Could an HP JetDirect 170x be used to network an Amiga?

Merlin

Ministry of Retr0bright and Street Judge
VIP
Country
UK
Region
Manchester
They are having another electronics throw-out at work and there are several HP JetDirect 170x print server devices in the scrap box. These devices convert ethernet ports to parallel ports, so that printers can be used on a network. They have an RJ45 socket for an ethernet cable and a 25-pin parallel port.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/e...-64302-64302-27317.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_UKEN

Now, here's where Merlin has had a wierd idea... if these convert ethernet ports to parallel ports, could these be connected to Amiga parallel ports for file transfer over a network? After all, a print document being sent over a network is a file transfer.... could the Amiga talk to one of these devices via something like Parnet?

I dunno, but as these are headed to that big electronic File 13 in the sky, I thought another use could be found for them. If anyone wants one anyway, let me know and I'll obtain some as they may be useful to networking dudes and dudettes on here.

Re: Could an HP JetDirect 170x be used to network an Amiga?

Almost that, friend.

As far as I know, those devices have only one direction: ethernet to parallel, not bi-directional (as pure parallel or pure ethernet). Too bad.

But maybe someone with the hardware in hands can test if my statement is wrong. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom