PDA

View Full Version : Review: Blaze Sega Mega Drive

clueless
13th March 2012, 18:27
Blaze Mega Drive Console.

Finally got my hands on one of these. I was intrigued when I saw them on sale in John Lewis a few Christmasí ago, but a few came up on Ebay recently and I won one of the auctions.

The console itself is small and quite sturdy, the build quality seems good. It has a simple on off button and a menu/reset button on the top, as well as two controller ports on the front. On the back is the power and AV connections - just a mono output though.

The supplied controllers are the same shape as the original mega drive ones, although the quality of the pads is somewhat below the original. A very clunky set of buttons and the D-pad sticks out of the controller by quite a distance.
It is compatible with the original controllers though.

I found it compatible with all the games I have and the 15 on board games are:
Alex Kidd
Alien Storm
Altered Beast
Arrow Flash
Bonanza Bros
Cloumns
Crack Down
Decap Attack
Eswat
Fatal Labyrinth
Flicky
Gain Ground
Golden Axe
Shadow Dance
Sonic and Knuckles.

Hereís the kicker though. The sound is appalling. I donít know the technical reasons why it is so bad, but it sucks big time. This is not me being snobby and saying its no good as it doesn't sound like the original, it actually just sounds bad.

I have recorded the first minute of sonic on each system. (couple of MP3's in a zip) The loud white noise on the Blaze is sonic going past a waterfall. It's really not very nice.

So in conclusion.
Pros:-
Small, good build quality on the console, compatible with most games and controllers.

Cons:-
Supplied controllers, very stiff cartridge insertion, mono sound, terrible sound quality.

Recommended? Not really Iím afraid, get an original off Ebay. Yes its smaller, but a mega drive isn't really that big anyway is it?

cardboardboxer
13th March 2012, 18:38
EDIT

fitzsteve
13th March 2012, 18:39
Thanks, you saved me wasting my money - I was tempted to get one for my Everdrive MD but I can't stand poor quality sound :thumbsdown:

clueless
13th March 2012, 18:58
It doesn't have real Megadrive/Genesis hardware it uses emulation on a chip. Its cool that it comes with so many games but in general why would a person buy something that emulates, when you can emulate on a pc for free? There are similar controllers for the PC. I would rather buy real hardware or emulate on a pc.

The sound is appalling on the Blaze, i just listened to your zip file. A 50/60hz switch would fix the music slowdown on a real Megadrive.

I really like the idea of it though. A little modern bit of kit that plays all the old games. Just plug it in and have a laugh playing, and it's great - except the sound. I get what you mean, if you're going to emulate, you may as well just use a PC, but for the sitting round the TV and having a quick gaming session, it ticks all the boxes except one.

Thanks, you saved me wasting my money - I was tempted to get one for my Everdrive MD but I can't stand poor quality sound :thumbsdown:

Its a novelty really. Nothing more, certainly not worth being the centrepiece of your Mega drive collection.

AmiNeo
14th March 2012, 07:45
Original Megadrive MK1 with Scart (and stereo sound outbreak) + Everdrive MD = something better than any company like Blaze will ever pump out. Period.

Oge
14th March 2012, 11:29
I agree. Furthermore, some Mega Drive II models have sound issues which require modifications to be fixed.

Cheers,
Oge

scrappysphinx
14th March 2012, 12:29
The audio on the blaze also sounds to me like its off key

clueless
14th March 2012, 13:56
Agreed, at times its out of tune.

slk486
14th March 2012, 14:15
Not surprising - nobody has that fm chip down in pc emulation yet and even Sega couldn't get it right with the MDII, let alone a Chinese soc solution :p

Most probably won't notice though, since they'll think the original also sounds bad :lol:

Thanks for the review!

clueless
14th March 2012, 14:41
There's a difference in audio between model 1's and model 2's?

Zamza
14th March 2012, 14:58
Thanks for this review. I've considered getting one of these, but poor sound is a deal breaker.

slk486
14th March 2012, 16:20
There's a difference in audio between model 1's and model 2's?

Yeah, even some of the late model 1's have 'really bad' audio. They make a big song and dance about it over at sega16 :roll:
To tell the truth I've never noticed the difference, but I've made that my model 1 has the 'good sound'.

morcar
14th March 2012, 17:05
If you wanted to emulate a megadrive get an xbox if you cant be arsed with the PC :thumbsup:

slk486
14th March 2012, 22:58
Xbox with coin ops is a a real treat :thumbsup: . Will stop soiling your review now, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmiNeo
18th March 2012, 18:34
Without mentioning prices... It's actually cheaper to buy the original hardware too, probably even with a couple of games.

cardboardboxer
2nd April 2012, 05:30
EDIT