PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Sega Saturn Questions :)

fitzsteve
27th March 2012, 23:48
Having aquired a Japanese Saturn I've got a couple of questions :oops:

It wont be with me for a couple of months since it's coming via Sea mail but I'm wondering if I will be able to play my PAL games collection on it since I have an Action replay plus :)

Anyone know if they will work?

I might well get it chipped at some point but I have a nice collection of genuine games so thats not a priority.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

keropi
27th March 2012, 23:57
yes they will work, like ntsc ones work on my pal saturn :)
nice one fitzsteve, ntsc is the way to go!

slk486
28th March 2012, 00:01
Unoptimized pal games will run exactly like their ntsc counterparts (ie. proper speed), but the pal optimized games will not run properly and/or conseal part of the screen. I'll dig out the list I have tomorrow if I remember it:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fitzsteve
28th March 2012, 08:19
Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Lookin' forward to my new Saturn when it arrives :cool:

alexh
28th March 2012, 08:30
FYI Jap consoles don't work with PAL RGB SCART cables (http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/ntsc-saturn-scart.htm).

ami_junki
28th March 2012, 09:43
Also there is a "kind" of easy mod that you can do to add a switch at the back and flip between regions, useful in cases where you need to use a memory card or ram expansion. I tried it myself of on my other Saturns but I managed to b*gger the board :( I think I still have loads of wire and switches if you want me to send some to you lol

alexh
28th March 2012, 09:48
Also there is a "kind" of easy mod that you can do to add a switch at the back and flip between regions, useful in cases where you need to use a memory card or ram expansion.
Or use an Action Replay 4M Plus which is a RAM expansion, Memory Card and Action Replay?

If you're going to do any mods to a Saturn these days you'd fit a region free BIOS chip. (http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/saturn-regionfree.htm)

ami_junki
28th March 2012, 09:52
Oh yes I had forgotten about those, that would work nicely as well but the region free mod chip definitely looks like its the way to go, wish I could do that for my other Saturn but there is no way that I could take of the chip and re-solder it like that :oops:

fitzsteve
28th March 2012, 09:56
Yeah I have the Action Replay 4M Plus, that's what I use on my current Saturn to play NTSC Games :)

My TV is very good with Composite Input so should give me a nice dispay with the RCA leads anyway :cool:

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

slk486
28th March 2012, 10:45
Pal rgb cables may not be compatible, but you can still get rgb out of it just fine, so don't go composite on all that great pixelart the saturn offers... Please... :)

slk486
31st March 2012, 02:23
Just remembered :)

http://shining3master.fortunecity.com/titles.html

AmiNeo
31st March 2012, 08:03
Oh yes I had forgotten about those, that would work nicely as well but the region free mod chip definitely looks like its the way to go, wish I could do that for my other Saturn but there is no way that I could take of the chip and re-solder it like that :oops:

Use wire cutters to snip the current one off and solder the new one onto the legs maybe? :unsure:

Need to get my Saturn rigged as well at some point. Still dont have any TV cables or pads for it yet :lol: