PDA

View Full Version : I've took the plunge - My New PC

imnogeek
22nd July 2009, 21:17
Yep, after much consideration I have decided to build a new PC for myself. No I don't really need it but I have been hankering after a quad for ages now.
So here is the order which should be with me in the morning and photos will follow:)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz (FSB 1333MHz) Socket 775 L2 12MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L iP45 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Microsoft Windows Vista Business w/SP1 - W/ Windows 7 Upgrade Offer Form - licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit -

Sony AD-7200S 20X DVD±RW/DL/RAM Internal SATA Bare Black Drive - OEM

2 x Maxtor 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM

Coolermaster Elite 330 Black Mid Tower Case - No PSU

Corsair 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Kit CL5 1.8v

Coolermaster 460W eXtreme Power Plus PSU - 20+4pin 4+4 ATX12v 4x SATA 6pin PCI-E

Enlight Black 26-in-1 Internal 3.5" Card Reader - Retail Boxed

2 x Startech Latching SATA Cable M/M - Straight 24"

Graphics... I am going to use a 256MB PCIE card I have in stock for the moment but will replace it with an Nvidia Quadro when I can find on at the right price.

Will it all fit together? will I fry the cpu? Have I forgot something? only time will tell :mrgreen:

Gary

jujasi
22nd July 2009, 21:56
Not bad set-up there :)

I built my own quad core 2 weeks ago going down the AMD route am3 Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2ghz, 8 GB ram DDR3 @1333mhz, on an ASUS M4a79T Deluxe,only 1 TB of disk space for me ( I thought it would be enough for now ).
I managed to fleabay an NVidia XFX GTX 280 XXX @690mhz for £200

All in a Silverstone HTPC case

r0jaws
22nd July 2009, 22:37
Nice bit of kit there chap, which limb did you pan on lopping off to pay for all that? :wink:

[Edit]

Crikey! Just noticed the 8Gbs of RAM! What on earth are you planning on running that needs 8Gbs of RAM? :shock:

[Double Edit]

That's why, you're installing Vista. At least you'll have about 512Mb left over for your apps then. :thumbsup2:

imnogeek
23rd July 2009, 00:50
Don't want Vista, but will live with it for a few months.
I have ordered Vista with the upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out 22 October.

My laptop is dual 2.0 Ghz with 3Gb RAM on XP Pro and I have been running it now for a couple of months with no Swap file; wonder if Vista will let me do the same??

Gary
[attachment=0:3sgqbh2t]smiley_pacman.gif[/attachment:3sgqbh2t]
:) :)

scrappysphinx
23rd July 2009, 01:39
off topic, but i pre-ordered windows 7 from pcworld last week. Just went for the home edition for £45 inc p&p but didn't think it was too bad.

Mike

imnogeek
23rd July 2009, 11:37
No piccys today I'm afraid, Just had my first let down..

"I am sorry but your order has had a problem, I can offer you delivery tommorrow and reduce the price of the postage" :****ed: :evil:

New delivery time Friday 6.00 to 7.00 AM Looks like I gotta be up early in the morning.

Kin Hell
24th July 2009, 21:10
Nice Rig gary. Can I ask what it's primary function is for?

Kin

imnogeek
26th July 2009, 20:59
Nice Rig gary. Can I ask what it's primary function is for?
I use it as a workhorse for my business, it rarely gets turned off, File server for the xbox and another PC in the house, dumping the contents of other people HDD when recovering data, Virus checking other peoples drives, internet and office stuff, photoshop.. the list goes on.
A typical day would have me attaching a customers HDD, taking owneship of it and transfering/virus checking 80GB of data, I may also do some invoicing, Remote access another customers pc whilst I am waiting.

Anyway I have finished building her and the piccys are below..
[attachment=3:1r61i7xc]front.jpg[/attachment:1r61i7xc][attachment=2:1r61i7xc]Back.jpg[/attachment:1r61i7xc][attachment=1:1r61i7xc]Inside_1024.jpg[/attachment:1r61i7xc]
This is how I have set it up..
Vista on 1Tb drive with a 1TB backup/storage drive, I work from C drive and overnight I backup all data to the 2nd drive with the exception of My Photo's, Music and Videos; these are on c: drive and on a 250Gb drive, the 250 gb is set for sharing but with read access only and then I sychronize them each night.

Not without problems though I had forgot to order a floppy drive (yes I still need one for customer stuff)
Diskeeper 2008 pro does not work with drives above 749 GB :evil:
I cannot apply the HP updates for printer, or update Memory map, or install activesync without getting a BSOD with a memory_management error :****ed: :****ed:
[attachment=0:1r61i7xc]bsod.jpg[/attachment:1r61i7xc]

r0jaws
26th July 2009, 21:28
...Diskeeper 2008 pro does not work with drives above 749 GB :evil: ....

Very nice Rig there chap, and with all the work you'll be doing on it, a necessary upgrade.
Could you not just drop the partition sizes in order to keep Diskeeper happy? Or does it just freak because of the whole drive regardless of the partition table?
I use Defraggler myself, but I have to say not on any drives 500Gb+.

imnogeek
27th July 2009, 00:10
Could you not just drop the partition sizes in order to keep Diskeeper happy? Or does it just freak because of the whole drive regardless of the partition table?
I think it is just the partition size, I will get on to them and see if there is an update as I do like the program.

I have solved the activesync problem.. when I tried to install it again tonight it complained that it does not run on vista and to get winows mobile device centre instead, why it blue screeened the first time instead of a warning I don't know :nuts: anyway just a couple of issues now and I'm sorted.

Zetr0
27th July 2009, 04:41
WHOOHOO

great to see you up and running on a new rig m8y.... my sympathies with the Vista Ecentricies though.... heres to windows 7!!!

(imma stickin with XP for the moe.....)

Kin Hell
27th July 2009, 18:47
Nice one Gary. She should serve you well.

Kin

imnogeek
27th July 2009, 21:23
downloaded an upgrade for diskeeper an all works well now :)
looks like windows installer may be causing the BSOD so will be trying latest version later.

Harrison
28th July 2009, 01:41
Yep, nice setup.

Only question is the PSU. Is 460W strong enough? I think if you upgrade the graphics card you might need to consider a more powerful one. And you definitely will if you stick a Quadro in there. They use over 100W idling, and can shoot over 300W under load.

Not far off my own recent build back in March. Quad core CPU, 8GB ram etc...

For PSU I have a Thermaltake Toughpower modular 750W unit.

And for GPU I wouldn't waste your money on a Quadro FX card. They are not worth the money unless you are going to be doing a lot of CAD or large polygon 3D modelling and live preview render work. I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB card and it is the best graphics card I've owned to date. Very stable and currently runs any game I've thrown at it with maxed out settings with a consistent 60fps+ Plus I use this card for design, video and 3D work and it functions brilliantly. 3DSMax performs very nicely, Photoshop CS4 with GPU acceleration on is fast without any issues, After Effects and Combustion perform very nicely etc... So if the reason you were considering a Quadro was for Photoshop I don't think it is worth it.

And you can currently buy an ATI Radeon 4890 1GB card for £150 which is a huge bargain. Anyone looking to upgrade their graphics card should seriously look at these at the moment.

Harrison
28th July 2009, 01:49
downloaded an upgrade for diskeeper an all works well now :)
looks like windows installer may be causing the BSOD so will be trying latest version later.

Yes, I can confirm I encountered a problem with Windows Installer being unstable in Vista. I updated to the latest version and it fixed all such issues.

Have you updated Vista to SP2? If not I recommend it as it contains a lot of bug fixes.

Kin Hell
28th July 2009, 15:30
I must be honest, I also thought the PSU was a little under powered. I didn't want to say at the time, for fear of appearing rude. :oops:
It's probably on the edge with a 256Mb PCIe affair already, so don't think you can just chuck a 4870 in there & it will all be dandy. You won't have enough 12v Amperage, easy as. If you could do a swap out with your supplier, now is the time. :wink:
Hard drives will also hammer your PSU to bits.

Kin

Zetr0
28th July 2009, 16:41
@Kinnie / Harrison

AFAIK, our dear imnogeek is a power user not a gamer so, should be safe with the 450 PSU...

BUT should that a change of heart happen and he realize all that power was really ment for gaming (the way Gia intended) yeah.... gonna need alteast a 600....

But sod the ATI 48xx series.... you can get better performance and lower power usage on the Nvidia side at the moment... ofcourse these things can change as often they do... it seems almost seaonal at times :)

:beer: :beer: heres to another fine build :D

imnogeek
28th July 2009, 17:36
I must admit on buying the PSU I nearky went for bigger but as Zetr0 says I'm no gamer andby previous experience thought I would get away with it.
The system I have replaced (soon to appear on Amibay ;) ) has a 600 watt, it is a Dual core AMD 64 and 2GB RAM but it was running 6 sata II drives (four in a Raid array) 2 DVD Drives.

I may get a new PSU when I get the graphics card just to be safe.

The graphics cards I am looking at are based on Photoshop CS4 reccomendations for compatability.

All the blues screens have gone :insert crossed fingers smiley here and was an issue with windows installer. I am now cooking on gas :)

Gary

Kin Hell
28th July 2009, 18:50
@ Zetr0

Fully aware of ing's intentions for this rig, but 480W is no where near safely hitting the rig with a fancy graphics card.

@ ing

That 600W PSU must have been screaming it's Ass clean off with 6 hard drives hanging off it. :shock: Four in RAID too you petrol head. :D

Seriously though, I've eaten how many 550W PSU's for running RAID configs on Antec & Enermax 550W PSU's, with only 4 or 5 hard drives. Hard drives require 15 to 20W & whilst this amount is small compared to a CPU or a GPU, they hammer the PSU's a lot harder.
RE another graphics card at a later date, look around at the time for sure, but seriously consider nVidia over ATI. Their Hardware & Driver software now fully support CUDA, meaning you get a better bang for your buck with Multi-Core CPU's. Toss several GPU's into the equation & you're going to see things you never thought possible. Depending on which graphics card you go for, will of course depend on what size PSU you should go for. You'll also need to allow an overhead too & if you do something great like buy a GTX285 or better still, a GTX295 :mrgreen: ,
seiously consider either a Tagan or a PC P&C affair. The PC P&C PSU's don't budge on their Rails, no matter what you hang off them & are reasonably priced, even in the 750W zone. Afaik, OCZ now own PC P&C (PC Power & Cooling)

All the best m8y,

Kin

rkauer
28th July 2009, 20:10
That's one thing I love in SCSI drives: they have the motor delay jumper to make them start one at a time, sparing the power supply from get down on its knees on boot time (and allowing a modest PSU to run more devices).

Harrison
30th July 2009, 16:39
CUDA is a very interesting technology, especially for encoding and rendering work. However, I personally don't see CUDA lasting. Anything that relies on proprietary hardware to function tends to be a bit of a fad for a couple of years, but then eventually is doomed to fail. ATI also have a very similar technology called ATI Stream, and in software which supports both it shows it is better load balanced than CUDA. In one of the only applications that currently supports both, Expresso, CUDA seems to continue to bash the CPU cores at the same time as the GPU, whereas ATI Steam doesn't, and yet ATI stream still completes the task in the same time.

Eventually such GPU processing will have to become more standardised and not a graphics card maker specific technology, because otherwise these exciting technologies will be in danger of dying. Many games and software developers won't code for something that can only be accessed by those with the correct card installed.

At the moment it is true that CUDA is seeing more support than ATI Stream in software. However I would like to see more support in the heavyweight 3D rendering and video software markets. They would benefit much more than the home or gaming markets ever would from such technology.

Powerpie5000
3rd August 2009, 03:06
I also agree with the PSU comment by Harrison and the others.... i used to have a Cooler Master "Extreme Power Plus" 460W psu with a core 2 duo system and it blew just by adding a single Radeon 4850 :( It should be ok as long as you don't use a big power consuming GPU... such as that quadro!
When mine blew i read a couple of reviews and apparantly it can't even reach the 460W total output :blink: The Coolermaster "Real Power" series are not too bad.

I would seriously think about changing that PSU if you are to get a serious GPU :nod:

Harrison
6th August 2009, 18:17
No PSU can reach their actual rating. That is a peak rating and not one under continuous load. It is also only ever a rough guide to the overall strength of a PSU. The total Watts rating of a PSU is the combined total maximum output power for all the voltages that PSU can provide. Not what it can deliver on any single output voltage level.

If you want to know what a PSU can really deliver then you need to study the PSU's output specifications label and do some calculations. For DC current you just multiply the Voltage with the current it can supply (Amps) to work out what that outputs maximum power level in Watts will be.

So for example.

+12V with Maximum current (Amps) of 12A would deliver a maximum power output of 12x12 = 144W.

Therefore it is more important to look at the PSU label and see the Amps rating for each Voltage output to get a true picture of the strength of a PSU.

rkauer
6th August 2009, 19:12
...And nowadays computers need the 5 & 3.3V rails with lots of "juice". Never buy a PSU with less than 20A on the 5V and 30~40A on the 3.3V lines.

Harrison
7th August 2009, 01:35
That is true. It is the 5V and 3.3V rails that supply the CPU. Basically you are looking for an output of around at least 100W for each of these rails.

rkauer
7th August 2009, 03:06
In fact, drop any PSU that don't supply at least 30A on the +5V rail. Lots of PCI boards needs them (not PCI-e, CPU or AGP which are 3.3V or less).

RedDaemonFox
19th August 2009, 21:18
but not all, as some newer PCI's use the 3.3v rail