Games to take to a retro gathering (cd32)

moijk

Licence to fish
AmiBayer
Country
Norway
Region
Grimstad
I'm bringing my (unexpanded) cd32 to a retro meeting this friday. None of my miggys is that perfectly configured that they are more suited.

However, I'm not too sure what would catch the eye of 20 year olds. has to be easy to jump into and fun. no strategy or manual-needing gameplay.

I'm thinking of Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer, Super Skidmarks, project x, super stardust .. and then I got lost. other ideas?

I'm bringing my (unexpanded) cd32 to a retro meeting this friday. None of my miggys is that perfectly configured that they are more suited.

However, I'm not too sure what would catch the eye of 20 year olds. has to be easy to jump into and fun. no strategy or manual-needing gameplay.

I'm thinking of Cannon Fodder, Sensible Soccer, Super Skidmarks, project x, super stardust .. and then I got lost. other ideas?

Good choices you have there moijk, although I don't think Super Skidmarks holds up that well today.

Also consider Alien Breed, which should already be familiar to them, and ATR is good fun in any generation. Get a hold of the R-Types CD32 compilation and bring that - solid gameplay from the A500, running on the cd32 (y)

I remember Base Jumpers being loads of fun, but haven't played it in years and years.

get the CD32 game pack cds, something for everyone on those and they come with a nice front end:nod:

get the CD32 game pack cds, something for everyone on those and they come with a nice front end:nod:

Linky? Found them a bit clunky and slow last I checked, but maybe they've improved?

Fire & Ice.
Superfrog.
Lotus Trilogy.
Both Zool Games.
Xenon 2 CDTV.
Dizzy 6 Compilation.
All of the shoot 'em ups (Can't remember all the names :p)

Compilation disks work well enough, but yeah, the menus are way too slow for me bother using them.

Flink!

It's really a shame this game doesn't support save codes or saving the game progress. I like it still.

Disposable Hero

Irk, no! :p Although it serves as a good example of how NOT to balance a shoot'em up. Nice graphics though ;)

Google tells me that game is hard as f*ck, that would be perfect. The 20 year olds who beat a modern game in a weekend ought to feel the wrath of the 1990s games ;)

My favorite side scroller was project x. and i thought that was hard enough.

---------- Post added at 10:36 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

Good choices you have there moijk, although I don't think Super Skidmarks holds up that well today.

Well, as it is one of my personal favorites I agree to disagree on that.

Also consider Alien Breed, which should already be familiar to them, and ATR is good fun in any generation. Get a hold of the R-Types CD32 compilation and bring that - solid gameplay from the A500, running on the cd32 (y)

I remember Base Jumpers being loads of fun, but haven't played it in years and years.

I'll bring cd32 compilations as well, but real cd32 games are often more suited to the controls. Alien Breed is nice. Never got around to play it back in the day though. only recently.

A mix og generes would be perfect. so I can just label the disks with the name of the game and the genere, and they can pick what they fancy.

Google tells me that game is hard as f*ck, that would be perfect. The 20 year olds who beat a modern game in a weekend ought to feel the wrath of the 1990s games ;)

My favorite side scroller was project x. and i thought that was hard enough.

It's not that it's hard, it's just that it's so imbalanced that it's absolutely no fun.
I really would like to like it, and keep coming back to try to, but you are so underpowered that it just becomes a frustrating experience and is as much fun as going balls first from the 5m jumping board. And don't get me started on the heath meter... :mad:

Project-x has some of the same inadequacies, but to a much lesser extent, so it's actually fun and is hard enough.

Well, as it is one of my personal favorites I agree to disagree on that.

Mine too, but playing it recently just made me wonder why ;)

Ive been looking for these disks for a while, can you give me some links or a phrase to google so it will be some of the first links if thats not allowed on here?

I know some of the following have been mentioned - but these are the games I would take with me

1. Project X SE
2. Quick the Thunder Rabbit
3. Zool / Zool 2
4. Chaos Engine
5. Cannon Fodder
6. Micro Machines
7. Flash Back
8. Alien Breed Tower Assault
9. Body Blows : Galactic
10: Super Skid Markz
11: Lotus 2 / 3
12: Super Cars 2
13: Knights of the Sky (link up)
14: Sensible Soccer
15: Rainbow Islands
16: Fire & Ice
17: Shadow of the Beast 2
18: Escape from the Plannet of the Robot Monsters
19: Zombie Apocalyse II
20: Operation Wulf
21: Aladin
22: Prince of Persia
23: International Karate' (IK+)
24: Microprose F1 Grand Prix
25: Skelenton Krew
26: Gloom
27: Fears
28: Worms DC (Directors Cut)
29: No Second Prize
30: Desert Strike

Its a pity you are only going for the arcade, while I understand it, since going to a lot of retro shows, I have been more surprised at the want to play more involving games.

Should you want to encompas more game genres then I humbly recommend the following

31: Megalomania
32: Realms
33: Dungeon Master
33: Abandon Places 2
34: Ishaar 1 / 2 / 3
36: Captive
37: Amber Moon
38: Populace
39: K240
40: Utopia
41: Atomix
42: Hunter
43: Perihelion
44: Benfactor
45: Lost Vikings
46: ThemePark
47: Syndicate
48: Xenomorphe
49: Sensible Golf
50: Another World

That lot would run on an unexpanded CD32 =)

Lol, that's pretty much the entire CD32 library (y)

I know some of the following have been mentioned - but these are the games I would take with me

1. Project X SE
2. Quick the Thunder Rabbit
3. Zool / Zool 2
4. Chaos Engine
5. Cannon Fodder
6. Micro Machines
7. Flash Back
8. Alien Breed Tower Assault
9. Body Blows : Galactic
10: Super Skid Markz
11: Lotus 2 / 3
12: Super Cars 2
13: Knights of the Sky (link up)
14: Sensible Soccer
15: Rainbow Islands
16: Fire & Ice
17: Shadow of the Beast 2
18: Escape from the Plannet of the Robot Monsters
19: Zombie Apocalyse II
20: Operation Wulf
21: Aladin
22: Prince of Persia
23: International Karate' (IK+)
24: Microprose F1 Grand Prix
25: Skelenton Krew
26: Gloom
27: Fears
28: Worms DC (Directors Cut)
29: No Second Prize
30: Desert Strike

Its a pity you are only going for the arcade, while I understand it, since going to a lot of retro shows, I have been more surprised at the want to play more involving games.

Should you want to encompas more game genres then I humbly recommend the following

31: Megalomania
32: Realms
33: Dungeon Master
33: Abandon Places 2
34: Ishaar 1 / 2 / 3
36: Captive
37: Amber Moon
38: Populace
39: K240
40: Utopia
41: Atomix
42: Hunter
43: Perihelion
44: Benfactor
45: Lost Vikings
46: ThemePark
47: Syndicate
48: Xenomorphe
49: Sensible Golf
50: Another World

That lot would run on an unexpanded CD32 =)

LOL

I could think of more, but I figured I should stop at 50 and give some one else a chance to come up with a game title or two lol!

LOL

I could think of more, but I figured I should stop at 50 and give some one else a chance to come up with a game title or two lol!

Strike all those, and bring The Settlers! :nod:

Surprised no one has mentioned Rise of the robots and Street fighter 2 :)

LOL

Strike all those, and bring The Settlers! :nod:

I had a conversation with one of the guys that arranges it about settlers. I said I was a fan of the game back in the day, and he asked what the first one I played was - apparently stretching it and guessed number two. ;)

Back
Top Bottom