PDA

View Full Version : Whdload games requiring 1.1MB chipram

dougal
3rd April 2012, 19:40
This is really annoying.

Cannon Fodder & Wizkid, two of my favorite Amiga games refuse to run on my A2000 because it has 1Mb of chipram and Whdload requires 1.1MB for these two games to run.

There is no way i'm going to bother running the floppy disk versions of them. That would be stupid considering I have a hard drive, an 040 and 16MB fastram.

I tried a program called memdoubler which enabled me to have a fake 2MB, 4MB or 6MB chipram but Whdload is stupid and still only sees the 1MB chipram.

Is there any way to get these games to run ? Nobody on earth seems to have a mini mega chip or dkb megachip for sale.

FOL
3rd April 2012, 19:42
This is really annoying.

Cannon Fodder & Wizkid, two of my favorite Amiga games refuse to run on my A2000 because it has 1Mb of chipram and Whdload requires 1.1MB for these two games to run.

There is no way i'm going to bother running the floppy disk versions of them. That would be stupid considering I have a hard drive, an 040 and 16MB fastram.

I tried a program called memdoubler which enabled me to have a fake 2MB, 4MB or 6MB chipram but Whdload is stupid and still only sees the 1MB chipram.

Is there any way to get these games to run ? Nobody on earth seems to have a mini mega chip or dkb megachip for sale.

hehe I was trying the same thing, it wont work, :(.
If WHDLoad says it wants 1MB - 2MB Chip, then it wants that and theres nothign you can do about it, unless you upgrade your chipram, :(.

mjnurney
3rd April 2012, 19:45
upgrade to 2mb chip (Amigakit do one) i used the NTSC chip mod. then i can select NTSC or PAL

:-)

dougal
3rd April 2012, 19:51
upgrade to 2mb chip (Amigakit do one) i used the NTSC chip mod. then i can select NTSC or PAL

:-)

I believe they no longer have them in stock :(

WHen you say select NTSC to PAL, do you mean by the early startup menu ?

When i upgraded my Agnus to the 1MB one it turned my A2000 into NTSC by default. I looked up a guide which advised me to cut a trace or set a jumper or both (i forgot) which forced it to default PAL again. The Agnus must have been an NTSC one for some reason.

Anyway with this mod i did will it keep the 'forced' PAL as default even with the 2MB adapter which i think amigakit no longer have ?

---------- Post added at 20:51 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

hehe I was trying the same thing, it wont work, :(.
If WHDLoad says it wants 1MB - 2MB Chip, then it wants that and theres nothign you can do about it, unless you upgrade your chipram, :(.

Whdload is stupid because iirc Wizkid even runs on 512K Amigas from floppy and i know Cannon Fodder worked fine on my 1MB A500 plus back in the day.

AmiNeo
3rd April 2012, 19:54
Trouble is WHDLoad needs memory for itself before running the games, and once you have workbench loaded you're already down to about 750kb. You dont usually have to boot workbench before loading a game either.

mjnurney
3rd April 2012, 19:54
Whdload uses slave files for fast loading and that uses ram. try using AGlaunch or classic workbench and right click the mouse at boot and select - low mem boot (or did i make that up :-) ) well something like that

Whdload isn't stupid its a very clever bit of programming.

Uncle_Meat
3rd April 2012, 19:56
Is this no good for you?

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=24956

It's been lurking for sale for a few months now.

dougal
3rd April 2012, 22:15
I don't think its any good for an A2000 and i'd have to solder something i believe.

My best bet is to find a 2MB chipram megchip thingy which seems impossible to find. I've trawled amibay, the other bay, the org and amigakit and nobody seems to have one. :thumbsdown:

I found some hack to solder chipram on to the motherboard but i think it has to be a rev6 and mine is 4.4.

@mike ... Yes i agree whdload is not stupid, i'm just bugged coz i can't play WizKid :lol:

Is this no good for you?

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=24956

It's been lurking for sale for a few months now.

imaga_050
3rd April 2012, 22:20
Are you sure you don't want to stand in line for the one i'm selling i'm not trying to fool anyone it's just that the socket that the wires were attached to originally were a bit cracked in the plastic so i can't include them. But other than that the box says for A500/A2000.
Hey it's your choice but if you are thinking about soldering in chip ram on the motherboard how hard can it be to solder 2 wires to an DIL socket?

dougal
3rd April 2012, 22:25
Are you sure you don't want to stand in line for the one i'm selling i'm not trying to fool anyone it's just that the socket that the wires were attached to originally were a bit cracked in the plastic so i can't include them. But other than that the box says for A500/A2000.
Hey it's your choice but if you are thinking about soldering in chip ram on the motherboard how hard can it be to solder 2 wires to an DIL socket?

Thanks. I'm going to PM you some questions (again :lol:). Will declare my intentions on your thread.

mjnurney
3rd April 2012, 22:26
i have one here , its just two wires to the gary chip or better still add a socket and solder to that and then pop the gary in.

merlinkv
4th April 2012, 05:45
@dougal

WHDLoad is in permanent development and each new revision fix some bugs and open new possibilities. Maybe new revisions runs only in Fast RAM? Maybe works with USB stacks in all systems? .... Maybe :whistle:

In my opinion is the best solution to play hundred of games from the HDD.... Imagine to play all games using FDD's.... like a nightmare.. :D

In anyway the WHDLoad Team is opened to suggestions and you can send your ideas to the Team members, I'm sure you receive an answer :)

dougal
4th April 2012, 06:36
@merlinkv

I was just venting out my frustration lol. I love whdload and i use a registered version which i paid for because i like it so much.

My point of frustration was that i would understand a requirement of 1.5 or 2mb chipram but its like the people who made slaves/installs that require 1.1mb... again one dot one megabyte were taking the pi55.

Anywayz other then that i fully support whdload and have to say that to me it is probably one of the most useful Amiga programs and with regards to games it IS the most useful app.

AndyLandy
4th April 2012, 07:48
Yeah, demanding a fraction more ChipRAM really is a joke! You could do a lot worse than poke Wepl about it. There might be a way around it.

:thumbsup:

merlinkv
4th April 2012, 09:57
Yes, it's true.

It's one of the big and frustrating issues... Why don't use only Fast RAM? :blink:

Maybe massive posts about this matters from all users will help ? :whistle:

FOL
6th April 2012, 12:43
Yeah, demanding a fraction more ChipRAM really is a joke! You could do a lot worse than poke Wepl about it. There might be a way around it.

Would'nt you have to alter all the slaves though?
Just a shame you cant use something like halfnhalf to trick it into thinking half the fast is chip, but after lots of looking around you cant not use fast as chipram, :(.

AndyLandy
7th April 2012, 12:04
Just a shame you cant use something like halfnhalf to trick it into thinking half the fast is chip, but after lots of looking around you cant not use fast as chipram, :(.

I'm no expert on WHDload, so you could well be right. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it's entirely down to the slaves demanding the extra ChipRAM. Maybe it's possible to get different versions of the slaves that aren't so RAM-demanding?

FOL
7th April 2012, 12:22

I'm no expert on WHDload, so you could well be right. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it's entirely down to the slaves demanding the extra ChipRAM. Maybe it's possible to get different versions of the slaves that aren't so RAM-demanding?

Hence my post, that would be a massive task, there is way to many slaves to to that.

AndyLandy
7th April 2012, 12:33

Hence my post, that would be a massive task, there is way to many slaves to to that.

I guess it depends on how many of them demand that much ChipRAM and indeed what you can actually do to a slave to reduce its memory footprint (or at least persuade it to use more FastRAM and less ChipRAM). Clearly doing it for every slave is a major undertaking, but there's no requirement to do it to them all. If it was me and I cared enough, I'd learn how to make WHDLoad slaves and maybe create new ones for the games I cared about. Still, this is all pretty hypothetical at this point!

dougal
7th April 2012, 13:22
I think a lot of the slaves, even of older ECS games were made with the average whdload machine in mind, that being an A1200 with 4MB or so of fastram.

Since the A1200 has 2MB of chipram as standard they probably just did not bother making some of the slaves that might have been a hassle to work on a 1MB chipram machine.

Shame really.