Templar

In Finem Vobis Videtur De Christiana
VIP
Country
Hellas
Region
Cydonia
Well, it happened that also. :whistle:

As many of you know the Amiga CD32 console, apart from RF and Composite outputs, it has also a S-Video one for better picture quality. Whereas this is a neat feature, it seems that with my new LG TV, something went wrong.

And as you mostly know, new and modern TVs haven't an SVideo input (rarely to find one), but at least they have a SCART connector. So far so good. I will get an adapter and I will connect my CD32 via SVideo to SCART's TV.

But what the hell? No color? Only monochrone output? Is something to do with the TV's protocol or what? :Doh:

My CD32 system is 100% PAL and not NTSC, as in my previously TV even with SVideo input I had a crystal colorful display.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Did a search and found an S-Video to SCART cable, but I don't know if I'll have the same results.

S-Video leads are very weak and the pins can be bent/broken with ease if not handled carefully.

Have you got another lead to test it with?

Dave G :cool:

Tv probably needs to be told it is receiving an s-video input than std scart

If the TV does not have dedicated svideo sockets then I doubt the scart would be capable also as they would use the same circuit.

Pop up your tv make and model and we shall have a look for you

TC ;)

Yup. My TV SCART input has two "input" settings. RGB/Composite and Svideo.

Set to RGB/CVBS you get just black and white because the SCART CVBS pin 20 is SVideo Luma (brightness).

But what the hell? No color? Only monochrone output? Is something to do with the TV's protocol or what? :Doh:

I got that when i hooked my cd32 up at a retro party. tried to take the svideo cable in and out a couple of times without luck, then tried the second port - suddenly it was colors.

You know, S-video is Luminance (intensity) and Crominance (Color). if only luminance is picked up, your kind of screwed. ;)

Yup. My TV SCART input has two "input" settings. RGB/Composite and Svideo.

Set to RGB/CVBS you get just black and white because the SCART CVBS pin 20 is SVideo Luma (brightness).

Panasonic, used to love doing this trick.
I believe Toshiba also.

All right, who has the skills to help me? :)

Instead the wire, put a 100nF capacitor in the pins.

Will work, but all you will receive is composite again.

If the TV doesn't have Svideo input , then it not have the circuit to work with it, sorry.

Antonis, the problem is not the connector, is the TV internal circuitry.

If it doesn't have Svideo capacity, doesn't matter the SCART plug. Some SCART plugs are just composite and nothing more hooked in. Tell me about waste of space.

I don't disagree with that, but connecting something to composite or SCART you can easily see the difference in picture quality.

I know that, my friend.

The problem is that most TV makers simply don't put the little circuitry for svideo in the SCART connector. So you can only use composite or RGB.

Antonis, i have only now noticed your thread. Never been involved in using a CD32 as a 'computer' until i restored one.. :p
Anyway, i see that the machine has various was of outputing video.
RF, S-Video and composite (RCA). First off start by testing your CD32's output to a C= monitor, via the RCA output. That way you can tell if you get color output. Logically speaking your 1084 -or whatever model you have- would be PAL. If you get color from there, you would at least have a working output. Now, maybe you're selecting the correct input port on your telly, but perhaps the settings on your menu aren't correct?
Most of todays tv sets are actually multisystem. Perhaps there's an input selection left on NTSC by mistake or default?

With the previous TV, CD32 via S-Video was colorful and as it should be. I bought a new LG TV for my bedroom, but it has only a SCART connector, not S-Video input. That's why the problem with the adapter.

If you follow my link, you'll see how is that fixed.

If you mean the link to the Scart adapter, i know what that is.
Do you still have your old telly? Can you try that out? If so, do you still get color out of the CD32?
Some more questions:
Do you have a vcr or a dvd player that you can connect to your new tv and check if you get color through Scart?
Have you been through the tv's menu to check if there's a selection for PAL or NTSC on the video input?
What model is your new telly?

Don't 'break' your head with difficult riddles. :D

All I want someone to do this to that adapter in the link, as I have exactly the same adapter.

Back
Top Bottom