What's a good ATX power supply for an A4000D

SkydivinGirl

Retro Girl
Country
USA
Region
Raleigh, NC
Hey everyone!

I picked up an adapter to use an ATX power supply in my Amiga 4000D but now I'm not sure which power supply I should buy. I would like to get a power supply that I can mount inside the case but it is difficult to tell without actually seeing the power supply before buying it! I know I saw one conversion on A.org but I can't find it any more.

So, for all you Amiga gurus, do you have any suggestions for a power supply? Please keep in mind that it must support American voltages.

Thanks!!!!

Heather

Re: What's a good ATX power supply for an A4000D

I saw over at Amiga.org that someone had taken the casing of a blown A4000 Power Supply and put a mini 300W power supply in it and modded the cables for Amiga use. I don't know if you want the look to stay classic, but this way would not detract from the setup by having an oversized power supply sitting outside the case.

Nathan

That's the one I saw! I can't find the article though. :(

Thanks!

Heather

Have you tried PM'ing the user to see if he has plans? I did that for something on another forum and the gentleman (or woman) sent me a schematic to make something. *It* wouldn't hurt to ask.

Nathan

*edit*

@ Heather

Aminet is your friend for schematics to adapt ATX PSUs for the A4000; look in the hardware section.

Or take a peep here:-

http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/amiga ... plies.html

Other than that, if this hasn't answered your question, Zetr0 will be along presently, and I'm sure he has the answer..... (y)

SkydivinGirl said:
Hey everyone!

I picked up an adapter to use an ATX power supply in my Amiga 4000D but now I'm not sure which power supply I should buy. I would like to get a power supply that I can mount inside the case but it is difficult to tell without actually seeing the power supply before buying it! I know I saw one conversion on A.org but I can't find it any more.

So, for all you Amiga gurus, do you have any suggestions for a power supply? Please keep in mind that it must support American voltages.

Thanks!!!!

Heather
SDG,
I also am doing the same project. Last year I had a contract with IBM to replace old computers with new for the gov't (no I didn't get to keep any) but the "newer" IBM thinkCenters (leveno) Had the small power supply that would be perfect for the A4000. I am trying to source them now. You can pick up used whole units for $140, so the power suppies can't be more than $30.
That just IBM, HP, Dell all have thes small workstations, any of the powersupplies will do.
If you have a used computer store near your place, look there , chances are they have someting that will fit the bill.

Also, the case with a bit of modding would be perfect for an A600 mod :eek:fftopic:

a quick search on ebay - these are all $10- $14 I probably will get them in the next week, so I will let you know what is the smallest size.

@Nathanieltolbert

The problem is that I can't find the article or the name of the person who did that mod. However, I did find a post by our own Keropi on EAB regarding a mod he did to put an ATX power supply in his A4000D.

@Merlin

Thanks for the link! I've bookmarked the page for later review. I purchased the ATX adapter from AmigaKit that comes with the power switch so I'm just trying to find out what power supply will give the best air flow and provide the correct power. I'll keep looking. :)

@QuarkX

I'd love to get any information you have with your project. Thanks!

Heather

I did the very same mod on my A2000 and one A4000 b4.

Pretty straightforward, just sack out the guts of the old PSU and screw the new board on the original PSU box. If you want, keep the old fan for retro-looking.

I use Ian's guide for guidance. Need pics of the A2000 conversion? I'm know it's not the same, but the principles are. BTW: Ian is one of the top blokes I ever meet (digitally only, unfortunately). :bowdown:

@SdG

any good quality 110v 350watt PSU would be fine,

you have various options of installation depending on how much hacking you want todo.

You could just plumb in the psu instead of, true it will give a little more room, perhaps even better airflow, however if you are like me, you wont be asthetically pleased with it. also you will need to modify the power button to a momentary swtich.

however I would suggest a good opportunity for much invalidation of warrenty! :D

rip out the board and place in the a4000 psu cowling, wiring up is quite simple if you follow the docs from steddy's site or theres a few here you can extrapolate that may help

the beauty also of this type of mod is that you can use the original power switch from the old psu to fire up the new one (as you are connecting PWR_ON (green) and any Common (GND Black) easy ;D

you know.... you could be extra flash and get one of those smarty bi-voltage PSU's (has a switch for 110/220v :D) that would be a bit of a show off!!!

if you need any help please dont hessitate to ask.

I am SO glad that we created AmiOracle, it really is the font of all knowledge related to retro hackery....

(y) :bowdown: :bowdown:

Back
Top Bottom