PDA

View Full Version : Floppy drive clicking. external drives... and such.

Mendel
29th March 2012, 07:55
You either love or hate the constant floppy drive clicking that happens even when there is no floppy in the drive. I have recently installed classicwb39 and it comes with a fix for this... but at least for me it just sort of makes the clicking a little less loud instead of eliminating it. Is it supposed to make the floppy drive silent when there is no disk?

I have ended up taking the cables off of the drive to make my desktop A1200 totally silent. No fans, no moving parts because the hard driver is a cf card, and the 68060 can be passively cooled at 50MHz. Itīs very elegant... but it is also a bit pain in the ass to open the case if and when I need to read or write a floppy... also there is a danger of losing the cables to the eternal mess of my computing room.

Question: Would an external drive solve all my problems? (well it wouldnīt clean up my room, now would it :) Letīs phrase that again... Can an external floppy drive do everything that internal drive can? Boot from floppy being the main feature needed. I guess it would be easier to remove and attach again as needed.

kronuz
29th March 2012, 08:42
Hi.
Does your 1200 have a chinon-drive ? my clicking went away with OS3.9.

I read something about doing something in order to boot from DF1:....don't remember :/

Justin
29th March 2012, 08:48
there is an app called NoClick on Aminet that works very well:thumbsup:

AmiNeo
29th March 2012, 08:52
Best of my knowledge, external drives click too. At least mine does :lol:

Mendel
29th March 2012, 09:02
Hi.
I read something about doing something in order to boot from DF1:....don't remember :/

If I have the internal drive removed, canīt the external drive be DF0 then?

Best of my knowledge, external drives click too. At least mine does

But less hassle to plug them off, right? I hope it keeps clicking while plugged off though, I would then just proceed to call a physics professor and claim my nobel prize for floppy drive with included infinite energy mystery creator.

kronuz
29th March 2012, 21:17
The noclick is not working 100% with ALL drives, but it does on my chinon...not even a sound. Can't remember about my externals....and no way to test now.

If you google around, I'm sure you'll find something about terminating the df1 as df0. have seen in documented somewhere on the webz last year :)
If you are able to do that, and the drive is of another make/model, then it should work:thumbsup:

tokyoracer
29th March 2012, 22:06
Best of my knowledge, external drives click too. At least mine does :lol:
They all do its to do with the Amiga and how it detects disks as you may know already. However alot of external drives are of various makes often used much quieter drives sometimes almost silent with the clicking.

TheCorfiot
29th March 2012, 22:18
Why not just shove a blank formatted floppy in tbe drive and then just ignore it.

TC :lol:

kronuz
29th March 2012, 22:21
Less is more :thumbsup:

Mendel
30th March 2012, 11:36
Why not just shove a blank formatted floppy in tbe drive and then just ignore it.

TC :lol:

Why didn't I think of that. Iīll try and see if there is any downside to that whatsoever...

Seems like thatīll do as a solution. It very quickly checks for a floppy during bootups and it makes a sound for a second but even the booting isnīt really delayed. I guess Iīll dedicate a disk as a drive silencer :D

AmiNeo
30th March 2012, 11:43
Hi.

If I have the internal drive removed, canīt the external drive be DF0 then?

Best of my knowledge, external drives click too. At least mine does

But less hassle to plug them off, right? I hope it keeps clicking while plugged off though, I would then just proceed to call a physics professor and claim my nobel prize for floppy drive with included infinite energy mystery creator.

:lol: