PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Someone to build my the A2386 vga switch

Xanxi
12th April 2012, 17:14
Hi.

Looking for someone skilled enough with electronics to build me a working vga switch for my A2386 (it uses the mini DIN port of the board to switch by software).

Everything is on aminet.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9169/vga150.jpg

http://aminet.net/package/docs/hard/BBSwitch1.0

Name a price and i will pay for the service.

Thanks amibay.

djbase
12th April 2012, 17:31
I could but have by now no idea for price (maybe 30 Euro for good quality). Need some research for parts.

Xanxi
12th April 2012, 17:41
I could but have by now no idea for price (maybe 30 Euro for good quality). Need some research for parts.

It would be great :-)
Please tell me when you know about the parts and do not forget to also include your own price for the job.
Thanks.

BlindGerMan
12th April 2012, 18:34
Perhaps you can build two of them? I own a A2386, too! :)

djbase
12th April 2012, 18:45
Perhaps you can build two of them? I own a A2386, too! :)

Sure, makes the thing a bit cheaper for all I guess. :thumbsup:

BlindGerMan
12th April 2012, 19:41
A man, a word!! :D

So I am on board!!! :lol:

Tahoe
13th April 2012, 13:40
Count me in for one too; please ! :)

Xanxi
13th April 2012, 20:09
That's really cool for the 3 of us to have found someone as skilled as DJBase. Do you still have some of those clockport expanders by the way mate? :-)

djbase
14th April 2012, 06:31
That's really cool for the 3 of us to have found someone as skilled as DJBase. Do you still have some of those clockport expanders by the way mate? :-)

Yes, I do have them. Let me know what you need.

Snb3
15th April 2012, 00:51
Maybe you could build me one as well? I also have a A2386. Will send you a PM.

Xanxi
9th May 2012, 08:03
Hi djbase.
Any news about this project? :)

Xanxi
23rd June 2012, 23:06
Still hoping that someone can build me this device :help:

Amstrad
24th June 2012, 12:43
Cosmos coudn't fix it :unsure:

BlindGerMan
24th June 2012, 13:12
And I am still interested, too.

So please :help:!!!

Xanxi
1st September 2012, 22:18
I want two now, because i have another A2386 in sight!

Xanxi
15th September 2012, 10:45
UP! Still looking for this please.

Xanxi
25th December 2012, 21:41
Still looking for someone to build me 2 of these devices for my 2 A2386sx :-)

Xanxi
22nd February 2013, 12:44
Still needing someone for that. At least one :)

roy_bates
22nd February 2013, 12:50
couldnt you use a ps2 vga kvm switch?

Xanxi
22nd February 2013, 13:09
Sure, but as a matter of fact, i already have a manual VGA switch with 4 entries (one for my A1200, one for my Mac Mini, one for the Spectrum of my A2000 and one for the STB Nitro of my A2000 bridgeboard). It is a bit complicated to have two KVM one after another.
Besides, the A2386 special switcher is controled by software from the workbench.
It would also free a VGA entry for something else (Dreamcast, PC laptop, whatever).

johnim
22nd February 2013, 18:55
roy wouldnt the switch you made work for this :whistle:

roy_bates
22nd February 2013, 19:05
---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

roy wouldnt the switch you made work for this :whistle:

i was thinking that,and then i thought theres so many ways of making this work with components out there.

and then making it automatic.

so far, ive seen about ten(i jest you not) fully automatic vga switches all capable of doing the same thing(yes i did look at the schematic in this thread) rattes auto switch would work as well i reckon.

Xanxi
22nd February 2013, 19:14
Ah you are building another type of switch?

Don't forget that unlike a "native chipset / RTG" switch, on which only one output is active at once, the A2386 fully multitasks with the Amiga and both Amiga and PC outputs are active.
Only the mouse/keyboard (controlled by software) can only be used by one system at once.

What happened to DJBase by the way? He is marked as "banned".

roy_bates
22nd February 2013, 19:28
Ah you are building another type of switch?

Don't forget that unlike a "native chipset / RTG" switch, on which only one output is active at once, the A2386 fully multitasks with the Amiga and both Amiga and PC outputs are active.
Only the mouse/keyboard (controlled by software) can only be used by one system at once.

What happened to DJBase by the way? He is marked as "banned".

yes i realise that(its the same on rtg systems(the display is still there you just cant use the one not in use),i wont get into it here)all i need is a reading in two states from a multimeter from two pins.

i'll find out what pins and be back...

i dont know what happened to djbase.

EDIT:you have to find out what the voltages are on the 4 pin connector on pins 3 and 1 when the card screen is active and when the cards screen is not.

pin 3 is signal , pin 1 is ground.

