PDA

View Full Version : Whdload flashing when saving game

Mendel
5th April 2012, 20:17
When I save game, for example a game of Civilization:
My screen flashes black for about 20 times, saving takes like a minute. It is not even accessing hard drive most of the time, only when it gets out of the black mode briefly. Then it enters black again, seems like it is doing nothing for 5 seconds, then brief flash of game graphics, access hard drive for 1/10th of a second, back to black... after a while saving is complete and gaming can be resumed.

Is there anything that can be done to this?

BrooksterMax
5th April 2012, 21:00
I get this behaviour with Premier Manager 3, I think it is normal as whdload is somehow emulating a floppy disk for saving and this is a side effect.

Totally cool program, love how floppy only games & saves are now all HD playable.

rkauer
5th April 2012, 21:25
Are you using a 68000 Amiga without sufficient memory? I recall this behaviour on my (then amnesia mode) A600 with just 2Mb chip +1Mb fast.

Not even a blink on my A600 030 or heavily expanded A1200.

Mendel
5th April 2012, 21:35
I have Blizzard 1260 with 128MB fast ram on the card and 64 more on the scsi so there should be more than enough. Maybe there is some setting or tooltype or something that I am missing and my whdload cant use some of my ram because of that? I can for example load the whdload version of Beneath a steel sky though and I reckon that requires massive amounts of ram. It works.

Pretty much everything seems to work but this issue is there when saving game.

DrCinicus
5th April 2012, 21:57
I have Blizzard 1260 with 128MB fast ram on the card and 64 more on the scsi so there should be more than enough. Maybe there is some setting or tooltype or something that I am missing and my whdload cant use some of my ram because of that? I can for example load the whdload version of Beneath a steel sky though and I reckon that requires massive amounts of ram. It works.

Pretty much everything seems to work but this issue is there when saving game.

Did you use the PRELOAD tooltype ?

Bye

Mendel
5th April 2012, 22:07
I think whdload was preinstalled on classicwb39 or I installed it on top of it, not sure anymore... then I registered as in moved my registration keys to some folder and lost track of where the whdload is actually installed. Donīt know how to add preload tooltype either. Should I add it to the whdload itself somehow or to the game icon or what?

edit:
Just checked my civilization icon and there is the following:

Stacksize: 10240

Priority: 0

Start from: Workbench

Tooltypes:
SLAVE=CivilizationAGA.Slave
PRELOAD

So I guess I am using preload.

DrCinicus
5th April 2012, 22:24
So I guess I am using preload.

Sorry I confuse.

Check if the option NoWriteCache is active, on the Icon Tooltypes or in the
Whdload prefs file in the S drawer, if active disactive it.

Bye

Mendel
5th April 2012, 22:55
Seems like every line in whdload.prefs starts with a ;

So every option is commented out, including NoWriteCache.

-Acid-
6th April 2012, 00:27
I get this behaviour with Premier Manager 3, I think it is normal as whdload is somehow emulating a floppy disk for saving and this is a side effect.

Totally cool program, love how floppy only games & saves are now all HD playable.
Just to let you know, Premier 3 has it's own install and it saves to hd as well.

imaga_050
9th April 2012, 11:02
The flashing is because of the writedelay, which is a good thing because it ensures all data is written before retaking control of the hardware.
Or am i wrong here?

roy_bates
9th April 2012, 14:55
in think this is normal in whdload it happens on most games i have.

imaga_050
9th April 2012, 15:21
What's worse is the flashing when reading data, argh some games are almost worse than loading from floppy.
Of course this will never happen if you have enough memory for WHDLoad to preload the games.

danwood_uk
10th May 2014, 16:44
What's worse is the flashing when reading data, argh some games are almost worse than loading from floppy.
Of course this will never happen if you have enough memory for WHDLoad to preload the games.

My A1200 has 64mb of RAM and even with Preload I still get the flashing, it's particularly annoying on Cannon Fodder, ruins the legendary intro song. Any idea on how to stop it happening?

davideo
10th May 2014, 16:50
Seems like every line in whdload.prefs starts with a ;

So every option is commented out, including NoWriteCache.

The settings in the icon will overide the settings within whdload.settings

Firthy2002
12th May 2014, 15:37
Are you using the latest version of WHDLoad and the latest version of the slave?

merlinkv
13th May 2014, 07:03
My WHDLoad Prefs on A1200 with B1230 & 64 MB

;
; global configuration file for WHDLoad
; searched as "S:whdload.prefs"
;
; CLI-Arguments and ToolTypes will overwrite these !
;

CoreDumpPath=DH2:WHDLoad/CoreDump
MMU
NoWriteCache
ReadDelay=100
WriteDelay=100
SavePath=DH2:WHDLoad/Saves

;ButtonWait ;wait for button pressed (slave must support this)
;ChipNoCache ;disable cachebility of Chip-Memory
;ConfigDelay=400 ;wait to select options in splash window (1/50 seconds)
;CoreDumpPath=T: ;path for coredump files
;DebugKey=$5b ;rawkey code to quit with coredump (debug)
;ExecuteStartup=Execute S:WHDLoad-Startup ;command to execute on WHDLoad startup
;ExecuteCleanup=Execute S:WHDLoad-Cleanup ;command to execute on WHDLoad exit
;Expert ;selects expert mode
;FreezeKey=$5d ;rawkey code to enter HrtMon/TK
;FullChip ;save/restore complete chip memory
;MMU ;use MMU (for 68030)
;NoAutoVec ;ignore unwanted autovector interrupts
;NoFilter ;disable audio filter
;NoFlushMem ;do not flush memory
;NoMemReverse ;do not allocate memory reverse
;NoWriteCache ;disable the disk write cache
;NTSC ;force NTSC viedo mode
;PAL ;force PAL viedo mode
;QuitKey=$5a ;rawkey code to quit
;ReadDelay=150 ;wait after reading from disk (1/50 seconds)
;RestartKey=$5c ;rawkey code to restart
;SavePath=SYS:WHDSaves ;base directory for all saves
;ShowRegs=SYS:Utilities/MuchMore W WL=80 WT=80 WW=582 WH=700 ;command for Show Regs
;SplashDelay=200 ;time to display splash window (1/50 seconds)
;WriteDelay=150 ;wait after saving something to disk (1/50 seconds)

Works fine in near all games, but as other members say, check the icons tooltypes because they overwrite the WHDLoad Prefs. Also on 68K systems remember to disable MMU.

I hope this helps. :)