PDA

View Full Version : Burn Subway Burn :(

fitzsteve
6th April 2012, 18:16
A bit out of character for me, but it looks like I've destroyed a Subway USB, after switching on it started to glow orange, at first I thought it was an LED then I realised what I'd done and switched it straight off, let even though I thought I'd checked and double checked I'd plugged it in the wrong way round :(

I've taken the plastic jacket off and one component seems to have taken all the heat, is it Game Over? :Doh:

Anyone know what chip this is and if it can be replaced?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMAG0244-1.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMAG0245-1.jpg

Justin
6th April 2012, 18:24
is that a burn on the lattice chip as well m8? :(

johnim
6th April 2012, 18:26
it does look like it above the 4

fitzsteve
6th April 2012, 18:26
is that a burn on the lattice chip as well m8? :(

I don't think so mate, I hope not anyway - costly mistake and I was bloody reading this page as well - some how the cable fold confused me :(

http://www.e3b.de/usb/main_mounting_e.html

cosmicfrog
6th April 2012, 18:28
It happens to us all, least you got to see the magic smoke and the light show :o

fitzsteve
6th April 2012, 18:51
Well I've taken the chip off (gotta love hot air) but the pads look like toast :explode

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMAG0246-1.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMAG0247-1.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMAG0248-1.jpg

Even if I get another chip there isn't much left to solder it to :computertrash:

Might be another one for Zetr0's hardware graveyard :(

keropi
6th April 2012, 18:53
I have burned a subway too by plugging it the wrong way some 5-6 years ago IIRC
IIRC I sent it to M. Boehmer and he fixed it , fitzsteve it would worth to email him and ask him about that

johnim
6th April 2012, 18:54
looking at top pic the tracks are close to a pad an other track so should be ok thats if you can find a replacement chip mate

salaxi54
6th April 2012, 18:57
Pads may look like toast, but tracks don't seem damaged!
And if the logic chip is the only casualty, i think you're in for an easy recovery. I've seen boards get much worse damage from battery leakage.. :thumbsup: Wanna show us the pulled chip up close, so we know what it is? I think some subways have a variety of what you got there.

bebek
6th April 2012, 19:13
Unfortunately it looks like there is a hole in Lattice too ...

Justin
6th April 2012, 19:17
it does look like it above the 4

yeah it does look like a hole above the "4" on the lattice chip, any chance of a close up of that one m8?

fitzsteve
6th April 2012, 19:22
It's too dark in here now to get any more decent close up pics, indeed it might be a little hole :(

I might contact M. Boehmer as keropi suggests and see if he can advise.

@salaxi54

Can't read anything better than you can see here:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm105/fitzsteve/IMAG0245-1.jpg

salaxi54
6th April 2012, 19:31
I guess we can soon find out from another Subway..
As about the Lattice chip, they run cheap; question is, who would program one for ya?

MZ3540
7th April 2012, 04:10
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=27537
ARRGGHH!
That's what I was paranoid about.

I'm so sorry to hear about this mate

portarinos
7th April 2012, 04:30
Did the same some months ago. Contacted Michael Bohmer and he offers to fix it if it was repairable. It wasn't so he offered me a new one at a discounted price. That simple!:D

fitzsteve
7th April 2012, 07:56
@MZ3540

Was done on my A1200 just testing the board, should have put it straight in the A4000T!
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-gb; HTC_DesireHD Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1

lostrego
7th April 2012, 11:30
Sorry mate hope you can manage to get it alive again, is surprishing that if they are so easy to put in the wrong way why the designer does not put any kind of protection? I think that a couple of diodes here and there would do the trick.

At least every bus connector based in a flat ribbon cable seems to have this kind of protection, if not I would have killed dozens of IDE and floppy ports :)

bebek
7th April 2012, 16:20
Sorry mate hope you can manage to get it alive again, is surprishing that if they are so easy to put in the wrong way why the designer does not put any kind of protection? I think that a couple of diodes here and there would do the trick.

At least every bus connector based in a flat ribbon cable seems to have this kind of protection, if not I would have killed dozens of IDE and floppy ports :)

IDE and floppy ports have no power lines. Try 2.5" .

lostrego
7th April 2012, 19:07
You're right, don't know in what I was thinking about :unsure:

BLTCON0
8th April 2012, 10:19
IDE and floppy ports have no power lines. Try 2.5" .

An exception is the Epson SMD-400 floppy drive, this draws power from the cable (3 of the GND lines have become +5V).
Amiga-wise, this has been used in the Datalux SV-702 external floppy drive.

Spaffy
8th April 2012, 10:26
Ouch ! :(
The latice does look to have a scortch mark too

Bamiga2002
10th April 2012, 16:25
About a year ago I burned the gray clockport connector cable myself connecting it the wrong way around in Subway. Luckily the Subway wasn't damaged at all, but I think that's just luck and quick reflexes that saved mine from burning.
Had to order a new cable from Amigakit anyway...

fitzsteve
10th April 2012, 23:49
Got a reply from Michael Boehmer, if it cannot be repaired he can replace at discount.

Really good that this kind of support still exists for our Miggy's :)

Retrofan
11th April 2012, 00:17
Glad to know that mate. BTW nobody has said, but you've got a rat in your shoulder...:o

salaxi54
11th April 2012, 06:45
Glad to know that mate. BTW nobody has said, but you've got a rat in your shoulder...:o

I'd like to think it's on his shoulder rather than IN. If it was in, i'd be worried! :D

Justin
11th April 2012, 06:56

its a guinea pig not a rat

cosmicfrog
11th April 2012, 07:33
Its a result from Michael Boehmer thats what it is hehehehhe

Bamiga2002
11th April 2012, 09:01
Got a reply from Michael Boehmer, if it cannot be repaired he can replace at discount.

Really good that this kind of support still exists for our Miggy's :)Good news for you! :)
The Subway is really a nice piece of hw for A1200.

voxel
11th April 2012, 09:25
A bit out of character for me, but it looks like I've destroyed a Subway USB, after switching on it started to glow orange, at first I thought it was an LED then I realised what I'd done and switched it straight off, let even though I thought I'd checked and double checked I'd plugged it in the wrong way round :(

Hello :-(

arg ! this was a new subway, yes ? and there wasn't any in your Amiga before ?
can you make a picture of your A1200 mobo clockport area and post it here please ? need to look at it,

For repair you should contact E3B, Michael could perhaps fix it.

Amigalement,
JF Voxel, Voxel Amiga Shop. :-)

Bamiga2002
11th April 2012, 10:18
voxel he already had contact with Michael
repair/replacement is on the way IIUC! :)

fitzsteve
11th April 2012, 10:21
Thanks guys :)

That is indeed my Guinea Pig Rocky!

@voxel,

The Motherboard & cable look ok, I think that chip took the full brunt of it!

Have already emailed Michael & will send it off shortly and keep my fingers crossed :coffee:

As said he will do a discounted replacement for me which is great should it be unable to repair.

Lesson learned the hard way here!

Steve.

Bamiga2002
11th April 2012, 10:27
Reminds me of the picky internal IDE-controller of A600/A1200: connect the 2.5" cable the wrong way -> bye bye IDE-port/HD :Doh:

merlinkv
25th April 2012, 06:40
Bad day yesterday.... :(

My fault :Doh: Clockport cable wrong connected and my new subway is dead... mobo and subway looks OK, no burned tracks, pads or components... just cable is burned in hell.

The A1200 works fine all peripheals, PPC, Mediator, sound, video, ..... but Subway not.

Maybe a resistor or capacitor? The ICs appears to be OK. Anyone have a components list of the Subway?

Thanks

fitzsteve
25th April 2012, 08:22
Sorry to hear that my friend, that really sux. :(

I will PM you the address to contact Michael at E3B, hopefully he can help.

I need to follow up my last email and send him my dead board.

Steve.

Bamiga2002
25th April 2012, 12:40
Bad day yesterday.... :(

My fault :Doh: Clockport cable wrong connected and my new subway is dead... mobo and subway looks OK, no burned tracks, pads or components... just cable is burned in hell.

The A1200 works fine all peripheals, PPC, Mediator, sound, video, ..... but Subway not.

Maybe a resistor or capacitor? The ICs appears to be OK. Anyone have a components list of the Subway?

ThanksThe same thing happened to me, all I did was order a replacement cable from AmigaKit and all was Ok. How do you know the Subway doesn't work if you got a fried cable to test with?

merlinkv
25th April 2012, 15:01
@Bamiga2002

Hi mate,

I have also two new clockport cables ;), but not work......

@fitzsteve

Hi Steve, my friend.

Thanks a lot I wait your news :thumbsup:

All the best

Pablo

Bamiga2002
25th April 2012, 15:07
Oh buggers then! :dry:

Darn Subways, so good but so delicate.

chiark
25th April 2012, 15:11

It's a siberian hamster.

merlinkv
25th April 2012, 15:12
Oh buggers then! :dry:

Darn Subways, so good but so delicate.

Yeah!..... :(

With a list of the SMD components I can try to repair, not for programming the ICs, of course, but maybe is a resistor or capacitor fault?

alexh
25th April 2012, 15:17
Fitting a connector / cable which can do this without having a key is just dumb on the half of the original developer (i.e. Commodore).

I assume absolutely every pin on the connector used for data / power & gnd and hence no place for a key?

fitzsteve
25th April 2012, 15:28

It's a siberian hamster.

Rocky is in fact a Guinea Pig, he was just 8 weeks or so old in the picture, hence why he was small ;)

acadiel
4th September 2013, 20:38
Hey, OP, did you get yours fixed?

I just inherited one with that same chip being burned....

I did ping Michael, and I will send it to him to take a look. The Lattice chip on mine looks OK, though, it's just that TI TPS2044A/B chip.

fitzsteve
4th September 2013, 22:15
Hey acadiel, mine was beyond repair sadly :-(

Michael said I could buy a replacement at a reduced cost but I didn't as I had 2 more subways here.

I never asked the price however.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-gb; HTC_DesireHD Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1