Xanxi
14th March 2013, 22:53
EDIT:you have to find out what the voltages are on the 4 pin connector on pins 3 and 1 when the card screen is active and when the cards screen is not.

pin 3 is signal , pin 1 is ground.

I don't have a multimeter to measure voltages unfortunately.

However, i can tell that on my current setup, which operates with an external manual VGA switchbox with an entry for the Amiga output (GVP Spectrum + Indi ECS autoswitched by the Spectrum) and another for the SVGA card from the PC side.
The output from the PC side is always on: even if i do not Amiga-M to the PC screen, there is always something on the PC side screen that i can see when manually switching on it. However, when the PC side is active, the Amiga side output is black except the red mouse arrow that remains visible when switching manually the VGA box.
The sure thing is that the design for Aminet is made for that bridgeboard and wil certainly work as intended.

Xanxi
4th May 2013, 21:18
I still hope to have at least one of these device some day :roll:

BlindGerMan
4th May 2013, 21:41
You are not the only one, my friend! :)

Xanxi
21st March 2014, 19:04
In case someone would be willing to build me this, i am still interested, and probably others too.

roy_bates
22nd March 2014, 20:00
im pretty sure the parts can be got for this still.(the most expensive part being the max 465)
yeah,i got curious and looked after a couple of beers.
the only part that has no reference is the dc to dc power convertor,but an equivalent could easily be got for the +5 to -5 volt conversion to do the same job...-5 volt 50ma max for both devices?
and maybe the ground plane would need looking at on the inputs and outputs

looking at the schematic(a quick look),i reckon you could just get one of rattes auto switchers(or any of the others out there) and make some cables bung it all in a project box with three vga ports and a length of cable wired to a mini 4 pin connector and it will just work(minus rattes software as its switched from the pc side)
maybe with the addition of a 4.7k resistor between pin 3 and +5 to assist in the switch between inputs.

if your wondering, it just switches the rgb and v/sync and h/sync signals just like the others.it doesent care about frequency.
(just like kvm's it recieves a on or off signal and just switches inputs)

the only problem with making it is not having the hardware to actually test it on that it will be made for...

and that is the best explanation i can give you.:)

Bryce
22nd March 2014, 22:09
I'm kind of up to my ears at the moment, but I can take a look at making a few of these in the near future. Are you looking for one done with a professionally made PCB, or would a handwired prototype be sufficient?

Can you send me a high-res picture of the schematic?

Bryce.

Edit: According to the documents, the device is copyrighted. I (or you) would have to contact the author for permission to reproduce it.

roy_bates
22nd March 2014, 22:36
I'm kind of up to my ears at the moment, but I can take a look at making a few of these in the near future. Are you looking for one done with a professionally made PCB, or would a handwired prototype be sufficient?

Can you send me a high-res picture of the schematic?

Bryce.

Edit: According to the documents, the device is copyrighted. I (or you) would have to contact the author for permission to reproduce it.

thats odd,why on earth are the schematics on aminet?
why even bother publishing the schematics at all?

i never looked at the docs at all,just the schematic in the first post.
dont you think thats a bit strange?

Bryce
22nd March 2014, 23:29
No idea, but that's the authors choice. You can read it yourself in the file. He doesn't say you can't build it, he just says you need to ask his permission, you can't make any changes to it (he doesn't mention what constitutes a change) and you have to sell it at a certain price which also didn't seem to be mentioned. Or have I misunderstood something?

Bryce.

roy_bates
23rd March 2014, 00:02
No idea, but that's the authors choice. You can read it yourself in the file. He doesn't say you can't build it, he just says you need to ask his permission, you can't make any changes to it (he doesn't mention what constitutes a change) and you have to sell it at a certain price which also didn't seem to be mentioned. Or have I misunderstood something?

Bryce.

a certain price? dont know how that would work considering.

i was just wondering what would happen if someone made one or two for themselves.
i'll have to have look mate.

EDIT:hmm interesting,it seems to be freeware.and cant be included in a commercial product without his permission.
i wonder how that would work when just two or three was made for cost.or even a handful of units.(i dont think he would object to that somehow)
i mean it wont work on anything but this setup without modification.(cables and software etc)
and does indeed seem to be controlled from the pc end via software,not unlike anything not already seen for amigas with rtg now.

Bryce
23rd March 2014, 10:49
Yes, very confusing, I mean how can hardware be freeware anyway? And what constitutes a change? Layout change? Using flyleads instead of connector headers? Does anyone know if the guy is still active?

Bryce.

ronaldvd_nl
23rd March 2014, 11:55
To work around any possible legal issues, you could even consider a redesign from scratch.
Using a more modern VGA multiplexer such as the MAX4885, the switch could be build from just one IC and require only a +5V supply. The only disadvantage I can see would be that this device could be tricky to hand solder, as it's only 5x5mm with 32 pins.

roy_bates
23rd March 2014, 14:14
Yes, very confusing, I mean how can hardware be freeware anyway? And what constitutes a change? Layout change? Using flyleads instead of connector headers? Does anyone know if the guy is still active?

Bryce.

yes,exactly,im not sure myself how that would work if at all.

i had a little bit of a look and some Chinese ps2 vga switches use the max 465 still.

anyway,i have no idea if the guy is still active in any way since 1995.
your guess is as good as anyone's.
and ,having someone pop out of nowhere after 20 years saying,oh,thats my design buddy:lol:
is a bit off putting.

better off to redesign the thing with off the shelf parts to do the same job,to be perfectly honest,i dont think it would be too difficult...

like ive said earlier any analogue rgb components will do this,its only switching five signals just like the others out there.

Xanxi
23rd March 2014, 15:45
Thanks all for you interest in this thread :-)
Actually, even a hardwired prototype would be great for me. But a professionnal made could be interesting too because we are several members interested in this device.
Another switcher could do, but this one is designed for that board and there is a software for it.
With a bridgeboard and VGA card, my A4000 (the board has been relocated from my A2000 to my A4000 after this thread started) has no less than 3 VGA ouputs. Would be great to use only one output for all (integrated switcher of the C64-3D + the bridgeboard switching device).
Would the author mind is someone uses this 15-20 years after he made the design?

roy_bates
23rd March 2014, 16:35
Thanks all for you interest in this thread :-)
Actually, even a hardwired prototype would be great for me. But a professionnal made could be interesting too because we are several members interested in this device.
Another switcher could do, but this one is designed for that board and there is a software for it.
With a bridgeboard and VGA card, my A4000 (the board has been relocated from my A2000 to my A4000 after this thread started) has no less than 3 VGA ouputs. Would be great to use only one output for all (integrated switcher of the C64-3D + the bridgeboard switching device).
Would the author mind is someone uses this 15-20 years after he made the design?

that would be awesome(and possible),a three way automatic video switch...hmm.:D
and i believe you could fit it all inside your amiga.

anyway,i doubt he would care after so long,but there is always that possibility.

i know you might think this switch is the only option for that card electrically,it isent.
the only important part is the software to trigger a signal for it to work, bryce would probably agree.:)

Bryce
24th March 2014, 15:49
So I had a few minutes to spare and ran up a quick copy of the switch in Eagle to check out what kind of dimensions it would need. I used a 1W fully isolated +/-5V DC/DC converter (NMA0505D) which is available in an SIL form factor. A 2W version might be needed, but the pinout and footprint should be the same. The PCB is approx. 45mm x 66mm, two layers. The SMD parts are under the PCB with the connectors and electrolytic capacitors on the top.

Are there any dimensions (space between connectors / overall height / PCB length / width) that matter to get it to fit somewhere exact inside the Amiga?

I also checked out the component prices and they aren't all that good. The DC/DC converter costs about 5.50 each and the MAX465 part seems to be more than 10 in most places!! This device isn't going to be very cheap to build.

Here's some screenshots for your viewing pleasure :) These haven't been checked at all, so don't go running out and ordering parts/PCBs based on these! I haven't added the ground plane either, so that it's easier to see the details.

Bryce.

roy_bates
24th March 2014, 15:56
very nice mate,well done:thumbsup:

yes, the max465 is going to be the most expensive part as you have found.

Xanxi
24th March 2014, 20:00
Nice work Bryce :-)
So what would be a possible price for this device?

Bryce
27th March 2014, 11:34
These are complete ballpark figures, so just a general direction, don't quote me on these: For a small batch (about 10) with professionally made PCBs:

PCB = 10
Connectors = 2
-5V regulator = 5.50
74HCT157 = 0,40
MAX 465 = 15,50 (ebay price, haven't found real supplier for these parts yet)
Discrete parts = 1,50

Add another 10 for the delivery of these parts to me and probably another 7 postage to get the device to you...

Comes to: 51

With a larger batch the price would come down a bit on the PCBs and if I could find a proper supplier for the MAX465 it might come down quite a bit.

Bryce.

Xanxi
7th April 2014, 20:02
Do not forget to add money for the service :-)
It sure gets a little expensive byt we may find 10 members interested. I am of course, perhaps BlindGerman ans some others?

Bryce
8th April 2014, 09:43
There's a (very) small percentage added in there for the service.

Bryce.