22nd February 2012, 12:57
Hello, I've a cheap one here (http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=25935) that might suit your needs.

Thanks

Hiddenevil
22nd February 2012, 13:29
Thank you for the info Zetr0, thats very helpful. I'm was basically putting the feelers out to see if anyone had a card going. Perferably i'd like one with a pass through port for using the A3000's built in scan doubler and flicker fixer :)

Thank you Skyrunner for the link, tho as i mentioned above. I'm looking for something with a pass through port :)

James

MZ3540
23rd February 2012, 13:34
I'd be inclined to say the Cybervision 64 (not the 64/3D) is the ideal card for an A3000.
They come with upto 4mb memory, has a built in monitor switch and according to http://members.iinet.net.au/~davem2/overclock/cv3d.html is actually faster than the CV64/3D.
I believe milo has a 2mb CV64/3D for sale here somewhere.

Failing that, I have a spare 2mb Picasso II you can have for AU$80 + postage if you want it.

Being a zorro II card it is always going to be slower than the higher end options but is still far better than native graphics.
The two screen modes I mostly used with this card were 1024x768 @ 256 colours and 800x600 @ 16 bit.
It also has a auto switching pass thru and that is so awesome that I get a massive geek boner everytime I hear the audible click when its doing its thing.

I can get pics and a postage quote if your interested.

Hiddenevil
24th February 2012, 02:42
I certainly am :) so yes please, if you dont object i will also contact this Milo person you recommended. However I do like the sound of the auto sensing switch, which is something i'd like :P

Jakodemus
24th February 2012, 06:29
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=24131&highlight=egs+spectrum

I have EGS 28/24 Spectrum card for sale. It should be faster than Picasso II, eventhough it uses the same graphics chip, because Spectrum uses Z-III and Picasso II uses only Z-II.

MZ3540
24th February 2012, 13:54
I certainly am :) so yes please, if you dont object i will also contact this Milo person you recommended. However I do like the sound of the auto sensing switch, which is something i'd like :P

I made a minor typo... The card milo has is not a 64/3D. It's a CV64, this one has an auto passthru for your scan doubler.
Here it is http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=25673

Hiddenevil
25th February 2012, 19:01
Hey mate, i sent you a PM about the Picasso II

MZ3540
26th February 2012, 06:16
Hey mate, i sent you a PM about the Picasso II

PM replied with details about postage cost.

Also, a crappy photo taken with my phone,

MZ3540
1st March 2012, 12:39
Just to update the thread, a deal was struck, payment received and the parcel was posted this afternoon.

I still can't believe I actually sold something, I usually hoard with the best of em. Computers don't eat anything so there's no pressing need to sell.
Anyway, let us know when the card arrives.

Stuart.

MZ3540
5th April 2012, 14:54
Hiddenevil sent me a pm letting me know that he has installed the card and everything is working.

Feedback has been left by both parties.