PDA

View Full Version : New build - single core performance?

robinsonb5
5th April 2012, 21:36
I'm playing around with FPGAs at the moment and finding, for the first time, that my Core2Duo at 1.86 GHz just isn't fast enough - building Minimig for the Chameleon with all the optimisations turned on is taking about 45 minutes! :blink:

So it's time I thought about an upgrade.

The full version of Quartus that supports parallel builds costs and as a hobbyist I really can't justify that - so my question is, what's the best processor to go for if I'm not too fussed about multiple cores but just want maximum performance for a single-threaded task?

AmiNeo
5th April 2012, 21:53
Personally I'd go with the i3. I got one of these myself recently and I'm more than impressed with its performance. Its price is amazing given that it performs better overall than my Q6600 system.

There are single core alternatives but I can't speak for those. I doubt they'd beat a cor2duo though as they're decent little chips. You can build the same i3 system for around 200 notes or less and the best part is the i3 has on-chip graphics that are on par with low end graphics cards so there's no need to splash out on that if you're not after a modern gaming system.

i3s themselves retail for about 90 notes if you shop around. It's the best chip on the market for the money IMO. (Got mine from Amazon UK).

My current system specs (what I bought for the 200 notes):
i3 2100 @ 3.2GHz (Stock speed)
8GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz
ASUS P8H61-M USB3 Motherboard
Nice little Basic Casecom mATX case

cosmicfrog
5th April 2012, 22:06
I had a Core2Duo at 1.86 Now I got an Q6600 strange world indeed :D

AmiNeo
5th April 2012, 22:20
LOL CF you have MY Q6600 :P Well it was once mine.

I actually have a Core2Duo in my laptop as well.... Very strange world!

robinsonb5
5th April 2012, 22:57
Personally I'd go with the i3. I got one of these myself recently and I'm more than impressed with its performance. Its price is amazing given that it performs better overall than my Q6600 system.

Thanks - I've not really kept up with where processors went after Core2Duo. :)

There are single core alternatives but I can't speak for those. I doubt they'd beat a cor2duo though as they're decent little chips.

Yup, I'm not after a single-core processor, specifically - just that single-core performance is more important to me than lots of cores.

You can build the same i3 system for around 200 notes or less and the best part is the i3 has on-chip graphics that are on par with low end graphics cards so there's no need to splash out on that if you're not after a modern gaming system.

Yeah that's the only fly in the ointment for me - I tend to use Linux for the main rig, and I've heard that the built-in GPU can cause issues for using a decent graphics card. Maybe it's more of an issue for laptops than desktops?

Thanks for the advice anyway - I know where to start looking now :)

AmiNeo
5th April 2012, 23:27
Well I'm using mine with a GTX280 right now and while it is a desktop, all I can say is that I have no complaints, no issues at all that I've seen.

FYI, the i3 is a dual core with Hyperthreading on each core. So effectively 2 physical cores and 2 virtual.

They're also rather low power consuming vs the rest of the CPU market at this performance level. 32nm @ 65Watt Max. Quite impressive given they outperform AMDs 125Watt 980 Black Edition CPUs by a fair bit :D.

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

Oh and FYI, I use Fedora in dual-boot :) Perhaps its a driver issue?

---------- Post added at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was at 23:16 ----------

Benchmarks, info and tests on the CPU in question here...

http://www.channelpro.co.uk/reviews/6543/intel-core-i3-2100-review