PDA

View Full Version : Offered Modding and repair services

Bad_Ad84
13th March 2012, 15:30
Edited 15/06/2012 - removed Free offer as all work had been completed. Now edited post to be a general repair/modding thread

I am offering repair/modding services.

I can do most jobs - so please PM me if you want something doing.

References from other sites:

Assemblergames (http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?33734-Bad_Ad84)
eBay (http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=slackr84&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller)

If more are required, I can link to specific posts on Wiihacks - but there is no central thread like assemblergames or here on amibay.

I have a high end universal programmer (I used to offer Wii brick repairs on Wiihacks, which involved removing and reprogramming a 48 pin tsop) and the usual hot air rework station + soldering station.

Witcher1979
13th March 2012, 15:45
Hi m8

Very kind offer indeed. I wonder if you can fix the ylod on ps3's? Someone has one for sale on here that is broken and this repair if you can do it would get someone a nice cheap PS3.

Cheers

Bad_Ad84
13th March 2012, 16:00
Technically yes, but...

This is excluded from my free offer (see the last part - "I have a BGA rework station, but is excluded from this offer").

Also, while I have a BGA rework station and have done BGA repairs... I do not have the jigs for PS3's (which I would need to buy at around 40 each for the different shape boards) and I have not done any PS3's to date and I wouldn't want someone elses to be my first.

BGA repair work is much more complex than normal soldering work, there is the possibility of "pop corning" the chip, making is useless. There is also a chance of warping the motherboard.

So because of that, I would have to say no.

Sorry!

Witcher1979
13th March 2012, 16:04
ah I see, no worries. It wasn't for me, someone has one for sale on here and I figured this would get someone a nice cheap PS3 :)

-Acid-
13th March 2012, 17:23
how about installing a mod chip into a fat ps2 and a ps1 for me? (would pay if required too)

Bad_Ad84
13th March 2012, 17:33
PS2 is no problem. PM me with info (model, chip, etc)

robinsonb5
13th March 2012, 19:05
Wow - that's certainly generous! I have an A1200 (Rev. 1B) that could do with recapping if you're up for that?

slk486
13th March 2012, 19:18
Ooh, i have a 4000 mobo that also needs recapping as well as new ram sockets, if you're up for that:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad_Ad84
13th March 2012, 19:45
A1200 - no problem, I have the parts to power the board and test it.

A4000 - no problem on the work, but if you send just the board I am unable to test it. It's simple enough soldering job though, so don't see much of a problem. Just be aware that i can't test it and if there are any remaining issues once you get it back, you may need to ship it to me once again. Long as you understand that - no problem.

I am also happy for people to wait for feedback from the PS2 before sending their A1200 or 4000. I am well aware trust is earned and do not take any offence if people don't want to send stuff to a stranger with no feedback here.

scrappysphinx
13th March 2012, 19:45
I'll ask a question, any good at de-soldering memory chips from an original xbox motherboard and transplanting them onto another motherboard thereby upgrading it to 128mb? Or would that require the rework station?

I'd supply both the working and dead motherboard, bad 1.6 but memory is good for parts.

I'm looking to get my main machine upgraded for emulation.

Thanks

Mike

Bad_Ad84
13th March 2012, 19:46
Xbox ram is no problem.

RED IMPACT
13th March 2012, 20:53
I recently enquired via pm about a Super Famicom mod to which you replied about a region free 50/60hz switchless mode? Would that fall under this service?

I would also be interested in a blue power led too if you could do that?

If some would be required then let me know how much...

Let me know either way! :thumbsup:

Bad_Ad84
13th March 2012, 21:07
No problem on snes work. Only costs would be postage and cost of parts.

Be aware I am not a fan of plastic/case modding if it's not going to
look as good as original. I would not modify your cart slot for USA
style games. You could do that yourself or just play jap/pal. This is
because USA carts are larger and the hole would end up bigger than the
dust flap - looking less than perfect in my eyes.

Regarding the blue led... Not really possible, as with the Switchless
mod the led is replaced with a dual colour led. This lets you know
which mod the console is in... Unless you can find a led with
blue/another colour you like.

Also...

Assuming everyone who has asked wants to go through with it, we have
our 5. I see one person is from Denmark, so it's possible shipping
costs maybe too high. So if others want to post with interest, I will
fall back to them if anyone drops out.

RED IMPACT
13th March 2012, 21:34
No problem on snes work. Only costs would be postage and cost of parts.

Be aware I am not a fan of plastic/case modding if it's not going to
look as good as original. I would not modify your cart slot for USA
style games. You could do that yourself or just play jap/pal. This is
because USA carts are larger and the hole would end up bigger than the
dust flap - looking less than perfect in my eyes.

Regarding the blue led... Not really possible, as with the Switchless
mod the led is replaced with a dual colour led. This lets you know
which mod the console is in... Unless you can find a led with
blue/another colour you like.

Sending pm (again) lol

scrappysphinx
13th March 2012, 23:42
Sending pm regarding the xbox ram upgrade

-Acid-
14th March 2012, 00:01
pm sent about the ps2 work :thumbsup:

slk486
14th March 2012, 01:33
Sending pm reg. A4k cap and socket replacement:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robinsonb5
14th March 2012, 01:52
PM sent regarding A1200.

-Acid-
15th March 2012, 21:55
ps2 mailed out today

Bad_Ad84
16th March 2012, 10:27
Here are some install pics I have knocking around - so you can get an idea of quality.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28488139/5552.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28488139/IMG_0077.JPG

(that whole chip was replaced, not just the wire)

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/9018/photocwq.jpg

cawley1
17th March 2012, 23:02
Guys,
I can vouch for Bad_Ad84, he has put mod chips inside a PSone and slim PS2, plus a universal Saturn BIOS and also did a JTAG on my 360!

His work is top notch, very reasonable prices and he keeps you in the loop with updates and pictures as the work is done.

Trust me, you won't go wrong!

caver99
18th March 2012, 00:56
can you fix a 1541-ii logic board?

Bad_Ad84
18th March 2012, 11:11
Do you know the fault?

If you know the issue and its just a soldering/part replacement job - then no problem.

If you do not know the problem and require me to fault find - I have no experience with that device at all.

caver99
18th March 2012, 11:30
ok all i know is that the 2 leds stay on and drive spins constantly

Bad_Ad84
18th March 2012, 14:15
Could be one of the roms from some googling. I could take a look at it, I can read the roms and compare crc and burn replacements if required.

No fee if I can't get it working. Price would depend on what (if anything) needs replacing.

Free offer is used up however - so it would be chargeable

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 ----------

PS2 is done.

http://i.imgur.com/Lx7ik.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9D0Up.jpg

Being shipped back tomorrow (assuming postage is paid today).

sb1987
19th March 2012, 22:44
i have a ps2 fat and modbo 750 how much would u charger me to fit it ? and postage bk to me ? many thanks shaun :thumbsup:

edit the pic up ^^^^ some nice tidy soliderin there what people have told me the ponits where u solider wires to board are so small

ratfink
20th March 2012, 08:46
How about virtual boy repair? I don't know what the cause of the problem is with mine [it seems completely dead] but it seems likely to be the ribbon cables inside the unit, some instructions/advice on how to fix it are here to give you an idea of what could be involved:

http://www.projectvb.com/displayfix.html

slk486
20th March 2012, 10:27
PS2 is done.

I'm going to wrestle with a ps2 and a modbo 760 in a couple of days, so wish me luck... I'm gonna need it! :D

TheCorfiot
20th March 2012, 11:16
PS2 is done.

I'm going to wrestle with a ps2 and a modbo 760 in a couple of days, so wish me luck... I'm gonna need it! :D

Easy Peasy, my friend :lol:
Especially if you have a Rev 5-6 board as the one pictured above.
Got my install time down to just over an hour and a half now....
Modbo760 has to be one of my favourite chips, does what it says on the tin with no frills or fuss and supports Dev1 /2 Booting...

Good Luck, just take your time if it's your first attempt..

TC :cool:

slk486
20th March 2012, 11:20
Modbo760 has to be one of my favourite chips, does what it says on the tin with no frills or fuss and supports Dev1 /2 Booting...

It is indeed my first time with anything this complicated, so I bought a cheap PS2 to try on, just in case i botch it the first time around. Thanks, now over to original subject :cool:

TheCorfiot
20th March 2012, 11:27

It is indeed my first time with anything this complicated, so I bought a cheap PS2 to try on, just in case i botch it the first time around. Thanks :cool:

You wont botch it if you take your time, if you feel you need a break then take one.

Start by fixing the modbo down using the supplied double sided tape, then I recomend you start by connecting up the wires that connect directly to the Bios Chip [2,4,6,8] & the pads opposite.

You can take the ground from the ground plane running at the bottom.
Use double AWG30 wires for the 3.3V & GND connections.

The connections that go to the other side of the board are best fed through the small hole through the board near the chip itself & then looped to allow some strain releif, this will keep the wires nice & short too which is recomended.

Best tip though....... identify the pad you need to solder too, then very, & i mean very gently scrape the surface of the pad with a fine stanly blade to gently prepare the pad surface, you will find that the solder will run easier & not be tempted to flow to adjacent pads so easily....

Most importantly though & I cant stress this, don't rush it, take as many breaks as you need, and if it takes 6 hours or more to complete then so what. You will have successfully installed your chip & should give yourself a huge pat on the back....

Good luck & don't forget the photos...

TC :thumbsup:

Bad_Ad84
20th March 2012, 11:56
I think I am down to about 20 minutes now =/

Not all the consoles are easy however - some require soldering directly to legs of a QFP chip, which can be quite fiddly.

Also, the most common issue I see - be careful not to take off the small SMD resistors/caps, as you have to solder to one side of them. Its quite easy to over heat and desolder the part completely.

TheCorfiot
20th March 2012, 12:57

Not all the consoles are easy however - some require soldering directly to legs of a QFP chip, which can be quite fiddly.

Also, the most common issue I see - be careful not to take off the small SMD resistors/caps, as you have to solder to one side of them. Its quite easy to over heat and desolder the part completely.

No I agree with you, If a see no firewire port on the front (ie Rev9) I cringe, but there are alternative vias you can solder to and it saves a lot of swearing :lol:

My OCD monkey insists my wiring is a work of art so I aint going to cut down on my install time :p

Good Fun though :thumbsup:

slk486
20th March 2012, 12:59
Got my new soldering tip today after 4 months! So I can finally get cracking. Sorry for steering the topic a bit off, but really appreciate your input guys and I will follow TheCorfiot's mini guide to the letter :thumbsup:

TheCorfiot
20th March 2012, 13:04
Got my new solder point today after 4 months! So I can finally get cracking. Sorry for steering the topic a bit off, but really appreciate your input guys and I will follow TheCorfiot's mini guide to the letter :thumbsup:

It's not really off topic, offering a service is fine, I mean I do & people send me all sorts my way.
But the community ethos of Amibay is 'Support' and we should encourage and help even guide anyone who wants to have a go as best we can.
If things don't work out, fine, then the member knows there are friends on here who can put it right for him...

But go for it my friend, just breath easy & have loads of coffee on tap.. Use a magnifying glass to check every connection as it is made to ensure it is good with no shorts... give the wire a gentle tug to ensure a reliable joint and do not attempt it with any wire larger than awg30....

You will feel great when you see the Modbo Logo on boot up...

Best of Luck
TC :thumbsup:

Bad_Ad84
20th March 2012, 13:06

No I agree with you, If a see no firewire port on the front (ie Rev9) I cringe, but there are alternative vias you can solder to and it saves a lot of swearing :lol:

My OCD monkey insists my wiring is a work of art so I aint going to cut down on my install time :p

Good Fun though :thumbsup:

The late PS2 slims have no via alternatives - just tiny traces.

Also, the pictures above is my install with the 20 minutes or so to complete (not including time for clear varnish to dry).

slk486
20th March 2012, 13:42
The late PS2 slims have no via alternatives - just tiny traces.

Also, the pictures above is my install with the 20 minutes or so to complete (not including time for clear varnish to dry).

That's fast! You varnish the solder points?

Bad_Ad84
20th March 2012, 14:13
Just the longer wires, stops them moving around in shipping and keeps it looking tidy.

You can see the shiny of the varnish in one of the pics

Gouldin
20th March 2012, 14:34
Don't suppose you'd fancy doing a nice side project such as this one? http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=26495

I'd be happy to pay obviuosly, just wondering atm :)

Bad_Ad84
20th March 2012, 14:42
I actually have a bga station.....

But, BGA rework can be quite difficult and its possible I could damage the motherboard - and its not something I could replace easily if it all went wrong. (if I break something during repairs/modding, I would replace it - which has only ever happened once in 15+ years).

Gouldin
20th March 2012, 14:44
Well it's an old little laptop, mobile pc thingy anyway so wouldn't exactly be disheartened if it didn't survive the hackery :)

Just curious if you'd be willing to have such an attempt.

Bad_Ad84
20th March 2012, 14:46
If you accept that something could possibly go wrong and I wouldn't be in a position to replace/repair it (but wouldn't charge you for the attempt) then yes.

Gouldin
20th March 2012, 14:54
Cool, I accept those terms :thumbsup:

I'll send a pm about it when I've managed to actually track down one of the little cpu's :lol:

Uncle_Meat
20th March 2012, 16:51
*nudge* Whilst you're here, would you be prepared to have a go at replacing the Fat Agnus socket on an A2000 mainboard?

Just got mine back to life, usual battery corrosion type stuff. I've got a turned pin socket sat in the CPU socket in that which appears to work for now, same for the ROM socket. Good enough for testing...

But, also the pins in the Agnus socket are rather tarnished.. Sit the IC in a certain way most of the way down, it's OK. Sit it in completely, and it flakes out.

I don't mind having a go at the CPU and ROM socket myself (although if you can do Agnus you might as well do the others if you don't mind) , but I fear I'll knacker things up attempting to desolder the Agnus socket, and I don't want to consign an A2000 mainboard to the scrapheap!

Cheers!

Bad_Ad84
20th March 2012, 17:07
Please pm some pictures. Should be fine on all counts though!

Uncle_Meat
20th March 2012, 17:37
Ta for that! PMed some pics of the destruction. :)

TheCorfiot
20th March 2012, 17:56
*nudge* Whilst you're here, would you be prepared to have a go at replacing the Fat Agnus socket on an A2000 mainboard?

Just got mine back to life, usual battery corrosion type stuff. I've got a turned pin socket sat in the CPU socket in that which appears to work for now, same for the ROM socket. Good enough for testing...

But, also the pins in the Agnus socket are rather tarnished.. Sit the IC in a certain way most of the way down, it's OK. Sit it in completely, and it flakes out.

I don't mind having a go at the CPU and ROM socket myself (although if you can do Agnus you might as well do the others if you don't mind) , but I fear I'll knacker things up attempting to desolder the Agnus socket, and I don't want to consign an A2000 mainboard to the scrapheap!

Cheers!

Hey Uncle Meat.

You are based just up the road from me, if you fancy a drive over to my place with the old girl we can replace the sockets together and hopefully you will also pick up a few handy tips to tackle your own repairs in future my friend.
If you bring the sockets needed along then its all free just petrol ;)

Mainly cos you are Zappa fan too :lol:

Bad_Ad84
20th March 2012, 18:07
Well, can't beat the competition in my own thread, so....

TheCorfiot
20th March 2012, 18:19
Well, can't beat the competition in my own thread, so....

Uhm Competition ??

This is a community based Website, we are here to help our members and each other not treat it as an outlet for enterprise.

Uncle Meat is a local member from my community in Wales, do you object to me holding out a hand to make new friends and offer to help people within our community as a whole to improve their skillset and support each other.
We take pride in maintaining our retro collection and being able to carry out own repairs further extends the enjoyment and acheivement.

That is the whole point of our existence not to generate profit for the minority few.
If you are unhappy with the site and this ethos then maybe you would be better investing in your own site and create the business competition it seems you so desire.

I'm not amused by your attitude tbh, "Your Thread", why how much did you pay for it?

TC :coffee:

Bad_Ad84
20th March 2012, 18:25
You have strict rules on triumphing in threads, yet when it comes to services, it's ok to do the opposite?

I understand your sentiment, but if I go around in everyone else's thread offering everything cheaper - I get the feeling that wouldn't be allowed. The point of this sub forum was for members to offer services - which is exactly what I'm doing...

I am just trying to make sure I completely understand the rules and that there is no problem with me going into other people's threads and offer things cheaper (or free)?

Thanks for the impending clarification

Bad_Ad84
20th March 2012, 18:27
Oh also, it would have only been 10 - it's hardly like I'm annoyed or concerned about any "lost money". I am just confused by the rules of what's allowed.

How about if someone is selling something and I have one cheaper, can I post in that thread offering my cheaper item when someone expresses interest in the original posters item? As I would be helping out the buyer and the community with cheaper price by how I understand your reasoning?

ratfink
20th March 2012, 18:54
Go easy people, very easy for things to escalate needlessly and then before you know it, we lose a guy who provides a good service over a small misunderstanding over etiquette.

Bad_Ad84
20th March 2012, 18:59
I am honestly not annoyed and my above examples are extremes to express my point.

However, I am just trying to understand what is and isn't allowed or correct ettiqutte as you rightly put it. My interpretation of the rules would have said that's not allowed. However, I can certainly be mistaken and would just like to understand it fully.

morcar
20th March 2012, 19:17
how much would it be for a ps2 slim to be mod chipped and have the romeo mod to save the laser ?

Bad_Ad84
20th March 2012, 19:26
Which model is it? You don't need the laser fix on all models. It's v12 for certain off the top of my head that requires it. If you send me the model, I will check once back at a computer.

morcar
20th March 2012, 19:42
details sent

sb1987
20th March 2012, 20:45
u never answered my ? i have modbo 750 how much would u charge to install it in my ps2 fat and ship it bk to me many thanks shaun :)

Bad_Ad84
20th March 2012, 20:50
Sorry, must of missed that one!

Pm me details of your console (model on the bottom/back)

roy_bates
20th March 2012, 22:09
i dont actually want anything doing,just like to say that you do a really nice job of the soldering and the finnish is nice as well.

very nice work very nice indeed.

-Acid-
21st March 2012, 02:09
Chipped ps2 came back today working a treat. Finally enjoying some of my ntsc originals ive been picking up lately like Raiden 3 :)

Comes highly recommended from me.

ratfink
21st March 2012, 19:13
If I had a graphics card that was artefacting, I'm told that might be a solder issue of some sort. I'm not willing to put it in my oven to reflow the solder, I'm sure it would kill it [or more likely, burn half of it and leave the rest uncooked!].

Is that the kind of repair you might be able to do?

It's a PCI-Express 6600GT sli-on-a-card.

Bad_Ad84
24th March 2012, 20:06
Yes, it's probably a solder ball under the gpu that's broken. Same thing as Xbox rrod

Mendel
26th March 2012, 18:19
How familiar are you with "ratte automatic vga switch"?

To me it looks like lots of parts, probably some soldering required and I have shaky hands when it comes to soldering.

http://mfilos.blogspot.com/2010/11/a1200d-ppc-rattes-auto-agartg-switch.html

I'm not even all that familiar with what is required but if I send you all the (you would need to have some Amiga hardware and I could send you bits that you are missing. Obviously I would send my motherboard and if necessary also mediator, voodoo 3 and turbocard. I could send case and power supply too but that would add to the weight so much I would rather not if you happen to have an AT psu. So it would all depend on what you have.

This is all theoretical and would only happen in case that I can actually get the set of parts for it... but I wouldn't want to even make a "wanted" thread for it if I cant get anyone to assemble it if I get the parts.

Bad_Ad84
26th March 2012, 18:45
Not familiar, but soldering is soldering pretty much.

I will look into it, but I don't really see a problem... Other than the amount of stuff you might need to ship. We can discuss once I get upto speed however.

Bad_Ad84
5th April 2012, 21:29
A1200 recapped board sent back today.

Snes with super cic fitted also sent back today.

Uncle_Meat
10th April 2012, 15:43
*ta-daa*

Have you got any HM514800 SOJ RAM lurking about?

My MegAChip board has gone flakey, only showing up as 640K RAM instead of 2Mb CHIP and first suspect here is the memory on the mega board. I can't see it being Agnus, as I imagine it would just flake out right away.. I suppose it could be some of the surface mount stuff on there, but not having the appropriate soldering kit here, I don't fancy it myself in case I bugger things up.

---------- Post added at 14:43 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

*edit* Forgot to add, might need a similar thing doing to my GVP 030 combo card, potentially iffy RAM, but might be handy to check that out in a known good A2000 board first. Not recognising on-board memory is the problem with that.

One thing at a time anyway... :)

Bad_Ad84
10th April 2012, 15:47
I dont have any of those chips.

Some on ebay, but quite expensive IMO.

I could check with my chinese supplier - as I am due to order a bunch of stuff for my regular order....

How many are needed?

Uncle_Meat
10th April 2012, 15:52
Only 2, if it does turn out to be both at fault.

The board is populated with 1Mb, which is added to whatever else is in the system.

Bad_Ad84
10th April 2012, 16:03
Let me know what chips you possibly need for the GVP too. can get a price on all at once.

Uncle_Meat
10th April 2012, 16:24
The GVP is HM514400-60s. I've got some known good 70s here on some 4Mb 72-pin SIMM boards, but wouldn't know for sure if they would be OK. I'm sure if GVP could have gotten away with 70s they would have. :)

Bad_Ad84
10th April 2012, 16:26
I will get you a price.

How many on the GVP?

I am due to place my order within the next week or so. Unfortunately its only economical when doing a large order (fees, shipping, etc)

Uncle_Meat
10th April 2012, 16:31
Heh. Forgot to mention that bit. 8.

Daft thing is, it may well only need the 1 to bring it back to life, but I have no way of testing this for certain myself.

I know how you feel. I get charged a flat rate for shipping, be it an envelope-sized couple of sticks of RAM to half a dozen large parcels. Swines.

robinsonb5
11th April 2012, 21:07
The A1200 board arrived safely re-capped (and re-PCMCIA'ed thanks to mjnurney's generosity) yesterday, and I've reassembled today. So far it's working like a champ - many thanks :)

About to leave feedback

RED IMPACT
22nd April 2012, 21:41
Just wanted to say thanks to Bad_Ad84 (http://www.amibay.com/member.php?u=5358) for modding my SNES.

It is now 60hz and multi region!

Nice and tidy solder work - recommend this guy! :cool:

scrappysphinx
2nd May 2012, 18:49
Great big thanks to Bad_Ad84. He took a spare xbox motherboard i had removed the ram chips and soldered them onto my current setup thereby giving my xbox 128mb ram for use with emulators and Linux.

Was great to deal with all the way through and didn't even get phased when my bios didn't accept the ram, he just flashed a new bios and provided a screenshot to show it working.

I'm sure he won't mind me posting his pics of his awesome work.

Thanks again matey and some positive feedback on the way

MikeUK
23rd May 2012, 21:54
My A1200 has a 2B motherboard and needs all timing fixes doing and also probably re-capping.

Will pay for the work :)

Bad_Ad84
23rd May 2012, 22:41
Pm me and we will discuss :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any crazy auto corrects or lack of detail (links to info sources)

Gavt2003
8th June 2012, 13:02
I have a PC Engine Core system the grey model which outputs Rf. I'm trying to find someone who can do the rgb mod to output to scart. Ideally I'd like a din connector on the side of the console so the av lead can be plugged in and out. Is this something you would undertake and if so could you give me a rough quote. Thanks in advance. Gav

Bad_Ad84
8th June 2012, 17:44
Pm me details of the mod and I can give you a price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any crazy auto corrects or lack of detail (links to info sources)

bdb
8th June 2012, 18:52
Your thread said "repair," does this mean repair as in a newly defective A4000T motherboard?

Bdb

Bad_Ad84
8th June 2012, 20:05
Yes, but would need more info about what's wrong with it.

Mendel
12th June 2012, 17:01
Negotiations going on via pm about my desktop amiga project. Possible expansion port extension making, maybe picopsu installing, maybe bmon cable making are discussed. :cool:

Mendel
14th June 2012, 10:03
Payment sent for some parts as discussed in pm.

Bad_Ad84
14th June 2012, 10:07
Could a mod please rename this thread to

"Modding and repair services"

I can then edit the original post.

Thanks

johnim
14th June 2012, 20:19
done ad

WonkeyDonkey
15th June 2012, 13:00
I have had some work done by Adam on a keyboard involving some new wiring and a reset mod/fix.

I can confirm everything works and it is all done as we discussed; the price was quite reasonable too, so overall very happy with the work :)

Beaps
15th June 2012, 16:48
I have a jap Saturn that has a video problem, you think you can fix that?

Bad_Ad84
15th June 2012, 20:09
Pm me with details of what's wrong/symptoms and I will let you know

Beaps
22nd June 2012, 18:07
Here is what is wrong with my Saturn

Hi All,

I have this problem with my Sega Saturn. Its not major but it is annoying. http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/smileys/smiley18.gif

On certain games I get like a band of graphic error across the screen?

Its a Jap modded machine & I am using the 4meg Datel Memory card.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5849/83511832.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/83511832.png/)

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5223/35005248.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/35005248.jpg/)

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8971/88105981.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/407/88105981.png/)

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/2222/95821648.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/95821648.jpg/)

Bad_Ad84
27th June 2012, 10:16
Looks like possibly a ram issue.

(Sorry I took so long to reply, I missed your post in the amibay downtime).

I will investigate and update once I have more understanding on where the issue could be.

Beaps
27th June 2012, 17:37
GREAT! Thanks buddy :arms

Snoozy
4th July 2012, 09:16
pm sent re: cable with LM1881N for gbs 8220 to vga in on led tv.

lolafg
4th July 2012, 14:00
:) Hello Bad_Ad84 ,

As i see you are offering your services , i would need something ,
i just bought an sd floppy emulator and would like to install it in my A1200 , to do that i'd need to make some cables like those ones : http://www.amibay.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23685&stc=1&d=1330481579

Would it be possible for you to make them for me ?

Thanks to let me know how much it would cost and if of course you are ok.

Bad_Ad84
4th July 2012, 14:17
Yes, those cables would be easy enough to make. However, I would need to know the pin out of what is connected to what.

lolafg
4th July 2012, 14:41
Yes, those cables would be easy enough to make. However, I would need to know the pin out of what is connected to what.

:) Cool ,

well the cable on the right (without buttons) is for the lcd screen ,

the other one with buttons is to control the text and select , there is an explanation on page 26 of the archive i attached

it seems like this :

Pin 1 should be connected to all the extra buttons, then follow the pinout in page 26(7.3 User interface)

1 - VSS (Common to all push button)
7 - BUTTON_DOWN
9 - BUTTON_UP
8 - BUTTON_SELECT

Hope i'm understandable...i'm noob in electronics sorry.

Bad_Ad84
4th July 2012, 14:44
Easy enough.

I will price up parts, then let you know a price.

lolafg
4th July 2012, 14:48
:thumbsup:Thanks , will wait your proposition :thumbsup:

Mendel
4th July 2012, 16:24
I think I ought to post here too:
Ill send my amiga to you tomorrow for picopsu installation as agreed in pm. :thumbsup:

Mendel
5th July 2012, 14:25
No turning back now. Package has been sent!

Snoozy
6th July 2012, 14:22
gbs 8220 + vga cable etc despatched today 1st class recorded:)

bash
6th July 2012, 15:06
Hi guy

I've joined this site for Xbox related retro goodness, was wondering how much you charge for Ram upgrade to 128meg please? I understand I have to aquire the ram myself.

Also any chance you know how to do mod the box so its a slimmer size? I've been looking for the Super Slim Xbox cases but I think they're long gone now :(

scrappysphinx
6th July 2012, 16:14
I don't think there was a genuine slim case for the xbox (correct me if i'm wrong) they were custom made by owners by removing the dvd drive and flashing the modchip or tsop with a no dvd bios.

They then cut the case down to a size they were comfortable with and replaced the 3.5" hard drive with a 2.5" I've also heard of some using a pico psu so they could get it even smaller.

My favourite was always this one (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=615937) by ghostavel
So sleek and elegant

alexh
6th July 2012, 16:29
I was curious as to what 128Mbyte RAM gets you? I think it breaks some XBOX games (but you can patch the exe on some) and XBMC cannot use the extra 64Mbytes... is it MAMEoX only?

bash
6th July 2012, 17:06
I was curious as to what 128Mbyte RAM gets you? I think it breaks some XBOX games (but you can patch the exe on some) and XBMC cannot use the extra 64Mbytes... is it MAMEoX only?

Hi Alexh

Its fine for UnleashX (as far as Im aware) as long as you have the relavent bios. As I only use Coinops now its certainly has added benefits and unlocks more roms than the standard 64mb.

scrappysphinx
6th July 2012, 17:10
i have a 128mb xbox (bad_ad84 did the upgrade) and i have seen improvement in the N64 emulator (think its called surrealx) before it was barely playable in my opinion now its at least useable. Also coinops, mameX and xbox linux benefit from the added ram.

Bad_Ad84
6th July 2012, 17:13
xbmc will use the extra ram too.

ShambleS1980
6th July 2012, 18:01
remember to use mamox 128Plus.

games should not suffer any ill effects. "your thinking of a 1ghz cpu upgrade, which does have a xbe patch"

Most emulators will be able to utilize the extra ram.

Most official games just wont see the extra ram

you have a few bioses that can use the extra ram. i recommend IND bios. You can also use cromwell if you wanted to make a linux box.

XBMC will see and use the extra ram.
but even with the extra ram id still ony use 720p max res.

I don't think there was a genuine slim case for the xbox (correct me if i'm wrong) they were custom made by owners by removing the dvd drive and flashing the modchip or tsop with a no dvd bios.

They then cut the case down to a size they were comfortable with and replaced the 3.5" hard drive with a 2.5" I've also heard of some using a pico psu so they could get it even smaller.

thats correct.
although you dont need to use a 2.5 drive.. You cut down the case
you take the dvd out and then cut off everything above the line where the bottom of the dvd player would sit. then you cut down the dvd cradle so it fits in the case, the 3.5 inch hdd sits in the dvd cradle, you trim the inner supprts of the top of the case down so it can again slide down fully on the bottom half, the case top will sit flush on the xbox so its level with the feet of the thing. You take the sheilding off the top half of the case, And above where the stock fan is are some more strut things. You trim them off too and then the stock fan will fit in the case..
You can also do it to a softmod by using a PCB from a dvd player. but thats just a silly solution to a simple problem.

Its a prety easy mod to do.
of course some people went crazy changed the psu. removed caps. used ultra thin heat sinks and 2.5 inch drives and custom made cases out of plexi or similar molded plastic.
These can be REALLy thin. But generally a slim box is easy to make as a basic version.

They end up something like this..
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg528/scaled.php?server=528&filename=imgp3187.jpg&res=landing

i made that oen with the method described above..

i also added a 80MM fan to top center of the case with that dragon cut out fan protector. was a 3 coulour lked fan.
The buyer was prety happy with it.

that pic is when it was Almost finished..
wasnt screwed together or anything then.

bash
7th July 2012, 02:29
That really kool mate. How much would you charge to slim my Xbox down to that size?

ShambleS1980
7th July 2012, 12:46
not my thread and im not here to advertize my service. and i shut up shop for a month or so due to re wiering.

lolafg
8th July 2012, 20:32

:) Cool ,

well the cable on the right (without buttons) is for the lcd screen ,

the other one with buttons is to control the text and select , there is an explanation on page 26 of the archive i attached

it seems like this :

Pin 1 should be connected to all the extra buttons, then follow the pinout in page 26(7.3 User interface)

1 - VSS (Common to all push button)
7 - BUTTON_DOWN
9 - BUTTON_UP
8 - BUTTON_SELECT

Hope i'm understandable...i'm noob in electronics sorry.

:)Hello Bad ,
did you had time to have a look ?
Thanks.

Bad_Ad84
8th July 2012, 20:36
PM me tomorrow (as ill be at work and have more time). Been run off my feet this weekend!

Snoozy
15th July 2012, 16:43
Payment sent for snes gbs 8220 mod :thumbsup:

Bad_Ad84
15th July 2012, 20:29
Gbs 8220 being sent back tomorrow. Already packed and ready to go

lolafg
15th July 2012, 21:00
:)Hello Bad , just sent you a pm , just let me know the total amount :)

Bad_Ad84
16th July 2012, 18:20
Hxc returned today. Gbs8220 also returned today.

lolafg
17th July 2012, 14:05
:) hello Bad , just to know , is it possible to let you a feedback when all will be finished ?

Bad_Ad84
17th July 2012, 14:07
of course.

Snoozy
17th July 2012, 20:31
Modded GBS 8220 and cable for use with snes received all working fine, thanks, feedback submitted :)

lolafg
22nd July 2012, 15:10
:)HXC and cables received , all ok , wiil leave feedback now , Thanks!

Methanoid
30th July 2012, 14:48
Hi

Do you offer a recap service to replace all caps etc on an Atari STE? If so PM me some details and prices etc?

Thanks

robinsonb5
31st July 2012, 21:54
PMing with a question about a little pin-replacement job.

Mendel
2nd August 2012, 23:19
Okay... I have one more potential project for you :)

I am looking to get some kind of device that has rgb scart input and vga output for my crt monitor.

Apparently xrgb3 would do the trick but at xxx eur for device + xx eur for shipping it is just too much.

Okay so I searched for "scart in vga out" and found some youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOeC5PdbkBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWNmwo9fb_A&list=UUUwnXPip_0KTFBl6ZlGf40g&index=109&feature=plcp

Theres some board that says "cga/ega/yuv to 2vga" on it which in and of itself apparently only costs xx eur...
edit: looks like its GBS-8220?

But then... it would need to be modified "somehow" to accept rgb scart as input. Do you think that this is something you could do, would want to do and would have time to do?

Ill soon have Atari ST and Spectrum with rgb scart cables ... and while I can plug them to tv, Id really want to try them on my crt monitor :)

Snoozy
2nd August 2012, 23:29
Hey Mendel, maybe you need a cable similar to what BadAd_84 built for me.

It has rgb scart female on one end and vga male on the other end. At the female scart end it has a 3.5mm female audio out. At the scart female I have a scart selector box plugged in.

Then you can plug your rgb scart into one empty scart and plug the vga cable end into the gbs 8220 input to vga upscale, which is connected via standard vga cable output to vga input on tv/monitor. You can then use this for all rgb scart devices (especially via the scart selector box)

:)

Mendel
3rd August 2012, 00:51
Oh... right! How silly of me not to see that he recently worked with something very similar to what I need :D

ubermick
3rd August 2012, 17:02
PM sent about checking out an A1200 board with dodgy sound...

jvdbossc
3rd August 2012, 20:11
Spider usb card for reasonable price?

Methanoid
3rd August 2012, 21:27
Oh... right! How silly of me not to see that he recently worked with something very similar to what I need :D

I think what many of us are looking for is a pre-built box like THIS (http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=25401)

Mendel
3rd August 2012, 22:58
Yeah, nice case. I just dont get the whole scanline generator thing. I want as clean image and as sharp pixels as possible, none of that scanline nonsense and none of the lcd blurring :)

Methanoid
3rd August 2012, 22:59
Yeah, nice case. I just dont get the whole scanline generator thing. I want as clean image and as sharp pixels as possible, none of that scanline nonsense and none of the lcd blurring :)

So just commission Bad to build you one without the SLG3000.. thats prob what I will do :)

Mendel
3rd August 2012, 23:03
Yes, Im thinking that would be an option but it seems like he is busy. Look at his posting statistics :) Not that I can complain seeing as one reason why he is busy is he is working on my miggy :cool:

Snoozy
4th August 2012, 00:38
At the risk of sounding like i'm repeating myself it sounds like you may need the mod that BadAd_84 did to my gbs 8220 (the mod mimics adding a sync strike) combined with the modded scart vga cable i already mentioned.

mmmonkey gives details of how sync is dealt with on the gbs8220:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/sync.htm

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/rgb2vga.htm

these were the mods i had done, better than messing with slg 3000 (which is just a scan line generator) and sync strike :)

Mendel
4th August 2012, 00:48
Okay. What makes this mod thing better than that sync strike thing? Is there image quality difference (even if we disregard scanlines)

Anyways, seems like you have talked me into it. Ive already sent bad_ad84 pm about it and I need to be patient about it :)

Snoozy
4th August 2012, 01:14
from what i gather its just the same as a sync strike but via a diy version. The key is the LM1881N chip.

Therefore the ingredients you will need:

GBS 8220
LM1881N chip
Female Scart plug
3.5mm Female Audio plug
VGA male plug cable end
The purchase of BadAd_84 services

:)

Mendel
4th August 2012, 02:03
Sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

Bad_Ad84
4th August 2012, 19:25
I have been busy clearing out back log of work. I am also away until Thursday. However, I will be back on top of my game by the end of the week. Responding to pm's now...

Mendel
4th August 2012, 21:58
PM sent about listing everything that I need done and payment sent for roughly what is needed for parts, postage and building&modding :cool:

Bad_Ad84
4th August 2012, 22:11
Spider usb card for reasonable price?

Not sure what you are asking...

What do you need?

This?

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=21287

?

Mendel
8th August 2012, 19:43
Is there no end to this... Sent pm about SNES stuff such as rgb cable that might be usable with the gbs8220 as well. Also asking if bad_ad84 would be nice enough to buy snes and a power supply / transformer for me from uk ebay bin (I have uk to eur power plug adapters now :) ) and send it to me with the rest of the stuff he is sending to me anyways. Also talks about custom snes cart.

Snes in Finnish auction costs xxx eur but only xx gbp in UK ebay.
Similarly snes power supply costs xx eur in Finland but only x gbp in ebay.

Mendel
16th August 2012, 09:47
Seeing as Im getting a SNES, I might get a Super Everdrive as well. And a dsp-1 needs to be fitted into it. Sending pm if bad_ad84 wants to do that for me as well. Who else :)

ratfink
31st August 2012, 14:19
PM sent regarding possible repairs to a couple of graphics cards.

NEO369.0
19th September 2012, 19:27
PM sent on modding ps2 slim as discussed. ready to send along with modbo chip :)

HeZoR
20th September 2012, 09:50
PM sent about sega saturn

morch
1st October 2012, 00:16
Hi there, i have a sega saturn doesn't work entirely after the wrong mains was attached, i changed the power board to a 240v one, it will boot up and it will play music cds, but it's having issues getting games to load past intro screen...

thinking either lens is faulty, or the main board has died....

also i have a plain uk saturn, could you do a multi region 56/60hz switch?

a quote would be handy :)

CrazyC
1st October 2012, 15:22
PM sent and answered regarding recapping an a1200 and upgrading roms. to be sorted in a few weeks.
Cheers

Tw1sted1981
25th October 2012, 13:52
PM sent about recapping and timing.

-C

CrazyC
5th November 2012, 14:21
PM sent and answered regarding recapping an a1200 and upgrading roms. to be sorted in a few weeks.
Cheers

All done now - great - about to leave feedback and will use again in future.
Thanks

BamberO
7th November 2012, 21:28
I'd like to know how much it would cost for a mod to be fitted to a Saturn too please. Do I need to provide the chip or can you include that in the price please?

-Acid-
8th November 2012, 00:11
Adam is moving house right now so replies might be slow for a little while

limboy777
14th November 2012, 17:04
Hi Bad_Ad84 (Adam)

I have a NES toploader that I would like modded so it has the AV mod. When you have some time, please let me know the cost to do this as Acid has reccommended you.:thumbsup:

Bad_Ad84
20th November 2012, 08:42
Old house is cleared, everything is in the new house (or dumped in the garage!).

Internet should be connected tomorrow (hopefully!). So getting back on track slowly.

Time is still short at the moment (lots of things to put up or fix in the new house).

If anyone wants me, please PM after posting in this thread - as I am probably not checking it as much as I should while things are hectic.

iainjh
24th November 2012, 12:44
Recommendation for bad_ad84

Hi

Just want to publically recognise the great job bad_ad84 has recently done for me- I now have a really vibrant, sharp rgb mod on my pc-engine

Adam was fantastic , highly recommended!

He even sorted out my pc-e,s fuse after I stupidly proceeded to blow it up by not taking care with a dodgy scart block...

Thanks again

Iain

CrazyC
24th November 2012, 12:59
Recommendation for bad_ad84

Hi

Just want to publically recognise the great job bad_ad84 has recently done for me- I now have a really vibrant, sharp rgb mod on my pc-engine

Adam was fantastic , highly recommended!

He even sorted out my pc-e,s fuse after I stupidly proceeded to blow it up by not taking care with a dodgy scart block...

Thanks again

Iain

+1

He's currently recapping my second a1200 after doing the first one in October.

bash
25th November 2012, 21:23
Old house is cleared, everything is in the new house (or dumped in the garage!).

Internet should be connected tomorrow (hopefully!). So getting back on track slowly.

Time is still short at the moment (lots of things to put up or fix in the new house).

If anyone wants me, please PM after posting in this thread - as I am probably not checking it as much as I should while things are hectic.

Any chance you can still do the 128mb ram upgrade for Xbox1s?

CrazyC
29th November 2012, 23:03
another recap sorted - cheers Adam.

bash
30th November 2012, 11:16
PM'ed you mate

pheonixace
1st December 2012, 21:48
hey i have a few Ps2's that need lens replacements and Modchips installed I have Modbo 4 chips 2 of them and a few Ps1's ones a 1002 lol PM with your details and ill sort you out with payment

Paradroid90
9th December 2012, 17:12
Hi
It is great that I have come across this thread - Have a Near 100% working C64 breadbin motherboard and from my research it seems to be the Basic Rom which is still at fault (Blue Screen with Cyan Border - No Text on screen but will load my T2 Cartridge) - I do have a donor C64 Board with a socketed Basic Rom but my near working C64 Board has the Basic Rom soldered to the board :-( - Could you swap this for me and could you make it socketed at the same time so if I get the same problem I can change it myself :-)

I am willing to pay of course

Thanks in Advance :thumbsup:

BamberO
1st January 2013, 02:35
are you able to replace the bottom screen of a DS lite? if so, how much please?

ikduncan
12th March 2013, 19:37
Got a few pcengine devices needing rgb mod, also got
A white briefcase cd rom which has stopped spinning (have replaced gears)

bdb
30th March 2013, 14:37
I have an A4000D motherboard that needs recapping. PM to follow.

limboy777
14th April 2013, 17:26
Ive just had some work done on my CDTV. Very pleased. Adam is a really nice guy and very very competent and professional.

Really really pleased:)

Hananas
21st April 2013, 22:15
Hi there do you still sell Snes SuperCIC kit (Programmed) ? If you do i would like to purchase a few of those kits.

jezuhke
22nd April 2013, 10:26
Hi mate, I have two Amiga 1200 that I would like to recap. Is this something you could do for me? Thanks

itsonlyleggy
22nd May 2013, 19:27
Hi there!

Got an A600 that only seems to output one audio channel. Can't work out if it's left or right. Might need a recap, I am NO expert in this field :lol: Any chance you could have a look at it for me?

Will PM you also, thanks :)

-Acid-
22nd May 2013, 21:54
Anyone had a reply off Adam lately? pm'd him a week ago and no reply yet....

itsonlyleggy
28th May 2013, 02:44
Nope, not a whisper. Shame, he seemed like just the man I needed :(

scrappysphinx
28th May 2013, 02:47
i sent him a pm about 2-3 weeks ago and got a reply a couple of days ago. Guess he's just a little busy at the moment.

Kitman
25th July 2013, 12:46
Adam,

I have an A2000, and wondered if you would upgrade the 2x 8 bit ISA slots to 16 bit for me? I have the necessary 16 bit ISA slots already to install.
All that is needed is to solder them into the holes provided on the board. god knows why Commodore didn't just put them in.

PM me when you can.

Regards
K6

DBloke
25th July 2013, 15:08
Got an odd one,

Any experience with NES clone consoles?
Got one that had a burning smell from inside (Power adapter also smoked), would gab another, but something as great looking as this one (Mini NES) is hard to come by

multivac
27th August 2013, 00:37
PM sent

ShambleS1980
27th August 2013, 01:25
if your having a hard time contacting him. you may want to popover to assembler, prety sure he is there more than here :thumbsup:

armalyte
24th December 2013, 23:19
Sending PM

armalyte
7th January 2014, 07:25
Please ignore my PM, mjnurney is helping me instead.

PaStMAN87
20th August 2016, 14:35
P M Sent

Bad_Ad84
25th March 2017, 18:39
So, after a long time away - I am back into the full time modding gig.

If you have anything you want doing, drop me a PM. Proper website and other stuff coming very soon.

johnim
25th March 2017, 20:27
Hi Adam

Welcome back

Bad_Ad84
27th March 2017, 01:39
Cheers John, been awhile.

bwi
1st May 2017, 14:42
Do you do switchless mods for supernintendos?

Tompig
20th July 2017, 15:45
I'm very interested in having my SNES modded but don't really know where to start.

I'm sending you a PM :)