Review: The EverDrive MD

Zetr0

Ya' Like it Retr0?
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
The EverDrive MD: A Quick Overview

We started off with a 2GB card formated for FAT, and placed files from the ROM collections of MegaDrive / Master System and 32x in their seperate folders.

MegaDrive & Master System Games

We started off with just the MegaDrive and MegaCD hook up and were very pleased with the simplicity of use in selecting the file to program to the flash RAM and then auto running the game...

We tried Micheal Jacksons moon walker - which as r0jaws pointed out is Karate Champ in better dress clothes.... about the hardest thing in this game is trying not to make wise cracks as Jacko saves these crying children... kneeling in front of him....

We also tried Megalomainia, much to r0jaws delight its a very tidy game, and one of my favourites.

We then moved over to the Master System, starting off with a VERY impressive Alien 3!!! and then experiencing controler failure with Alien Syndrome. from this awesome we powered off and started up for the main event...

32x Games

Plugging in the 32x Expansion and re-installing the EverDrive MD card we fired it all back up... and we throw at it (loaded) Mortal Kombat 2, a very impressive title, although r0jaws was cut to smithers by Baraka... on the first level... - it wasn't pretty lol.

so Onward we moved to Virtual Racing, and what a delight that is... while it looks a little rought around the poly's theres something very charming about it... But we didn't stop there we loading in some Virtua Fighter and Sol Deace!!

Lots of fun... but we wanted more... but first I wanted to know if Master System games would work with the 32x plugged in... unfortunately it doesn't - oh well.. its not a deal breaker!

SD and SDHC (>2GB?)

So we wanted to get more than just a 2GB card running, we wanted atleast 4GB as this would provide an near unexhaustive game library in one cart...

Since I had a floating 4GB SDHC, I prepared it for FAT32, unfortuinately the EverDrive couldn't see the card.... not a worry I then hit up the CMD and formatted the card for FAT 16 using 64k clusters.

Alas that didn't work as well.... so with a little google I found an update for our EverDrive MD's - you can click here to download the file

All you need to do is copy the BIN file to a 2GB or less SD card which has been formated for FAT16 - plumb this into your EverDrive MD and then select (tool-box >> OS Update) you then select the file you have just downloaded to update.

Since I am dishing out links - here is a PDF of the EverDrive MD manual, please note this is for a slightly older version, as such the new ones here are updated by SD card (not an Altera JTAG blaster)

How long does it take to enable SDHC FAT32 support?

Within the space of 5 minutes we had updated the OS on the EverDrive for FAT32 support, and the 4GB card worked straight away!

If I had a larger one Handy I would of tested it - alas I dont... although I am sure I have a 16GB somewhere LOL

Anyway... so were were most pleased with 32x Starwars neatly followed up with some Mega-Lo-Mania!

So where does the fun end?

However there is only one small problem, (other than finding the time to play all these awesome games) and that is the region problem, now the EverDrive is quite a clever bit of kit, however on most of the USA/JP only region games upon running them the classic - this game was not made for your system - bla bla bla...

So you will need to look at modifying your console(s) for proper region free-ing

I would suggest to anyone at this point to review www.mmmonkey.co.uk, particularly the Sega MD / MCD and 32X, there very easy to follow guides and prove most awesome indeed - especially the switchless mods (based on a PIC)

All in all I would give it a 9/10 Super-Stars!

stars-9_0.png

It does exactly what it says on the tin, it provides a mass game library in one simple cartridge, reducing the space needed to have everything in the front room! not only that but also playing master system games without another machine or yet another kludge is a real sweetener!

Upgrading your EverDrive MD

Now, for those of you that might be a little worried about upgrading their EverDrive MD - I am happy to do this for you, just let me know when we get to sorting out postages over the comming days.​

Last edited by a moderator:
However there is only one small problem, (other than finding the time to play all these awesome games) and that is the region problem, now the EverDrive is quite a clever bit of kit, however on most of the USA/JP only region games upon running them the classic - this game was not made for your system - bla bla bla...

So you will need to look at modifying your console(s) for proper region free-ing

This is not true.

Unless you got an older revision Everdrive MD, the new PCBs have MegaKey functionality built-in and will change the region of your console automatically. Check the options, if you don't have it and if you bought this anywhere after April 2010, you got sold old gear.

So where does the fun end?

Glad my MD came to me pre-regionmodded.

Upgrading your EverDrive MD

Now, for those of you that might be a little worried about upgrading their EverDrive MD - I am happy to do this for you, just let me know when we get to sorting out postages over the comming days.

What does the latest version do that the one in our group by don't do that I can firmware update to?

@Akira

Good to see you back in the UK, I am a firm believer that you most certainly ARE the international man of mystery ;) =)

Now, the tests (and hence review) was done on the kit we got from retrogate, while the newer kit might might have full region free support I cannot attest to it.

@moijk

Absolutely nothing =)

Before I shipped out the EverDrive MD's last year I updated the firmware for SDHC (>2GB) and FAT32 support

I have better teeth than the international man of mistery xD
Now, the tests (and hence review) was done on the kit we got from retrogate, while the newer kit might might have full region free support I cannot attest to it.
But did you buy them after April? If your system doesn't have Megakey functionality, it's a revision 2.3 PCB or older. Revision 2.4 and 2.5 all have Megakey functionality. This means today if you buy one and you get a 2.3 PCB you've been had.

It is important to ask about which version of Everdrive you are being sold before buying one, the MEgakey functionality is exactly what I wanted since I have a Japanese Megadrive and I don't want to hack it.

I spotted this convo and the concern so I mailed the guy and theyre 2.5s

The guy were buying from is the guy that made the things so he has assured me he only sells the latest revisions and theyre fully megakey equipped.

If you look closely at Zeets's pic, you'll also see that the ones he ordered last year are in fact 2.4s :)

Hope this ebbs your concerns Akira (y)

The guy were buying from is the guy that made the things so he has assured me he only sells the latest revisions and theyre fully megakey equipped.

(y)

If you look closely at Zeets's pic, you'll also see that the ones he ordered last year are in fact 2.4s :)
I cannot see any picture.
So if he has 2.4, he must have Megakey functionality enabled. Check your options again, Zetro!

Just so you know:

KRIKzz said:
my the way, OSv30 will be available soon. new OS have software region patch function in case if hardware megakey can not be used

Ah so even the 2.3s will be multi region then :)

@ Akira - Pic is at very top of page matey (y)

Its a direct quote from the creator.

I post at assemblergames mostly and that is where the everdrive support forum is. This is where that quote came from.

I post at assemblergames mostly and that is where the everdrive support forum is. This is where that quote came from.

I concur:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, I don't mean you are not right, I mean, I do not understand if with this he means region change is supported even in cards older than 2.3. It says "in case hardware megakey cannot be used", but this is not a very specific phrase. There may be many reasons why it can't be used.

I suspect it's just patching the rom as its copied to flash. So it should work on any cart

how do you play Master System games, do you need the converter in the top?

nope, you just select the sms rom and it plays, one could say that the everdrive itself takes the role of the converter

nope, you just select the sms rom and it plays, one could say that the everdrive itself takes the role of the converter

The converter is mostly just straight channels, all it really converts is the cart shape xD

Hummmm I tried a few different roms from different locations & still nothing, just a black screen?

Back
Top Bottom