Ya' Like it Retr0?
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Country
UK
Region
Norfolk
Hello my fellow AmiBay'ers

I have been working away and have redesigned an old favourite the Humble 8bit IDE Adapter for the spectrum +3e.

However this time I wanted to make a universal version - so that with very little effort this small adapter board could be configured for both the much loved +3e and Pera Putnik's IDE interfaces.

Here are the new Adapters

In comparrison to the old Adapter

So other than the colour here is how they differ

(click to zoom)

So why have two different modes of opperation?

Well simply put I wanted to make an adapter that would work for all spectrum models from the humble 48k right upto the +3 - since the thought of a Compact Flash being used as a Harddrive is a really delicious thought indeed!

If you are new to the notion of an IDE interface for your spectrum - here is what you need to know.

With a combination of ROM(s) and Adapter you can install a Harddisk device for read and write purposes on your Sinclair Spectum home micro. Depending on what model you want will determin what ROM(s) you will need and the Adapter setting.

At the moment the adapter being sold here has been tested under +3e ROM and Pera's wonderful 8bitCF+3e ROM (granting full capacity through CF card)

there are limitations to both of these implementations -

Standard 8Bit +3e
With the standard 8bit +3e at the moment it can be a chor to get data to the device, also you only get half the capacity, so if you hooked up a hard disk device with 2GB of storage on it, you would only be able to use 1GB of it.... Currently on my +3e I have a 3.3GB Microdrive hardisk with 1.67GB of Space... I think thats everything on the Spectrum ever... lol

This has the benfit of working with all non-atapi IDE devices - infact I was having fun with this hooked up this morning.

Pera's 8Bit CF +3e
The only limitation here is that this device will only work with a CF card that is forced into 8bit Memory Mode. Now this can be done by modifying a CF to IDE Adapter - infact I plan to make a bundle of these in the near future.

Because the device is doing all the work, once the CF card is pluged into the PC its back in 16bits again, and then you can use 3estrowsaw10 to drag and drop files onto the disk.

Theres more to come (with some youtube demo's *as there always is*)

but this little adapter can be yours for just £14.99 + postage.

Obviously you will need to update your Spectrum's ROM's - to this end I can help you out by programming you a set of ROM's (pending on your implemenation) - however - I have currently run out of Programmable ROM's (I have some more comming, alas boats from China seem to take an age =( )

In the mean time, I am happy to program your ROM(s) FREE that you send me - such that you provide a prepaid self address envelope =)

please wait uploading youtubes...

Hi!

Not interested, as I bought you the previous version, and I wish to thank you for improve this fantastic piece of hardware :)

It works like a charm!

Regards.

So this will work on my grey +2 also? This is great news indeed, you are the man Zetr0!

Please put me up for one pronto! (y)

PM sent!

Last edited:
Hi there Zetr0,

I'm still impressed with the one I got last time but a spare one for putting into another +3 would always come in handy :)

PM on its way (y)

Hi Zetro!

just to confirm, will this version work with a 48k and how much of it will fit in a standard 48k case ? :)

if it works... awesome. I have a 48k board ready to unsolder the z80, would pera's rom /cf be the one to use? if so which eprom would i need to post you too ?

cheers! Cant wait to see what other systems you apply this to in future as well btw! looks v cool.

:) :)

Iain

I take it I could use one of these in a grey +2?
How easy is it to fit? also, I assume I'd need a +3e ROM?

Interested in one for my +3e... PM on its way.

Will need to investigate Pera's 8Bit CF setup, sounds interesting :)

Hi Zetro,

Also interested - PM on it's way. I've got a working +3e now but am also interested in making a pera putnik version (so I'd be interested in a modified CF adaptor when they become available too!).
I can't thank you enough for all your work that's gone into making these devices and improving them.

Tim

@Update

Sorry for the delay in updating the threads here guys been somewhat under the weather with a wonderful head/cold flu thingy... I seem to be suseptible to them these days =(

Anyway some info

The IDE adapter here is universal in that it can be configured as a standard +3e adapter OR as a Pera Putnik's varient which uses 3 different CPU Address for access to the IDE bus.

both vairents need ROM's, Pera's version has ROM's for the 48k / 128k and the +2e/3e varients

Adding an IDE device to anything but a +2AB (Black +2) or +3 is a little more involved, with the 48k / 48k+ and the 128k you will need to desolder the CPU and add a socket (not the 128k +2 Grey).

You can find out more of Piters work here

Besides this adapter what extra do we need to start playing from the CF card ? Only suitable roms ?

Let's say we have a +3.

Besides this adapter what extra do we need to start playing from the CF card ? Only suitable roms ?

Let's say we have a +3.

pretty much - the +3 is very easy to use,

I prepare the harddrive on the target +3 and then copy it using driveimage (drvimg) and make a HDF of the drive.

From that I plumb it into emulators and copy the files I want from there =)

I have made some simple movie / demos that I need to update... when I get caught up I will upload them and link them here, my latest setup has a games menu with a choice of over 70 game titles to choose. I am working with nuggetreggae's setup and that has over 4,000 games / demo's and more!!

So theres lots to show and share... if anyone has a magic wand to add a few more hours to the day (like another 48 hours) then I would be most humble =)

Thank you, Keith for the info! And thanks for making a great adapter! It is really amazing to have a hard drive in a Spectrum!

@wmsteele

I am truly sorry I missed the PM, let me go have a look

Oh crikey!

theres a few of them!!!!

And theres me thinking it was just love letters from mjnurney

Keith i would like one too please.

Can you lead me somewhere to find the apprpriate roms for this in order to be fully operational ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom