PDA

View Full Version : NTSC A1000 games?

woodycool
30th March 2012, 20:31
Hi all,

I have an NTSC A1000 with 256kb onboard and 256kb 'Ranger' RAM installed in the front. I have Kickstart disks 0.7beta, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4alpha.

Anyway, the question is ...... is there a list of 100% known compatible games with an NTSC A1000 (OCS)?

I live in PAL-land (UK) and finding not many of my games play correctly (they crash, display graphical glitches or just play weirdly)

Thanks all

quarkx
30th March 2012, 21:44
I know I can't really be of much help. 99% of all the games I play on the 1K are NTSC. I have a special "PAL Boot" disk to play the very few (under 5) Pal games, but I have never used them, so I don't even know if it works, The few PAL games I tried on my 600, I just booted into PAL mode by the early start menu in the 3.1 ROMS.

woodycool
1st April 2012, 08:41
I have a special "PAL Boot" disk to play the very few (under 5) Pal games
Does this work on the A1K? I was under the conclusion that being as the A1K is OCS, that PAL/NTSC could not be switched in software .... please correct me if I'm wrong

The few PAL games I tried on my 600, I just booted into PAL mode by the early start menu in the 3.1 ROMS.
I wish Kickstart earlier than 3.0 had that feature (even 2.0 doesn't have PAL/NTSC switch in early startup control)

rkauer
2nd April 2012, 02:13
No way to change NTSC to PAL resolutions/video modes on the A1000, the thin Agnus (and the earlier 8370/8371 found on 1.2 ROM Amigas) are tied to PAL OR NTSC.

A PAL booter will do nothing on those machines.

quarkx
2nd April 2012, 02:45
like I said, I have no Idea, but what rkauer says make sense, if you look, the PAL machine has a completely different motherboard than the NTSC. The NTSC even has a daughter board on it. where as all the other Amiga's have identical motherboards, other than a few chip difference's and clocks, the rest are Identical

rkauer
2nd April 2012, 03:06
Yeah, I remember the (not so) good old days when a friend have an old 1.2 A500: it doesn't support PAL booter (an usual diskette tool for us, NTSC users) that was mandatory to use PAL games & softwares.