PDA

View Full Version : Closed WTB: 486 or early pentium PC

Powerpie5000
9th July 2009, 01:53
I am now on the hunt for an old 486 or an early Pentium PC (no more than 100mhz).

I am needing one as my trusty old Olivetti 486 has finally died due to a somewhat "spectacular" PSU blow-out :popcorn:
I have tried looking on the other bay but cannot find anything worth bidding on.... and some are just stupidly over priced :( I am just looking for the base unit and possibly with a keyboard and mouse, it needs to be in reasonable condition and obviously complete and working (not like the tatty junk on evilbay!).

If anyone has what i am looking for then please PM me and post a few pics.... A 486 or early pentium machine, cheers :thumbsup:

Nathanieltolbert
9th July 2009, 04:40
I have an old Pentium, but unfortunately it's 120MHz. If that's close enough let me know. It doesn't have a sound card, but I can scrounge up a PCI video card for it. It doesn't have a hard drive, or working cd rom drive, but I have these lying around and I can put those in it for you if you wish. Just let me know. It does have 16MB of ram.

Nathan

Powerpie5000
9th July 2009, 09:51
I have an old Pentium, but unfortunately it's 120MHz. If that's close enough let me know. It doesn't have a sound card, but I can scrounge up a PCI video card for it. It doesn't have a hard drive, or working cd rom drive, but I have these lying around and I can put those in it for you if you wish. Just let me know. It does have 16MB of ram.

Nathan

Hi there, i really appreciate the offer but i think the postage costs may hurt my wallet :? I see you live in the States and usually anything over 2kg will cost a fair bit in postage, thanks anyway :thumbsup:

keropi
9th July 2009, 09:54
I have some spare parts that I will let go for postage , see anything u want?
see here: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=21920

Powerpie5000
9th July 2009, 10:47
Thanks Keropi but i am after a complete base unit, You do have a good socket 7 board there but finding an old AT-style case to house it will be a pain :(

I appreciate the offer :thanks:

woodycool
9th July 2009, 13:34
I have quite a few 486 PCs, all of which are less than 100MHz
Don't want a lot for one, but I require that you pick one up ... no postage.

Let me know if you're interested

TheCorfiot
9th July 2009, 14:04
@woodycool

Sorry to be off topic but would any of these old 486 PC's carry 30Pin 4MB SIMMS, I'm having difficulty finding some.

@PowerPie
Apologies for hijacking the thread, good luck with your quest..... I have a 486DX4 (100MHz) CPU if you need it...

Cheers

TC :)

woodycool
9th July 2009, 16:41
@woodycool
Sorry to be off topic but would any of these old 486 PC's carry 30Pin 4MB SIMMS, I'm having difficulty finding some.

Well, one of the 486s has 30pin SIMMS, but it has 4x 2MB SIMMS. Removing those would leave it memory-less as I have no other 30pin SIMMS.

Powerpie5000
9th July 2009, 17:50
@Woodycool

Thanks for the offer but i live in Blackpool and it would take me over 3 hours just to get to Northhampton :( then theres the journey back again! And i guess you wouldn't re-consider posting? I have shipped base units using DHL through parcel2go.com and they are very reliable and cheap! All you need is a big box and lots of padding (bubble wrap, shredded paper etc...).

Cheers for the offer :thumbsup:

woodycool
9th July 2009, 17:54
@Woodycool

Thanks for the offer but i live in Blackpool and it would take me over 3 hours just to get to Northhampton :( then theres the journey back again! And i guess you wouldn't re-consider posting? I have shipped base units using DHL through parcel2go.com and they are very reliable and cheap! All you need is a big box and lots of padding (bubble wrap, shredded paper etc...).

Cheers for the offer :thumbsup:
Blackpool, huh?

Well, I have friends in Blackpool (I used to live in Blackpool a few years back) and I regularly visit them.
I could always drop it off to you? How does that sound?

Nathanieltolbert
9th July 2009, 19:50
@TheCorfiot -

Well, I have a few 30 pin memory chips but they are all being used in my 486SX 25. But! There is a place here in town that has tons of old memory that they sell for fairly cheap. You want me to take a look for you sometime?

Nathan

TheCorfiot
9th July 2009, 23:10
:hijacked:

@Nathan

If you have the time yes please my friend,,,,, :woot:

I need 2x 30Pin 4MB SIMMS with 60/70 nS timing....(for my GVP HD+8)

Thank you very much indeedy kind sir...

TC :bowdown:

Apologies again for hijacking this thread Powerpie5000, I really am sorry :whistle:

Powerpie5000
9th July 2009, 23:19
@Woodycool

That would be great! :thanks: How much do you want for it and can you give me an idea on the specs? and maybe post a couple of pics (everybody likes hardware pr0n :laugh: )

woodycool
10th July 2009, 08:00
My camera is completly knackered ..... but I'll see if I can get pics.
I'm on holiday next week though, so won't be able to sort anything out for about a week or so at the earliest.

The spec of it is: Tulip branded PC, 486 DX2 @ 66Mhz (iirc), 8MB RAM, 210MB HDD, external CD-ROM, DOS 6.0/Windows 3.11, Soundblaster 16 (with CD-ROM connectors), matching Tulip branded keyboard and mouse.

How does that sound?

Powerpie5000
10th July 2009, 11:17
I'm on holiday next week though, so won't be able to sort anything out for about a week or so at the earliest.

The spec of it is: Tulip branded PC, 486 DX2 @ 66Mhz (iirc), 8MB RAM, 210MB HDD, external CD-ROM, DOS 6.0/Windows 3.11, Soundblaster 16 (with CD-ROM connectors), matching Tulip branded keyboard and mouse.

How does that sound?

That sounds perfect! I will probably change the hard drive and add another 8mb RAM.... will an internal CD-ROM fit in this machine? What is the condition? I don't mind waiting 8)

woodycool
10th July 2009, 11:39
That sounds perfect! I will probably change the hard drive and add another 8mb RAM.... will an internal CD-ROM fit in this machine? What is the condition? I don't mind waiting 8)
The machine is quite small, a CD-ROM drive would not fit internally, unless you do some serious modifications to the case.
If you want it hard drive less, I can remove the HDD for you.

Powerpie5000
10th July 2009, 13:14
What is the model as i want to find some pics and details... and is it in good condition?

The only problem is i'm not sure if an external CD-ROM drive will support CD-audio as there is usually a cable coming from the sound card to the internal CD drive :? CD-audio is a must have with some of the older games :nod:

woodycool
10th July 2009, 13:51
What is the model as i want to find some pics and details... and is it in good condition?
It's a Tulip, but not sure of model number

The only problem is i'm not sure if an external CD-ROM drive will support CD-audio as there is usually a cable coming from the sound card to the internal CD drive :? CD-audio is a must have with some of the older games :nod:
There's an audio-out connection on the external CD drive, this connects to the audio input on either the sound card, or CD-ROM card (doesn't matter which, as there's an internal cable going from the CD-ROM card to the sound card's CD input)

Powerpie5000
10th July 2009, 21:22
That sounds great! so it should be ok for the old games that have CD audio :D I am definitely interested :nod: How much do you want for it? and can you please tell me the cosmetic condition, cheers :thumbsup:

woodycool
10th July 2009, 22:25
That sounds great! so it should be ok for the old games that have CD audio :D I am definitely interested :nod: How much do you want for it? and can you please tell me the cosmetic condition, cheers :thumbsup:
Not sure on price yet .... I'll let you know, won't be much though
Cosmetic condition is OK .... may need a bit of a clean (especially the keyboard)

Powerpie5000
11th July 2009, 02:32
Thats no problem at all.... I'm used to cleaning old miggies and st's that have been stored in people's loft's or garage for years :laugh: It should be fine if all it needs is a clean. I have come across some pretty banged up systems recently that include corrosion and broken bits etc... :sigh:

let me know when you have figured out a price and when you will be next in Blackpool, cheers

Nathanieltolbert
11th July 2009, 07:26
Sorry it would cost so much to send my P-120. I was just hoping to clear it out of the closet, as it doesn't get used. If you change your mind, please let me know, and I will see the cheapest I can ship it with insurance.

Nathan

Powerpie5000
17th July 2009, 22:17
Sorry it would cost so much to send my P-120. I was just hoping to clear it out of the closet, as it doesn't get used. If you change your mind, please let me know, and I will see the cheapest I can ship it with insurance.

Nathan

I really appreciate the offer! Not only will the postage be expensive but British customs have a habit of randomly slapping stupid "duty" charges on some packages :blink:

Thanks anyway, Dan

Powerpie5000
26th August 2009, 16:11

How does that sound?

Is this still available?

woodycool
26th August 2009, 17:44
Apologies, it is still available
I completely forgot as I've had a lot of stuff on my mind at the mo (see my thread in the AmiRant section :roll: )
So, yeah, it's still available, but I'm not sure if & when I can next get up to the Blackpool area.

Powerpie5000
26th August 2009, 19:16
It's ok i'm not in any hurry.... i forgot about this thread until today :laugh: I saw your AmiRant thread and i too was the unfortunate owner of a Fujitsu Amilo laptop :sigh:

woodycool
26th August 2009, 20:11
It's ok i'm not in any hurry.... i forgot about this thread until today :laugh: I saw your AmiRant thread and i too was the unfortunate owner of a Fujitsu Amilo laptop :sigh:
I'm not talking about that AmiRant thread, although that is annoying.
When I say I've had a lot on, I'm referring to this thread (http://www.amibay.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=3029) :wink:

Powerpie5000
26th August 2009, 22:10
I'm not talking about that AmiRant thread, although that is annoying.
When I say I've had a lot on, I'm referring to this thread (http://www.amibay.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=3029) :wink:

Ouch! i did not see that one :? i hope everything works out.... your employers sound a bit :nuts: !!! I once left a job because management was very unfair and not in anyway professional towards staff... i handed in my resignation and then about a month later i received a letter from them saying i was "dismissed under gross misconduct" :wooha: Unfortunately there are some corrupt :censored: out there who think they are above the law! Anyway hope you get back on your feet soon :nod:

Anyway to get back on topic... there is no rush for the system :thumbsup: