Amiga HD drives

RedDaemonFox

Amiga's enemy is my enemy!
AmiBayer
Country
United States of Hell
Region
Melbourne, FL 32901
Ive heard amiga HD drives work different from a PC HD drive, not just in filesystems, but in the way they write. For instance, if you got a catweasel and used your PC HD drive to write a HD image onto a floppy, the contents end in garbage. The same goes for a HD Amiga drive in a PC. So, what's the biggest difference, and do you think it would be possible to modify/hack a PC HD drive, creating millions of cheap amiga drives, that can write to an OFS floppy?

Re: Amiga HD drives

i know that PC HD floppies work in a completely different way to miggy ones, something to do with not being able to run the PC drives slow enough. i'm sure the Gurus on here will be able to explain it better

cheers, JuvUK

OK, I wait a bit to see if someone post first... :whistle:

The Amiga drives normally use the same bit rate when read/write, and for that when in HD mode the rotation speed must be halved to 150rpm.

Some other hardware converters use some additional logic to use a normal 300rpm HD drive (Amtrade A357, Promigos A500/A1000 HD floppy, kylwalda + Catweasel, Power Computing's XL drive, among others...

@Juvvy

you have been hanging around me to long m8y LOL

Zetr0 said:
@Juvvy

you have been hanging around me to long m8y LOL

lol nah, how could i hang around a top bloke like you for too long? surely that's not possible! :grouphug:

Back
Top Bottom