Retired Slacker
AmiBayer
Blogger
Country
UK
Region
Sevenoaks
*Sorry for the crap pics, Mrs Fitz broke the Camera and I'm using my phone*

Anyway! I picked up a GREX PCI 1200 a while back, not had a chance to test it until now as I didn't want to strip down my A1200T (Mediator 1200 project)

However I saw a cheap barebones tower on eBay, ok it wasn't really that cheap but it was ready to go with Rev2B Motherboard, Keyboard connector, PSU & of course the case...

I already have a Rev2 BPPC which is the best one for the GREX so I flashed the GREX Firmware and assembled everything in the Tower :)

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

For some reason the case switch does not fire up the GREX so I've used a PSU that comes on when you flick the main switch and everything seems to work fine :D

IMAG0277.jpg

Just to check the Voodoo is working I've installed CGX V3 over a basic Classic Workbench, as you can see, working great :cool:

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0285.jpg

Some of you may remember I tried before to get a GREX running and had no luck so I'm really pleased, next up will be to take CWB OS3.9 and pimp it out with CGX4 :ninja:

jesus christ steve,your not helping me with my insomnia with all these projects you keep working on!!!

well at least i'll have something to look at late at night

jesus christ steve,your not helping me with my insomnia with all these projects you keep working on!!!

ha ha, sorry about that - It's like an Amiga Hardware Museum in my house :LOL:

ha ha, sorry about that - It's like an Amiga Hardware Museum in my house :LOL:

im only joking steve(not about the insomnia though),show us more pron.

i really enjoy these builds.

Will do! I have to add Sound/Network Cards and setup a decent Workbench, this should be much faster than the Mediator too :ninja:

Not sure anyone had hooked up a 330mhz BPPC to a GREX before and I know the PPC speed on the GREX is supposed to be good.

Need to get CGX4, Warp3D and WarpOS all installed and see how good the games run :cool:

Will do! I have to add Sound/Network Cards and setup a decent Workbench, this should be much faster than the Mediator too :ninja:

Not sure anyone had hooked up a 330mhz BPPC to a GREX before and I know the PPC speed on the GREX is supposed to be good.

Need to get CGX4, Warp3D and WarpOS all installed and see how good the games run :cool:

cant wait,im curius as to what sound cards run on these,yes ive heard that these busbaords have a better throughput.

i havent seen one of these for years,i was just looking at a thread where someone had a Z4 busbaord havent seen one of those for over 10 years since i gave away all my amiga gear.

Some of you may remember I tried before to get a GREX running and had no luck so I'm really pleased, next up will be to take CWB OS3.9 and pimp it out with CGX4 :ninja:

Oh great, I am glad you finally got it working after all this time. I told you it was difficult to get it working, but not impossible... Well done (y)

AT LAST!!! :D

Fun times ahead lol.
Gz bro!

Btw, take a better camera for shooting da pr0n. Airey type pics in your threads don't suit ROFL.

Thanks guys, indeed the phone camera is pretty lame :whistle:

GREX supports ESS Solo 1 and FM801 based sound cards of which I have both (y) Network is Realtek 8039AS, and what's strange is except for the FM801 that's the same as OS4.1 Classic so maybe one day we can see an OS4.x Classic that supports GREX :bowdown:

Steve.

Very nice job Steve! :)
Congratulations!
I personally think that G-REX is more advanced than Mediator (have one G-REX installed and two Mediators boxed and thinking to sell at least one soon).
Based on my speed comparison G-REX vs. Mediator in A4000 G-REX is about 50% faster in VooDoo 3 3000 VRAM access speed than Mediator.

Of course G-REX is limited to few turbo boards only; most expensive ones... :-(

Congratulations!
I personally think that G-REX is more advanced than Mediator (have one G-REX installed and two Mediators boxed and thinking to sell at least one soon).
Based on my speed comparison G-REX vs. Mediator in A4000 G-REX is about 50% faster in VooDoo 3 3000 VRAM access speed than Mediator.

Thanks Stan, also this is your old BPPC driving the GREX :cool:

I can't wait to get some Quake II benchmarks, going by this site I should get some great results with 330mhz PPC:

http://www.amigaspeed.de.vu/ :ninja:

Thanks Stan, also this is your old BPPC driving the GREX :cool:
I'm glad to hear that. :)
Have good fun with your G-REX setup.
Of course you are limited to AOS3.9 and MOS1.4 (due to several reasons I don't expect G-REX support in AOS4.x), but hey; AOS3.9 is nice system too with a lot of applications.
And according to few friends of mine you will be surprised that 3D games/demos runs faster under MOS1.4 than AOS3.9. :)

Last edited:
beautiful Steve(y)

i am pleased you got this going:nod:

i do like to see this stuff up and running so thanks for the post buddy:)

beautiful Steve(y)

i am pleased you got this going:nod:

i do like to see this stuff up and running so thanks for the post buddy:)

Nice job Steve (y).

Question : are G-REX still manufactured ?

Thanks guys (y)

I'll update later if I have some time to get some games running later :ninja:

@Rakeim132, nope no more GREX...

yay more quake vids to look foward to :)

nice one, keep the amiga power running

Congratulations!

i think the problem with the mediator is the fact it uses mach chips to interface with the motherboard and any card you have plugged into it.
that part i really dont like,this stems from having apollos,and fast ata's,that i still have(not bad cards in themselves but prone to problems as you know)

and another problem is that some of the drivers are a bit.........hackish? maybe,in operation.on the mediator

but,on the other hand the mediator supports more cards(not really a problem most peaple are only going to use about 2-3 anyway).and the grex's only downside(if it can be called a downside)is it can only be used with a ppc based card of which theres only one.which you have pointed out already.
but then again the only real way to get any speed increase would be to connect it through the accelorator first then the motherboard,where as as you know the mediator does it the other way around with a passthrough.

the thing that surprises me with the grex is it wasent around very long but i suppose this was because it lended itself to only one way to use it,but was a faster interface,and the mediator has been around longer but hasent really had any updates as regards revisions of the busbaord itself its basicly the the same board it was when it was disigned(although the adverts say otherwise, same for the fast ata)

A small update (sorry CF no Quake Vid yet) ;)

I managed to get an early version of mfilos' custom OS3.9 running with the GREX which works really well, I think I need to re-install Warp3D as my games don't run but I'm making progress (y)

IMAG0287.jpg

IMAG0288.jpg

Apologies for the rubbish pics, need to get a decent Camera pronto :coffee:

Aha! Nice one El'Stevo.
I can send you my A4000D Grex setup to give it a spin as well (although I think you're fine with the current) :)

Back
Top Bottom