alexh

AmiBayer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Country
England
Region
Oxford
I want to upgrade my (2006) 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo Mac Mini to a faster CPU.

The fastest it will take is a T7600 2.33/667 but i'll consider a T7400 or a T7200.

Perhaps you've got an old laptop with this CPU? I'd take that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I'd like a faster one but if no-one comes up with one then I'll have it.

T7600s come up quite frequently on eBay at the moment. I'm toying with getting one to upgrade my 1.86GHz Core Duo mini to 64-bit.

Nope.

I bought the T7200 from Austinsom for £25.

I wanted a T7600, the fastest CPU you can fit in a Mac Mini (2006), but they are roughly £74 on ebay. 3x the price of this T7200 for less than 1/6 more horse power :(

allright, I'll leave this thread open then so feedback can be left :)

Received. Many thanks.

Feedback to be left after fitting over the weekend.

It is installed and working fine.... BUT

Anyone else considering upgrading a MacMini 1.1 to a Memrom Core2Duo should note that the EFI (BIOS) of this MAC is 32-bit. That means it does not automatically run the Kernel in 64-bit mode by default. Also the motherboard has a serial number which (AFAIK) cannot be changed. This means that LION will not install without being hacked first. Each major MacOS X upgrade from then on will require the hack to be re-applied :(

Shame cos a MacMini 2.1 has the same hardware and will take Lion no problem :(

It is installed and working fine.... BUT

Anyone else considering upgrading a MacMini 1.1 to a Memrom Core2Duo should note that the EFI (BIOS) of this MAC is 32-bit. That means it does not automatically run the Kernel in 64-bit mode by default. Also the motherboard has a serial number which (AFAIK) cannot be changed. This means that LION will not install without being hacked first. Each major MacOS X upgrade from then on will require the hack to be re-applied :(

Shame cos a MacMini 2.1 has the same hardware and will take Lion no problem :(

The question there is "Is it possible to flash MacMini2.1 firmware on to it?" -- I'm aware of these details, which is why I've held off putting a C2D in my 1.1. The other limitation is you still can't put more than 2GB RAM in a 1.1.

You can reflash the EFI to MacMini2.1 but Lion still won't install.

You download the file Archive.zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?lfangrn69rxln3q

You put the two files in / System / Library / CoreServices / Firmware Updates
You check the permissions.

In Terminal, you copy / paste:
Code:
sudo bless-mount /-firmware / System / Library / CoreServices / Firmware \ Updates / EFIUpdaterApp.efi-payload / System / Library / CoreServices / Firmware \ Updates/LOCKED_MM11_0055_08B.fd-options "-x-apple-efi payload0-data" - verbose

Me, I did a sudo su to run it as root, but it may not be necessary.
You turn off the computer.
You press the power button until it flashes.
After the flash, you will have the odd screen described above. Do not worry, you turn it off by pressing the Power button, then you do a PRAM reset.
It changes it from :

Mac mini (Early 2006) Macmini1,1 MM11.0055.B08 (EFI 1.1) 1.3f4 (SMC 1.0)

To

Mac mini (Mid 2007) Macmini2,1 MM11.0055.B08 (EFI 1.1) 1.3f4 (SMC 1.0)

But Lion still won't install. The work around is to remove a file before installation but all MacOS X Combo software updates put it back

Code:
sudo rm / System / Library / CoreServices / PlatformSupport.plist

I got most of my info across the net but it is roughly summarised in this one thread

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,874.0.html

The other limitation is you still can't put more than 2GB RAM in a 1.1.
If you put 2*2GB DIMMs in you can use 3GB. This is (apparently) a chipset limitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom