PDA

View Full Version : Getting online via ShapeShifter

fitzsteve
2nd April 2012, 22:17
Yo peeps,

Wonder if anyone here has experience getting online via Netscape with ShapeShifter :coffee:

I've got ShapeShifter (Cammy's install of macOS 7.6.1) all up and running on my A4000T with seems to run smooth and stable on my 66mhz CSMkII :bowdown:

Next step after playing some games is to get online with Netscape, I've downloaded the latest Netscape which works with System 7 (ver3.04) and installed that, it loads up but can't connect to the Internet.

I've set X-Surf.Device as my Network adapter in the ShapeShifter prefs and I've tried having an active connection with MiamiDX in the background (as expected does not work) and I have tried using the TCP/IP settings within MacOS, I've tried DCHP and manual settings to no avail, it complains about no host and DNS :(

Any idea's?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Steve.

Xanxi
2nd April 2012, 22:28
On my different miggys, there is no problem to connect with Shapeshifter, but i can't be connected with the amiga stack and the MAC TCP/IP stack at the same time. Cammy uses a software to route the amiga connexion to the emulated Mac, but i find simplier to not launch Miami/Genesis on the amiga side when i connect from the Mac. You just have to set up IP/DNS/Gateway or DHCP the right way for your network.

Concerning Netscape, this browser is now severly outdated and its security certificates do not work anymore. This means you won't even be able to log in GMail. Netscape usually crashes the system very fast too. IE 3 is even worse. ICab is a bit more modern but still not very good. IMHO, browsing the web with IBrowse is still a much better experience.
Connecting the mac may still be useful for some FTPing though.

Be sure to activate Apple Talk (or whatever it is called) within the Mac menu, even if you have set up the TCP/IP parameters.

lostrego
2nd April 2012, 22:33
Here is what you are looking for:

http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/vlink

Mind that is not easy to get it going, I've managed to get it running on my 4000+xsurf but I had to tweak some settings on my router (get a subnet going or some such) but i don't remember exactly.

Regards. :)

Xanxi
2nd April 2012, 23:06
Vlink is not needed if you are not connecting the amiga tcp ip stack at the same time. Why would anyone do that anyway?

fitzsteve
2nd April 2012, 23:11
Thanks for the info guys, I'll try again and lookout for the extra settings :)

lostrego
2nd April 2012, 23:16
Vlink is not needed if you are not connecting the amiga tcp ip stack at the same time. Why would anyone do that anyway?

On its day I've used it in this way to have i.e. IRC on Amiga side and a bit better browser on mac side rather than the Ibrowse 1.1 of that years, using the best of both worlds and all multitasking nicely. :)

But yes you are right as It gets things way more complicated, and today would not make much sense as we all use a PC for all of the above.:lol:

salaxi54
3rd April 2012, 14:51
Steve, what have you typed in the Network Settings Network driver window?
If you just typed the name of your network device (eg X-Surf.device), then it's a no-go. You would have to type or select the whole path to it: DEVS:Networks/X-Surf.device

Mendel
3rd April 2012, 17:07
Just in case it is just a dns problem, do you get an ip address and if so, can you ping ip addresses? like say your router or your isps dns server address.