PDA

View Full Version : Problem with GVP GeForce & HC+8

dougal
27th March 2012, 11:29
Hi, my GeForce 040 Combo arrived today and it works great :thumbsup:

Problem is when i put the Geforce in and left the HD & CD connected to the HD+8 the Amiga crashed when i booted up to workbench. It just froze.

Removed the HC+8 and connected the Scsi devices to the GVP and it worked perfectly.

Put the HC+8 back in without SCSI connected and same, Amiga froze after a second on workbench.

Tried disabling the SCSI of the Geforce by its jumper and connected the scsi drives to the HC+8 and same, crashes on desktop.

Now i completely removed the HC+8 and its working fine but:

A: I would have loved to have the extra 6MB from the HC+8

B: For some reason the SCSI controller of the GeForce is being MUCH slower than the one of the HC+8. (HC+8 = approx 2MB/S and GeForce = approx 1.3MB/S)

Justin
27th March 2012, 11:32
is this in the 2000?

isn't there a zorro memory limit that you would be exceeding by adding the HC+8?

this is off the top of my head stuff so i could be wrong, but something is nagging at the back of my mind about this.....

dougal
27th March 2012, 11:34
is this in the 2000?

isn't there a zorro memory limit that you would be exceeding by adding the HC+8?

this is off the top of my head stuff so i could be wrong, but something is nagging at the back of my mind about this.....

Yes it is an A2000

The ram of the GeForce is 32bit, so it has 16Mb there.

I thought that it has nothing to do with the Zorro ram

BlindGerMan
27th March 2012, 11:37
Have you disabled autobooting for the GVP 040?

Have you perhaps different versions of the GVP ROMs on your 040 and SCSI controller?

alexh
27th March 2012, 11:43
I imagine a jumper has to be set correctly for the G-Force 040 not to use Zorro RAM space. Do you have the manual?

What version of ROM do you have on both cards?

What is your hard drive's DMA mask setting?

Which 040 library are you using?

dougal
27th March 2012, 12:14
I imagine a jumper has to be set correctly for the G-Force 040 not to use Zorro RAM space. Do you have the manual?

Sysinfo reports the 16MB of ram as 32 Bit - I imagine it means the ram is not in the Zorro RAM space as it would have been 24 Bit. Am I correct?

What version of ROM do you have on both cards?

No idea. How could I find out ? If the HC+8 has a newer (faster?) ROM, would I be able to switch them seeing as the GeForce's SCSI controller is reported as being a GVP HC+8 Series II ?

What is your hard drive's DMA mask setting?

I'm new to SCSI... DMA mask setting? What's that? How can I find out?

Which 040 library are you using?

I'm using 68040.library which comes with OS 3.9

---------- Post added at 13:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Have you disabled autobooting for the GVP 040?

Have you perhaps different versions of the GVP ROMs on your 040 and SCSI controller?

On the GVP 040 i tried the jumper which disables the SCSI

BlindGerMan
27th March 2012, 13:18
You can easily switch the ROMs between the Controller and the 040er!

at the cli type

version gvpscsi.device

and you get the version number of the ROM

and I think you have a second one because of 2 GVP units, so type

version gvpscsi2.version

and you get the second one!

Zetr0
27th March 2012, 13:26
@dougal

I found I need to remove the ROM on the HC8+ before my GVP Combi-040 and HC+8 would play nice

I will say that it was a completely wasted effort mind as the 8MB on HC8 was not used since I had 16MB of 32Bit RAM...

then I added a Picasso II +... and it was pointless taking up a zorro slot just for 6MB of RAM... so I sold it on....

The HC8+ is a great card and will give any A2000 (or A500 / A1000 via adapter) a great boost in terms of RAM and DMA managed SCSI!.... but since that already exists in the GVP Combi 040.... its utterly pointless....

BlindGerMan
27th March 2012, 13:30
So it is only a fastram and harddisk carrier...

Zetr0
27th March 2012, 13:34
the HC8+ is a combination of

A 24bit Memory Adapter that can only be accessed in 16bits
A DMA FAST SCSI II Controller (aguably its a fast FIFO buffer)

In essence, the controller on the card only deals in 16bits, when it has to use 32bit Address of RAM it falls back to a slower - slight more CPU intensive FIFO buffered system

While they have limitations sure, I still have a soft spot for these cards!

dougal
27th March 2012, 13:50
@Zetro, I guess so i'm best off selling the HC8+ right?

But before I do i should check the ROM versions on both the 040 and the HC8+ and if need be put the newer ROM revision (if any) into the 040 Combo ?

It must be the ROM because with the HC8+ I was getting 2Mb/s (quite impressive for a ZII) but with the 040 Combo only 1.3Mb/s and believe me you really do notice the difference.

Justin
27th March 2012, 13:53

In essence, the controller on the card only deals in 16bits, when it has to use 32bit Address of RAM it falls back to a slower - slight more CPU intensive FIFO buffered system

lol does that mean i was sort of right?:lol:

Zetr0
27th March 2012, 14:09
@dougal

the latest ROM for the GVP is 4.15 and is available from Ralph Bables webiste (linked earlier by speed geek)

With the 4.15 ROM my GVP Combi 040 maxes out at 2.1MB a second READ, slightly slower WRITE and about 38% CPU Load

My GVP is configured in Burst MODE - to do this you need to have all 4 banks of memory of the same type installed (i.e. all 4MB SIMM's or all 16 MB SIMM's) - this improves performance a LOT nearly 25% on some tests!

You will also need to remove a jumper J22 - thus enabling BURST mode

I have found that you will need to select NO CACHE on WHDLoad tool types for WHDLoad games to function properly.

I hope that helps

lol does that mean i was sort of right?:lol:

=)

kinda

=D

Uncle_Meat
27th March 2012, 14:26
HDToolBox will tell you your mask, and this determines what memory the SCSI controller uses as a buffer. I was reading up on this a few days ago...

*shakes dust out of memory*

Example being, if your mask is set to use chipmem as a buffer, it'll be *so much* slow. 24 bit space DMA faster, but local 32-bit on your card, fastest of all.

I *think* that's right.. :)

dougal
27th March 2012, 16:07
The version of gvpscsi.device on the 040 is 4.12 according to "version gvpscsi.device"

I did enable burst mode :)

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

HDtoolbox does not work with the GVP

I had prepped it using the disk that came with the HC8+

alexh
27th March 2012, 16:16
The latest version of HDToolbox should work if correctly configured. (i.e. you point it to the correct SCSI driver).

FYI you can get the disk for the 040 combo from here (Not saying it is any use to you, I'd say use HDTool box in OS3.9 BB2)

http://www.gvp-m.com/updatejapan.html#Installdisks

I doubt you'd see much difference between 4.12 and 4.15 PLUS :

http://babel.de/amiga.html#gvp

Note: Yes, SCSI on GVP accelerators typically is slower than on-board transfers on GVP Zorro-II hard cards.

BlindGerMan
27th March 2012, 16:32
HDToolBox worked fine on my G-Force 030, which has the same SCSI Controller! :)

So there must be a way...

alexh
27th March 2012, 16:47
AFAIK you just edit the icon and add the SCSI driver name?

Zetr0
27th March 2012, 16:54
AFAIK you just edit the icon and add the SCSI driver name?

Thats the way I do it =)

BlindGerMan
27th March 2012, 18:22
I did it the same way! :)

442_Mike
30th August 2013, 19:26
Hi!

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I've got the exact same hardware and am facing the same dilema. I've had a couple threads going over on a.org for a while and while I've tried many things, still haven't come up with a solution.

I've got both the GeForce 040 and a HC8+. The SCSI on the GeForce is so slooow (just like Babel verified on his website), I'd love to use the faster SCSI controller on the HC8+ with my drives but am struggling getting them to play nice together.

I've tried removing the ROM as was suggested on this thread, and all sorts of different jumper combinations, but no love. While occasionally I'm able to get into a "no startup-sequence" boot, the system is very unstable. More often than not I get garbled requesters like the attached photo when even trying to boot Workbench.

I'm assuming based on comments here that it is *possible* for these devices to coexist together, which I was thinking might not be possible given they share the same board and hardware ID #'s.

Any suggestions? Thanks!! :)

442_Mike
30th August 2013, 23:10
Disregard the above, looks like I had some bad ram in the HC8+. Further testing is in order! :roll: