PDA

View Full Version : Do I need the Mediator ...

bebek
31st March 2012, 23:38
I have almost finished and closed a lid on my Amiga 4000D:

Cyberstorm MKII-060 / 128MB
Mediator MKII with SB128, Voodoo3
Indivision
FastATA MKV
DenebUSB

and there is a question: Do I really need the Mediator ???

I mean, all I use it for is Voodoo and SB128, do not intend to use PCI Spider USB or PCI network card (there is no more space anyway as one slot is taken by Indi and another by Deneb USB.
If I want sound card I can always connect USB one to Deneb, can't I? Same with network?
That leaves us with Voodoo card ... will I loose a lot if I replace it with CV64 or CV64/3D? What will I loose ? Is it a big graphic speed difference ?
I loved my Mediator for a while but looks like Deneb can almost replace it. I am not a heavy user, I can even say I am hardly a user :).

I hate it when it happens as have to leave the lid off for longer ...

Please let me know what you think about this.

TheCorfiot
31st March 2012, 23:45
Well you can always let me have it :lol:

bebek
31st March 2012, 23:48
Well you can always let me have it :lol:

Would you rather have Mediator or Deneb ?

Kawazu
The only thing you need the voodoo for is the higher resolutions in WB with less slowdowns.

To use the voodoo for its full potential i would say you need a CSPPC so you can play some GLQuake and other "heavy" games.

I asked myself the same question 2 days ago, but then i rememberd the slow WB i had when i ran 1280x1024 resolution. Dont want to go back to that :)

fitzsteve
The usb stack slows the system down, so if you want to use network or sound in 3D games like quake you won't have the same speed, also warp3d will be lost if you drop the mediator. I also think PCI nic and sound will be more reliable in Amiga os than the usb varients, I say stick with the mediator unless you really want to go back to pure zorro setup to keep classic, I've done this with my A4000D :-)
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-gb; HTC_DesireHD Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

bebek
31st March 2012, 23:57
I do not care about Doom and Quake on Amiga, be honest and let the dream die :). No CS PPC in my A4000, decided that it is not reliable, overpriced and old piece of hardware that can go faulty any second with no chance for repair - not for me. Looks like slow workbench can be an issue. 1024/768 is enough for me but want it to be smooth ... but is it noticeable?And there is a heat issue, voodoo and MACH ic's hot hot hot :).

Are there nice demos that use warp3d and no PPC ?

roy_bates
1st April 2012, 00:17
as for needing the mediator thats totally up to you,if you look hard enough you can get zorro based grathics and sound cards every now and then but they are a bit expensive.

i havent seen any demos that take advantage of war3d to be honest,if there are please someone point me in that direction:)

bebek
1st April 2012, 00:26
as for needing the mediator thats totally up to you,if you look hard enough you can get zorro based grathics and sound cards every now and then but they are a bit expensive.

i havent seen any demos that take advantage of war3d to be honest,if there are please someone point me in that direction:)

I have a RTG and sold all sound cards as can see no reason to have them nowadays anyway. All I need to do is to setup both RTG (voodoo and CV64) and see if the difference in speed is visible.
Would DENEB and fastATA work better in pure Zorro environment (DMA etc) ?

fitzsteve
1st April 2012, 09:41
My cv64/3d is very quick at 1024x768 but only on 16bit, if you like to use 24bit workbench at high res stick with the voodoo. Yes the deneb will work better in DMA as the CPU is used for USB functions in pio mode, the deneb takes care of that in DMA mode :-)
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-gb; HTC_DesireHD Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1