PDA

View Full Version : Recommended OS for PPC 1200 tower?

Mendel
29th February 2012, 17:14
Okay lets see, here will be my system specs for my tower project if and when I get it running:

Infinitiv tower with 200W standard power supply
A1200 motherboard (of course)
Blizzard PPC accelerator with 060/66 and PPC/240 with 128MB memory. (Im going to find out if I can go for 256MB)
Some used mediator, Im still in contact with seller to get the model number and more info...
Voodoo 3
Sound Blaster 128
4GB CF hard drive
4GB CF PCMCIA transfer kit / PCMCIA network card used alternatively as needed.

Im looking to be able to run 3d accelerated games but still have the option to also run some older amiga native games like Napalm and Alien Breed 3d 2 that require 060 for smooth gameplay.I would also like to run emulator software such as warpsnes.
(for some older classics I will have another system / desktop with 030 and os 3.1)

So, first of all, what operating system should I choose? Amigaos 4.1 for classics or something older? Does the Amigaos4.1 break backwards compatibility to such an extent that I should use some kind of dual booting (like different cf cards for different os versions?)

Local merchant is selling amigaos4.1 classic for 132 euros, is this fair price for it?

fitzsteve
29th February 2012, 17:43
I would suggest using Classic Workbench OS3.9 (http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/os39.htm) disable the copper, cyberbugfix and then install the mediator drivers off the MMCD.

This will give you a really nice base to expand on for a great workbench, there are lots of Games/Apps you can install and run on this setup.

Also install WarpDT (http://www.warpdt.co.uk/) as this will speed up all your JPG and the such, great for web browsing for example.

I would install OS4.1 Classic on another partition but don't get too excited, although the OS runs very well and looks very smart most apps are coded for the faster Sam/AmigaOne setups and run too slow. It's more of a proof on concept OS ;)

Here's CWB OS3.9 running on my A4000D with Mediator4000D/Voodoo 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bUKGpQe0Ng&feature=player_profilepage

All the best,

Steve.

J.T.Kirk
29th February 2012, 17:58
Stick with AmigaOS 3.9. As stevo said, AmigaOS 4.1 is just a proof of concept, not much to do really under classic PPC systems.

On the other hand, using AmigaOS 3.9 you'll be full with every software you can imagine. :thumbsup:

If you want to have an 4.1-look, then install AfAOS for 68k. This will enable PNG icons, antialiased fonts and some other nice stuff.

Mendel
29th February 2012, 18:13
Thats great because at 45,50 3.9 will be a lot cheaper too :) I seriously overdamaged my budget by hardware purchases... my amiga project may soon be as expensive as my pc lol :)

So these games at amigakit: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=47
are they compatible with amigaos3.9 then?

rkauer
29th February 2012, 21:55
Airline Tycoon: no. It is MorphOS only.

Arkanoid clone: no (same reason).

All others seems fine.

Skilgannon
29th February 2012, 22:02
Thats great because at 45,50 3.9 will be a lot cheaper too :) I seriously overdamaged my budget by hardware purchases... my amiga project may soon be as expensive as my pc lol :)?

Hehe - MAY?

WILL more like :thumbsup:

In a good way of course :)

John

Hell_Labs
1st March 2012, 04:18
MorphOS/PowerUp could be worth looking into. Started on the PPC Classics, not a backport like 4.x, so it's actually good for stuff.

Stopped development a few years back, but it's newer than 3.9 so I guess it doesn't matter.

Hardware banging stuff will need you to boot 3.x though.

Mendel
24th March 2012, 11:07
Is there no way to install classicwb39 without a pc and an emulator and transferring the hard disk to pc? Id like to try other means if there are any before I unscrew the hard drive and start messing with usb->ide adapters and molexes and all that...

fitzsteve
24th March 2012, 11:09
Is there no way to install classicwb39 without a pc and an emulator and transferring the hard disk to pc? Id like to try other means if there are any before I unscrew the hard drive and start messing with usb->ide adapters and molexes and all that...

Not really, whilst there may be a complicated workaround I doubt it would be practical.

Mendel
24th March 2012, 20:21
Okay... I guess Ill just have to get on with it then.

Mendel
31st March 2012, 09:27
I think Im going to install classicwb39 as primary and Morphos as secondary os for the tower setup, since I am getting the G-rex that is compatible with both... and Ill add some old mac os as a curiosity :)

Need some kind of tutorial link for morphos as I am very confused about how to get started with that.

merlinkv
31st March 2012, 09:48
Best for me 3.9 BB4...... More compatible, stable & reliable. Also you can run more apps & games.

You can try, as Steve saids, the CW 3.9 environment it's a great setup :thumbsup:

In "general" opinion (I think) the OS 4.1 Classic is just to see how this OS can runs but it have incompatibility issues with a lot of hardware :whistle:

For a good 4.1 experience you need a PPC system running from a minimum of 700Mhz -> AmigaOne, Sam440, Sam460, ..... :)